Gransnet forums

Chat

Libraries

(40 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Wed 15-Jan-20 15:19:22

Have you a library near your home and do you use it we have a big library in our town. Really nice staff and lots of things going on each week crafting etc. It’s great for all ages

tanith Wed 15-Jan-20 15:24:08

I have one 5 mins walk away I get books out now and then. They have a few things going on each week I tried knit and natter but gave up after a few weeks it didn’t seem terribly friendly but it was probably me.

Niobe Wed 15-Jan-20 15:24:28

Our local library is a very busy place with lots going on there. I go to a craft group once a week and another one every fortnight. I also use it to borrow books while I am there!

Ilovecheese Wed 15-Jan-20 15:26:40

Yes, I can walk to our local library and go most weeks. Our city (Manchester) has a good system where I can reserve a book online and then they send me an email to go and collect it. I read the book reviews in the Sunday papers and reserve any new books that look interesting. I am quite often the first person to borrow a book so it is like getting a brand new book.

Gaunt47 Wed 15-Jan-20 15:27:41

Love the library here, but can never linger for very long because it always seems to be full of mums singing "wheels on the bus go round and round" to their toddlers smile

Ilovecheese Wed 15-Jan-20 15:28:42

There is also a Surestart centre in the local library, and evening events and visiting authors.

timetogo2016 Wed 15-Jan-20 15:30:23

Our local library closed Two years ago to the disgust/sadness of the elderly folk in the area.
Council cuts.

welbeck Wed 15-Jan-20 15:30:52

you lot are lucky.
so many libraries have been closed, or handed over to be run by volunteers, much reduced services than before 2010.

LadyGracie Wed 15-Jan-20 15:44:39

We have a great library on 3 floors, it's very well equipped. Lots of computers to use, children's activity area, meeting rooms, even a section where housing queries can be answered and Housing Benefits paid.

M0nica Wed 15-Jan-20 15:51:28

The 'local' library is 5 miles away and we no longer have a travelling library.

rosecarmel Wed 15-Jan-20 15:53:23

In areas where there are library closures are you able to utilize neighboring libraries digital collections? Some digital libraries here don't even require membership cards- All you have to do is provide your mobile number to have access to their e-books and audio books, some even provide access to movies- There are also apps for Overdrive, Libby and Hoopla-

kittylester Wed 15-Jan-20 16:18:09

welbek, I was part of the group that took over our village library which is now entirely volunteer run.

Far from being run with 'far reduced services', we open more than previously and offer the same services as before including on line ordering and renewal, we have a children's group, lots of singing but only one morning per week, free computer help and lessons, we have a knit and natter group, a craft group and the local history group all meeting there. There are monthly talks and, when the library is closed, the space is used by a pilates group, a yoga group and a genealogy session.

Further, our library has an independent book section where donated books are also available for loan.

It is very much part of our lively village and used far more than previously!

Happygirl79 Wed 15-Jan-20 16:22:18

I use my local library.
Its about 2 miles away but worth visiting
Its pretty quiet.
Hopefully we won't lose it
Its a life line
I read 2 or 3 books a week

BlueBelle Wed 15-Jan-20 17:23:30

Our library now has charity status and does a lot of things in the evenings and with children much more varied than books I voluteer once a week to make funds for them

grannypiper Wed 15-Jan-20 17:26:17

I have a well stocked Library in our small local town, i know what time the toddlers group is in so i avoid it like the plague. We have a main Library in the larger town close by, i spend hours every month in there

TerriBull Wed 15-Jan-20 17:44:24

I've recently reacquainted myself with my local library, I remember taking the kids there when they were young for various storytime activities. Because we were alway buying books, I've tended not to use it. Lately I thought it would be nice to start listening to audio books and given they are quite expensive I decided to renew my membership for that purpose. After a while I started to borrow paper books as well then my husband decided to come along too for the same reason. So after quite a long hiatus, it's now a regular part of our week. Ours, as I imagine most are set up these days, has automated return and renew machines, you can renew books on line. Occasionally we go up to the desk to order a book, the staff are super helpful and friendly. Ours is a turn of the century (20th) building, and has a garden at the back, good for perusing newspapers in the summer. I love it.

Greyduster Wed 15-Jan-20 18:42:29

I use our nearest library, a short bus ride away, regularly. They don’t have new stock all that often, but if I want a particular book they will always try and get it on interlibrary loan for me. When I go into the city centre, I pop into the central library where the choice is far bigger, but that library is now living on borrowed time from what I can gather☹️! It needs a lot of money spending on it.

Redrobin51 Wed 15-Jan-20 18:43:25

Fortunately I have one 5 minutes walk away one of the reasons we came to live here. It is only small and as the building is unusually not owned by the council if not used would be vulnerable to closure. I am a "friend" of the library and ee put on coffee mornings etc to raise money to out on free events for children. We hope they might encourage children to pick up a book whilst they are there. I also go to a monthly book club at our main library where or course there is far more choices but isn't so friendly as I don't know the staff. The computers seem to be the most popular part of the libraries.x

grannysyb Wed 15-Jan-20 19:09:37

The borough I live in has 12 libraries, which I use a great deal. The only branch which has closed is the small one I used to work in! However there were two libraries in that particular area and it wasn't well used.

travelsafar Wed 15-Jan-20 19:17:38

Yes, we have a beautiful library where i live. Small and old fashioned but well used by the local community. Many events are held here for the children especially in the school holidays. I belong to a monthly group which meets and has a different speaker each time, it becomes like a big coffee morning afterwards. The staff are brilliant and know us all by sight on the other occasions we use the library. I tend to pop in at least once a week for books and magazines. Also they have Borrow Box so you can download stories to listen to. Couldn't be without our little gem!!!!!

CanadianGran Wed 15-Jan-20 19:57:51

I've used the library my whole life! I read a bit less than when i was younger, and also borrow audio books from the digital library. So I may not go as often as before, but still at least once a month.

I also love magazines, so will sit and flip through the many publications they have.

Tangerine Wed 15-Jan-20 20:01:12

I often borrow books from the library and attend one of their Book Groups.

NanaandGrampy Wed 15-Jan-20 20:26:21

We have a tiny village library that is truly the heart of the village. They offer free tea and coffee every day if you want to pop in , there are after school clubs , computer classes, knit and natter. There’s reading for mums and tots and the list goes on and on .

I pop in often, it’s use it or lose it I think .

Hetty58 Wed 15-Jan-20 20:42:07

The local one closed and the nearest one now is threatened with closure. Government cuts to local authorities mean they will never be replaced!

kittylester Wed 15-Jan-20 21:20:38

Ours was also threatened with closure until we took it over- could you do the same?