Gransnet forums

Chat

What did your parents think?

(97 Posts)
MissAdventure Tue 14-Jan-20 15:50:17

When they first met your husband/wife?
My mum always had a love/hate relationship with my ex.
Apparently he took great big steps all around her living room (one of her reasons!)

Conners12 Fri 17-Jan-20 22:17:14

Hated him from the moment she laid eyes on him. When it all went south as predicted by my mum, it took her all her resolve to say I told you so. It was 25 years later though.

Blinko Thu 16-Jan-20 09:03:26

My Dad never liked my DH, and tried to dissuade me from marrying him. I'm not sure that Dad would have liked anyone I was thinking of marrying. Fortunately Mum was less judgmental. When Dad died, Mum and DH got on famously, till she died.

We've been married over 50 years.

Lilyflower Thu 16-Jan-20 05:58:40

My parents were divorced but my mum liked and got on with the DH from the first. She thought I was lucky to find him - and I was. We met dad rarely and he was always polite to the DH but I think he thought he was a bit of a middle class wimp and that we were both stuck up.

His parents thought I wasn’t good enough for him (despite being, by that time, a teacher and, therefore, ‘respectable’.) After a few decades they realised I was there to stay and calmed down a bit.

Jani31 Wed 15-Jan-20 23:49:55

I was the daughter that FIL never had. To MIL, I took away her precious son. He was the one that strayed, I kept my vows till the day he died, I was blamed by MIL for letting it happen ?

Phoebes Wed 15-Jan-20 22:35:01

My parents liked my husband when he was a boyfriend but when we told them we were going to get married they were horrified because he wasn’t a solicitor, a doctor or a teacher! They didn’t want me to marry a Greek waiter/chef/bar manager! I was 39 when I met him, so I think I was old enough to know what I was doing!
In fact, they were so nasty, I actually gave back my front door key! My fiancé talked me into going to see them and my father buried the hatchet by giving him one of his ties!!! and they did come to the wedding.
I don’t think my Dad ever really came to terms with our marriage and he died a couple of years later. Even though my husband was always wonderful to her, my Mum still kept saying that the wished he was a solicitor until her dying day! She adored our daughter though!
We’ve been married for nearly 37 years now and have had our ups and downs with my health but we are still very happy and absolutely devoted to each other!

PenE Wed 15-Jan-20 21:08:44

my mum told me that I would meet someone better when I went away to college, Just before she died she told me she had been wrong and that I had chosen well. My Dad had told me a few years before he passed that my husband was a lovely man who would always put me and the kids first in his life. I have known my husband since I was 16. We got engaged at 18 married at 21 and I knew both my parents were iffy about it, I'm 62 now and although we have had bumpy patches I still feel the same about him and glad we are together.

angie95 Wed 15-Jan-20 20:41:56

My parents hated my husband, because he took me away from them, they weren't old, it's just that I looked after my sister, did the shopping, cleaning etc! She even made me choose,"him or me" we've been together now for over 35 years, married for 27 this August, X

Harris27 Wed 15-Jan-20 19:24:12

My mam and dad loved my husband right until the day they died. He visited my mum in the care home right till the moment she passed away. He did all the things a son would of done for my dad as well and took him to the hospital fir his first and last appointment.

SalsaQueen Wed 15-Jan-20 19:24:11

My husband was 19 when I took him home to meet my parents. They thought he was possibly a Hell's Angel as he rode a motorbike, wore a leather jacket, and had shoulder-length hair. They soon realised he was nothing of the sort.

Flowerofthewest Wed 15-Jan-20 19:20:06

Does he take arsenic or cyanide in his tea? ( she could see no wrong in my ex)
Luckily he's won her round after almost 40 years.

grannymy Wed 15-Jan-20 17:53:43

They liked him. He dumped me after thirty odd years. My mum likes my new partner even more as he is such a lovely man. My ex did me a favour! lol

Alittlemadam Wed 15-Jan-20 17:49:25

My parents were wary of my DH as he was 15 yes older than me, then they really liked him and treated him.as one of there own. Fast forward 8 years and like most couples we had a few issues they sided with me and their relationship broke down and they hadn't a good word for him. We went several years where they didn't speak and then my Dad feel ill. DH did all he could to support me and them, although they didn't really change. Dad passed on the day of the funeral mom spoke to DH thanked him.for all the support and now they get on like they did at the begining.

