Gransnet forums

Chat

Libraries

(41 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Wed 15-Jan-20 15:19:22

Have you a library near your home and do you use it we have a big library in our town. Really nice staff and lots of things going on each week crafting etc. It’s great for all ages

Doodledog Sat 18-Jan-20 10:07:00

'them as', not 'tremor'!

Doodledog Sat 18-Jan-20 10:06:08

Authors are paid royalties on e-books the same as on paper ones, sodapop. I do understand that some people prefer to hold books, which is fine; but I don't think personal preference is a reason to promote them over carbon-neutral e-books.

I think that library users need to decide what they want from libraries, whether that's more of a community centre, with different groups using tremor a place for people to go when they want peace and quiet, with access to books and computers. If it is the former, then I think we also need to try to find space somewhere for schoolchildren to do homework if their homes are crowded, jobseekers to go to fill in the applications they have to prove that they have done, and somewhere that gives everyone access to computers, now that so much, from paying bills to claiming benefits happens online.

I think it is also important to recognise that if someone is dyslexic or has ADHD, or struggles with reading or concentration for other reasons, then expecting them to do any of this whilst there is noise all around them is unreasonable.

Maggiemaybe Sat 18-Jan-20 09:45:31

I used to use ours all the time till it was closed down. The council was looking at which to close and the fact that the roof needed replacing made it the first casualty. So no option of volunteers taking over, it just shut. I can still walk to the next nearest, and go to the book club there, but there’s a poor choice of books and reservations can take weeks and cost 60p, so it’s easier just to buy from the charity shop across the road.

In my daughter’s village, the library has been handed over to volunteers and is much better for it. It’s so well stocked, as they now take donations of books as well as toys and games for the children’s corner, and there’s so much more going on there.

Greyduster Sat 18-Jan-20 09:19:27

Anyone remember when libraries were all Shhhh!!! And stern looks from the librarian if you made a noise? I was in ours, which is just one big space, yesterday and there was a mother and toddler group in the children’s section, and a very lively book club group in the adult section. You couldn’t hear yourself think, but no-one, including me, seemed to mind. Use it or lose it!

sodapop Sat 18-Jan-20 08:45:48

Sorry Doodledog

sodapop Sat 18-Jan-20 08:44:54

Yes you are right to an extent Doodlebug I suppose I am old fashioned in liking the feel and heft of a book in my hand as opposed to a screen. I'm not sure how authors benefit from e-books either though they must do. Libraries at least loan the books out so the same one is used by several people.

Doodledog Sat 18-Jan-20 08:34:41

I am interested in . . .

Doodledog Sat 18-Jan-20 08:34:10

Why do you think that books should be promoted over e-readers?

I like both - books for things like recipes or poetry that I want to keep, and kindle for novels that I would otherwise read and pass on or have cluttering my bookshelves.

I’m not sure why books should be promoted, as e-readers are so much better for the planet, so I am I in why you think they should.

sodapop Thu 16-Jan-20 08:28:30

I help to run a small voluntary library. Whilst it may not be such a professional operation it is still very much valued by the people using it. I think anything which promotes reading and use of books instead of e-readers must be a good thing and not to be denigrated.

dragonfly46 Thu 16-Jan-20 08:14:45

I never use the library although I believe it is very good. Parking is difficult there and I always seemed to forget to take books back on time. I still have my library card but prefer my kindle.

Oopsminty Thu 16-Jan-20 08:08:29

We had a fabulous library. Built in the 30's. Amazing building.

Sadly, it closed down about 6 years ago

A community 'hub' has set up there but it's not what it was

People just stopped using it

Books are cheap. Kindles.

Technology seems to hold more interest for children than books

I still persist in buying books for my grandchildren and read to them regularly

Pleased to know that my children read to them at bedtime

But life has changed

kittylester Thu 16-Jan-20 08:02:17

Our library has quiet times too and an area dedicated to study.

Our library promotes different genres or authors and we have talks by local authors. We have art exhibitions etc- altogether more lively and friendly.

I see no reason why a collaboration between the local library service and trained and knowledgeable locals is not a brilliant idea. Libraries were started by 'volunteers'.

Hetty58 Thu 16-Jan-20 00:25:28

I don't see volunteering as a long term solution. I have both worked and taught in libraries and I know just how important they are to communities.

