Gransnet forums

Chat

Canada welcomes Mr. & Mrs. Nobody

(34 Posts)
GagaJo Thu 16-Jan-20 13:34:52

Following reports that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex might spend considerable amounts of time in Canada in the future, here are some reactions from Canadians:

I don’t mind that they are taking a different approach. But if they are planning on spending a lot of time in Canada I hope they don’t expect Canadian taxpayers to pay for all their security. I hear it’s pretty expensive. Dylan, Canada

Good for them! The tabloid press has finally killed one of the geese that lay golden eggs. Come to Canada where people will give you respectful distance (or ignore you)! Open a wellness retreat in British Columbia-have special sessions for injured soldiers. Maybe Meghan’s mom could lead yoga sessions. We are an easy jumping-off spot for other Commonwealth countries. Once recharged, return to Britain for your duties to support Her Majesty. Christine, 59, civil servant, Toronto

Good for them. Brava to Megan for putting up with the firm for so long and getting Harry to see the light. Eric, 73, Toronto

After what the tabloid press has done to them since the wedding, I am not surprised. And now the same press is howling because their favourite targets refuse to play the game any more. I wish them well. If they want to come back to Canada, they’ll be more than welcome and, by and large, allowed to develop their own lives, raise their kid(s) without too much interference, and no one will give two hoots who is what skin colour. Because, let’s face it, that has a lot to do with what has been going on, doesn’t it. Catherine, Canada

I think it’s great that they are putting their family first and forging a path for themselves. Meghan has been criticized in the most misogynistic, racist and vile way. If they intend to live between Canada and the UK, I don’t like the fact that the Canadian taxpayers have to foot the bill for their security detail. Hopefully, their business/brand is successful enough to fully pay for it. Now that would be truly progressive! Sera, 23, health worker, Toronto

Harry and Meghan have every right to step down and not take a responsible role in royal affairs. If they wish to do this however they should renounce all their royal titles and the privileges that go with them. Perhaps for a quieter life they would be happy to adopt the name Mr and Mrs Nobody. Christopher Morris, Newmarket, Ontario

What is the fuss? Two young people want to have lives of their own, with a modicum of privacy to bring up their child and make their way in the world. They are not the property of the royal family, or of the English people. The British should be embarrassed, ashamed. The British tabloids should be seen as they are; depraved, ignorant grubbers. I hope they come to Canada. They will be welcomed and accepted and allowed to live appropriate lives and be positive contributors. Peter McAuslan, 74, distiller, Sutton, Quebec

Damned if you do, damned if you don’t. There have been so many complaints about how expensive it is to support the royal family, you would think more people would applaud this move. It makes sense to par down the family if not get rid of them completely. Carol, high school teacher, Toronto

I for one, in Vancouver Canada, am overjoyed with Harry and Meghan having the ‘moxy’ to take on the British royal establishment and to take charge refusing to play along with other people’s outdated games. I wholeheartedly welcome them to Canada and wish them every success and happiness as Canada’s most admired and beloved new refugees from life-stifling unpleasantness back home. I sincerely hope this modern and progressive royal couple will be allowed to continue to inspire, as they have been doing. David Jackson, 75, retired teacher, Vancouver

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jan/10/they-can-try-being-mr-and-mrs-nobody-canadian-readers-on-harry-and-meghan

Chewbacca Thu 16-Jan-20 13:58:57

That's interesting Gagaojo. I've had a look at the comments in the Canadian newspaper CBC and there are another 1,239 similar comments but here is a small selection:

James Black
25 minutes ago
If our government pays for their security I will not vote for that government.
If all Canadians held these views and made them clear, this would cease to be an issue.
Trudeau, the privileged child that he was, is probably incapable of understanding why this is causing outrage.

Alain Le Brun
25 minutes ago
Dump the monarchy, Canada. Let Britain maintain their soap opera.

Marty Rumsfield
30 minutes ago
Of course this lot should pay their own bills. The people of Canada are innocents in this Shakespearean tragedy. Just because two people make bad life choices and one of them happened to be born with an HRH before his name, regardless of his father's true identity, is
no reason for Canadian Taxpayers to pay for this series of mistakes!