Humbertbear Wed 15-Jan-20 16:09:01

They were very disappointed because once I met him I decided not to go away to uni and he was the ‘wrong’ religion. I left home to live with him and they accepted it all as a fait accompli and signed for us to get married (I was only 18, those were the days). They grew to love him.

arosebyanyothername Wed 15-Jan-20 15:28:40

Mum and Dad like both mine and my sister's future husbands.
My mum said she gained 2 sons.

Decembergirl Wed 15-Jan-20 14:51:59

No - didn’t like because clearly not from the same sort of family as us!! Based on nothing more than he didn’t come from the south!! However I did marry my lovely young flying officer in 1973 ??

FearlessSwiftie Wed 15-Jan-20 14:39:00

My father hates practically everyone (me included) so I don`t think he was happy about the fact that somewhere here there is a guy whom I call my boyfriend. And my mother likes my man, I believe.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 15-Jan-20 14:36:26

I think my parents liked my husband and why wouldn't they? He was nice. I was more worried about what he thought of them - Dad was very opinionated and loved to start a quarrel just for entertainment value, Mum was a quiet peacemaker.

Mambypamby Wed 15-Jan-20 14:30:15

MissAdventure this made me howl with laughter! Just the sort of reason my mother would have. She dislikes my current partner because he peers over his glasses. The last one - has big feet that were always in the way. And she hated my ex husband all the time I was married to him (sweet as pie to his face) but as soon as divorce was on the cards he was the best thing ever!

sarahellenwhitney Wed 15-Jan-20 14:29:40

My parents never interfered with any of my relationships. They liked my future husband as much as they liked him When my father suddenly passed way H did every thing he could for my mother. It was never any trouble as far as H was concerned and he did the same for me when I lost my mother.

Fronkydonky Wed 15-Jan-20 14:22:38

Dad always got on with my husband but mother resented him always and would make unkind remarks behind his back. He’s been an excellent husband & father for 35 years and would not stand for her nonsense ( she thinks she can control everyone even though she’s approaching 80). She has to tolerate him nowadays as he was extremely supportive to us all when my dear dad passed away a year ago but up until that point she could still be very cutting about him to our children. I stood by my husband for 35 years and did not speak to her because of her spiteful ways for ten years. We rub along together now, but I will never truly forgive her for the way she has treated my wonderful husband. I think she enjoys people being indebted to her and we have always stood on our own two feet financially and with child care when children were younger. We have never relied on her for anything.

jenpax Wed 15-Jan-20 14:10:40

My parents liked my DH as a person but disapproved of the marriage as I married in my first year of uni! They had hoped I would establish my career first. I did in fact manage to do that despite their fears however DH developed serious health problems early in our marriage and was unable to work so I became the breadwinner so although as modern thinkers they saw nothing wrong with this! They were sad that I didn’t get the support that I might have had if DH had been fit and well.
On her death bed DM did say that she wanted DH to know that they had both liked him and were fond of him; he was very touched by that.

seadragon Wed 15-Jan-20 13:58:22

My dad was disappointed when I finished with my first boyfriend, T - (I was 14; he was 19) - because he was an engineer like him and 'would go far'. Met hubby, E, 3 years and one or two others later and dad said 'If you marry him al you'll ever have his books!'( sounded good to me)......Dad was right on both counts - T became an oil man and a millionaire and E was a librarian. We have taken many boxes of our books with us at great expense whenever we have moved the length and breadth of the UK and still have a huge collection. Fifty two years on I wouldn't swap him for any oilman. Interestingly, both chaps had Orkney roots and T visited DH and me with his wife and child when we moved to Orkney in the early 70's. He introduced us to his aunt and uncle who became amongst our very best friends until they died about 12 years ago. My mum adored DH from day 1...

Rosina Wed 15-Jan-20 13:26:26

My parents liked all my boyfreinds but one - my Father always said he would never make anything of himself; he retired recently, worth a great deal of money, having run a successful business for the last forty years.
They absolutely loved my DH; so much so that I began to wonder what was wrong with him! He got on well with both of them - how much easier life is in that situation.

Doodle Wed 15-Jan-20 13:02:46

My parents liked him from the second they saw him as did all my family aunts uncles etc. Also his mum and dad. We all clicked and my mum and dad used to go on holiday with his mum and dad. He loved them all and was heartbroken when my mum died. They really got on.

Paperbackwriter Wed 15-Jan-20 12:54:20

My mother initially took against as I'd been going out with someone else for a couple of years and she adored him. i'm afraid I kept going with both of them for a couple of months but then opted for the one I married. I was told, after ditching the other one, that I was 'a fool to yourself' but the one I chose and I are still together after nearly 50 years so something went right.
On which, I met up again with the other one briefly about 20 years ago. Realised immediately I'd ditched the right one!