Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Wednesday

(63 Posts)
12Michael Wed 15-Jan-20 06:09:02

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark as usual here in Brackley this morning, but the wind has dropped a little.
Yesterdays day out , I went to the bus stop to early and caught the direct bus to Bicester which had started the previous day as a bus service , I was one of two passengers all the way.
But I did bide my time in Bicester ,and returned the way I have done for the last 3 years ,and seeing people that I have got to know as well made my day .
Mick

Annapops Wed 15-Jan-20 22:50:53

Oldgaijin. Bless you. I don't think I could ever have been so brave as you to face such news like this. Sending so much love and a happy life ahead. Take each day as it comes and enjoy what you can. Brave lady. Xxx

Curlywhirly Wed 15-Jan-20 19:34:18

Oldgaijin - only just got around to read today's thread - what a shock it was to hear your terrible news. I am truly humbled by your strength and bravery. I hope you have lots of support from those people surrounding you; you will certainly get lots of support from the wise and wonderful GN members on this thread. Take care thanks

CaroleAnne Wed 15-Jan-20 19:19:46

I mean Oldhaijin. Sorry for the mistake spelling.

CaroleAnne Wed 15-Jan-20 19:18:16

flowers flowersfor Oldgiigin and for all who are not well.

glammagran Wed 15-Jan-20 17:39:19

oldhaijin I’m truly sorry to read of your latest prognosis. Greatly enjoy reading of the great pleasure you take in your mutt and his mates. Your no-nonsense and can-do approach to life is inspirational. Heartfelt best wishes to you. ?

BladeAnnie Wed 15-Jan-20 17:22:29

Very late in the day and I'm not going to bore anyone as to why but just wanted to send my love to oldgaijin. Keep strong ?

cornergran Wed 15-Jan-20 15:46:19

Bugger indeed oldgaijin. You’re a remarkable woman. Sending love and flowers.

nanaK54 Wed 15-Jan-20 15:44:39

oldgaijin sending kindest thoughts and flowers

Grammaretto Wed 15-Jan-20 14:40:22

Just popping back to send loving thoughts to oldgaijin.
You are so brave and uncomplaining. I admire you.
Brave to ask for the truth. I go to oncology with DH for his treatment. We never ask what the prognosis is. We fear we would be very depressed if we were told what you were told. He's been on treatment for over 2 years, there is no cure but it's "managed" as long as there is life to enjoy and people to meet, he's happy, I am happy, though I feel sorry for myself too.
sending flowers cupcake and wine if you are allowed smile

Sar53 Wed 15-Jan-20 13:01:42

I've only just got round to reading this thread. So sorry to hear your news oldgaijin but as others have said I admire your 'down to earthness' in dealing with the practicalities that need to be tackled.
The sun has just appeared in Essex by the sea after a truly dreadfully wet morning.

dragonfly46 Wed 15-Jan-20 12:45:26

oldgaijin I cannot add anymore to what others have said but please remember we are here for you. flowers

GrannyGravy13 Wed 15-Jan-20 12:41:25

oldhaijin I have just come back to this thread to catch up and see our earlier posts must have crossed.
I am so sorry to hear your news.

conor Wed 15-Jan-20 12:35:11

Too late to say Good morning from a wet Essex but had to add thoughts to Oldgaigin. Everyone on GN is here with you xxxxflowers

ninathenana Wed 15-Jan-20 11:37:49

oldgaijin it's all been said but just wanted to acknowledge your sad post thanks
GN's are here for you.

NfkDumpling Wed 15-Jan-20 11:37:46

Morning All

Even at the top of our ‘hill’ its very still and grey and soggy here in my bit of Norfolk.

After an early hair appointment I’ve just got back from coffee with a neighbour. Strong Hot Lava Java has left me buzzing!

As you said oldgaijin Bugger, bugger, bugger. A bit of a shock to say the least. But also, as Gilly pointed out, terminal just means they can’t do anything. Our old neighbour was told in his 70’s that he had terminal liver cancer, but lived happily many years with it - and died many years later from a heart attack - he’d been told he had a weak heart in his 40’s. (I say happily, but he was a good Scotsman and had to give up his whisky!)