I feel that signing petitions and voting to have public services and education properly funded is a better use of my time.

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/dec/15/tories-libraries-social-mobility-conservative

SANDY2020 Wed 15-Jan-20 23:59:33

Modern one here with a cafe next door love it and use it!!

Doodledog Wed 15-Jan-20 21:21:58

We used to have a proper library with a librarian and a few assistants. Now we have a sort of community centre with books.

I feel sorry for anyone who needs to use it as somewhere peaceful to read, research or write, as there is always something going on - knitting group, children listening to stories, people chatting loudly etc. There is no librarian now, so the emphasis is not so much on books - there used to be 'promotions' of different genres, and an occasional book launch or talk from an author (not as often as in the city library, as we are a small town); but none of that happens now. It seems to be more of a social for the volunteers and regulars.

I think it is a shame, as the point of libraries was to allow people without access to quiet space or reference books the opportunity to self-educate, and there isn't much chance of that in my local one. I know that people can google now, instead of using encyclopaedias, but even the computers are surrounded by other people, so someone trying to complete a job application or whatever will struggle to concentrate.

kittylester Wed 15-Jan-20 21:20:38

Ours was also threatened with closure until we took it over- could you do the same?

Hetty58 Wed 15-Jan-20 20:42:07

The local one closed and the nearest one now is threatened with closure. Government cuts to local authorities mean they will never be replaced!

NanaandGrampy Wed 15-Jan-20 20:26:21

We have a tiny village library that is truly the heart of the village. They offer free tea and coffee every day if you want to pop in , there are after school clubs , computer classes, knit and natter. There’s reading for mums and tots and the list goes on and on .

I pop in often, it’s use it or lose it I think .

Tangerine Wed 15-Jan-20 20:01:12

I often borrow books from the library and attend one of their Book Groups.

CanadianGran Wed 15-Jan-20 19:57:51

I've used the library my whole life! I read a bit less than when i was younger, and also borrow audio books from the digital library. So I may not go as often as before, but still at least once a month.

I also love magazines, so will sit and flip through the many publications they have.

travelsafar Wed 15-Jan-20 19:17:38

Yes, we have a beautiful library where i live. Small and old fashioned but well used by the local community. Many events are held here for the children especially in the school holidays. I belong to a monthly group which meets and has a different speaker each time, it becomes like a big coffee morning afterwards. The staff are brilliant and know us all by sight on the other occasions we use the library. I tend to pop in at least once a week for books and magazines. Also they have Borrow Box so you can download stories to listen to. Couldn't be without our little gem!!!!!

grannysyb Wed 15-Jan-20 19:09:37

The borough I live in has 12 libraries, which I use a great deal. The only branch which has closed is the small one I used to work in! However there were two libraries in that particular area and it wasn't well used.

Redrobin51 Wed 15-Jan-20 18:43:25

Fortunately I have one 5 minutes walk away one of the reasons we came to live here. It is only small and as the building is unusually not owned by the council if not used would be vulnerable to closure. I am a "friend" of the library and ee put on coffee mornings etc to raise money to out on free events for children. We hope they might encourage children to pick up a book whilst they are there. I also go to a monthly book club at our main library where or course there is far more choices but isn't so friendly as I don't know the staff. The computers seem to be the most popular part of the libraries.x

Greyduster Wed 15-Jan-20 18:42:29

I use our nearest library, a short bus ride away, regularly. They don’t have new stock all that often, but if I want a particular book they will always try and get it on interlibrary loan for me. When I go into the city centre, I pop into the central library where the choice is far bigger, but that library is now living on borrowed time from what I can gather☹️! It needs a lot of money spending on it.

TerriBull Wed 15-Jan-20 17:44:24

I've recently reacquainted myself with my local library, I remember taking the kids there when they were young for various storytime activities. Because we were alway buying books, I've tended not to use it. Lately I thought it would be nice to start listening to audio books and given they are quite expensive I decided to renew my membership for that purpose. After a while I started to borrow paper books as well then my husband decided to come along too for the same reason. So after quite a long hiatus, it's now a regular part of our week. Ours, as I imagine most are set up these days, has automated return and renew machines, you can renew books on line. Occasionally we go up to the desk to order a book, the staff are super helpful and friendly. Ours is a turn of the century (20th) building, and has a garden at the back, good for perusing newspapers in the summer. I love it.