I hope your deleted post said that your tooth/face referral has been speeded up Gilly!

mamaa Wed 15-Jan-20 11:32:31

flowers for oldgaijin

Marydoll Wed 15-Jan-20 11:24:21

I just came back to say, like all the other previous posters, how sad I was to hear your news, oldgaijin.
There are so many kind people on this thread, who will do there best to support you.

Kalu Wed 15-Jan-20 11:09:31

Good morning from a fairly mild Glasgow

oldgaijin. That was not the news I was hoping for you. Bugger! Your can do attitude is inspirational. Probably not very Gnet. But I am sending you a ((hug)) and one for the mutt.

Big cuddles too for your wee GD Marydoll. A cosy day with Granny is needed and hopefully your SiL understands. Poor wee girl. Hope she feels better soon.

DD1 is going along to assist GD2’s class visit to the Science Centre, won’t be home until after 3 so GD1 has asked if I will collect her from school. Will do so with pleasure. ?

Hope those under the weather are improving and strength to those dealing with other, more serious issues.

kittylester Wed 15-Jan-20 11:06:01

oldgaijin, can I add my sadness for you. And my admiration of your attitude.

I'm sure you know that you can talk to us if it helps.

The Suffolk cost is grey today which seems fitting.

harrigran Wed 15-Jan-20 11:01:33

Thought I would return and add my best wishes to oldgaijin and to agree with gillybob that terminal does not mean tomorrow, next month or even next year it means you live with the problem rather than have it eradicated.
Live the best life you can and enjoy what pleases you.
I have two relatives in this position at present and life does go on.

Willynilly Wed 15-Jan-20 10:31:32

Oldgaijin I am so sorry you’ve had such devastating news. Your humour and pragmatism are wonderful traits. May the love of those you know give you comfort and support x

Nanny27 Wed 15-Jan-20 10:18:50

I don't very often come to this one but I happened to pop by and saw your sad post oldgaijin. I couldn't leave without sending my love to you.

Mommawolf Wed 15-Jan-20 09:56:42

Have come back to send OLDGAIJIN my love. This is the worst possible news. I lost a very dear friend last summer to similar circumstances.so many emotions to cope with. My heart goes out to you. You will be on our prayer list. Take care.

gillybob Wed 15-Jan-20 09:46:46

Good morning from the NE coast . What a terrible day it was yesterday. I got completely soaked twice over .

I wrote a very long (and as boring as ever) post but have deleted it after re-Reading Oldgaijins sad post. Just want to say that my mum (having been through the mill for many years) asked her Oncologist a very similar question “I want the truth” which was given (my mum wasn’t a strong person either). Seeing my mum (and my dad and I’s distress) The Marie Curie nurse brought the Oncologist back into the room to explain that “terminal” did not necessarily any time soon. It just meant that there was nothing much more they could do treatment/cure wise. My mum went in to live many more years (13 or 14 I think) having occasional Radiotherapy and bone infusions (can’t remember their proper name) . She had lots of other problems, not least kidney failure which was what she eventually died from not the “terminal C” .

Sorry to spoil this lovely thread (again) but just felt that I needed to reach out to you Oldgaijin . Wishing you all the sunshine in the world .

Thank you for your suggestion Beechnut I will look into that. My son did have a little bit counselling a couple of years ago but it was very expensive and I just couldn’t keep it up. His GP just seems to throw anti-depressants at him.

I hope everyone has the best Wednesday possible .

Love Gillybob xx

GrannySomerset Wed 15-Jan-20 09:43:12

Good morning from a grey North Somerset. As Maw comments, these posting reflect everyday life with a mix of the trivial and the terrifying. Thoughts to Oldgajn especially facing such a major challenge so bravely.

DH to dental hygienist this morning, U3A Latin this afternoon (must buy some really nice biscuits) and PCC meeting this evening. Our much admired rector retired at the end of last summer so we are dealing with a vacancy and the worry that nobody will want a job with 6 parishes, all with Grade 1 listed churches to maintain.