Phil Jenson
44 minutes ago
I think we should not spend another cent of taxpayer money on these freeloaders. Want to know the real feelings of your taxpayers? Let's have a referendum to decide if we cancel ALL funding for all the royal family from now on. We taxpayers have our own much more important issues, and do not need to waste millions on royals who do next to nothing for us. I am sure the results of the referendum would show you how little us taxpayers want to be on the hook for more spending to pay for these would show you how little us taxpayers want to be on the hook for more spending to pay for these priviledged rich people. They do very little for our country, especially if you consider them in a cost/benefit analysis.

John Smith
1 hour ago
I hope they immigrate under normal channels like everybody else. They are not special.

Michael Flaman
24 minutes ago
Reply to @John Smith: Better that they don't immigrate here at all.

Florence Black
4 minutes ago
People should never be put on a pedestal who have so much money who also want to destroy the hand that fed them and want to protect theirselves while doing it..I feel sorry for Andrews daughter whose father destroyed her wedding and Harry's family who he threw under a bus

Cherrytree59 Thu 16-Jan-20 14:00:37

Just posted this on t'other thread.

I'm sure that the people of Canada may have been happier if they (H&M) had said.....

"We as a family would like to make Canada our home.
We feel it would be a wonderful country to raise our child(ren)".

Instead of....
"We have decided to live in Canada until the US has a new president.
We will then move to LA.

So basically Canada you are just a stop gap.

pinkquartz Thu 16-Jan-20 14:03:42

Canadians are very down to earth they will not want to pay for the spoilt pair.
Also the French Canadians......they don't do Royals....{grin}

Chewbacca Thu 16-Jan-20 14:09:29

Denis Michel
3 hours ago
Thank you Mr. Noakes for bringing clarity to this issue - in my anger and frustration I try to explain the damage, harm, murder, etc. this institution has done but you've done a much better job. Yesterday, Meghen dropped into a Women's Shelter - great press! As absurdity would have it, we celebrate her for attending and not the women who work there, nor the brave women who make it there. That 50 million would be better spent on shelters, wage parity, and absolutely, safe drinking water (with a good 10 million of it on accurate history books for our schools)

Eggleston Bear
1 hour ago
not one Canadian penny should be spent on these gravy trainers.

suziewoozie Thu 16-Jan-20 14:20:20

Fuck fuck fuckity fuck ?????

lucywinter Thu 16-Jan-20 14:24:18

Doesn't look like the papparazi are going to leave them alone in Canada if yesterday's little outings are anything to go by. Same the world over? grin

Namsnanny Thu 16-Jan-20 14:24:30

I get your exasperated susiewoisie but towards what exactly?

lucywinter Thu 16-Jan-20 14:26:33

I'm enjoying the whole sorry saga.

That's really bad isn't it.

suziewoozie Thu 16-Jan-20 14:27:09

The sheer bloody, horrible stupidity of GN at the moment Nam

lucywinter Thu 16-Jan-20 14:27:31

* suziewoozie* could be upset because nobody can spell her name. wink

suziewoozie Thu 16-Jan-20 14:27:33

Yes * lucy* in a word

lucywinter Thu 16-Jan-20 14:27:58

That was a joke SW!

suziewoozie Thu 16-Jan-20 14:29:02

lucy I just can’t understand what’s happened to my SOH atm. ?

Chewbacca Thu 16-Jan-20 14:30:19

You dont have to read it suziewoozie. You can scroll past or hide threads if they annoy you so much. No law says you have to read or join in to any thread, as far as I'm aware.

lucywinter Thu 16-Jan-20 14:30:51

You'll find it again. smile

suziewoozie Thu 16-Jan-20 14:32:59

But the damn threads show up all the time - I want a hide button <wails>

lucywinter Thu 16-Jan-20 14:35:17

I'm sure there is one somewhere. But I can't find it.

suziewoozie Thu 16-Jan-20 14:36:59

I’ve asked on Site Stuff

lucywinter Thu 16-Jan-20 14:38:40

[thumbs up] (on desktop)

pinkquartz Thu 16-Jan-20 14:49:29

suziewoozie

why not admit you are just as nosy as the rest of us? smile

This topic is my healthy alternative to Politics which would probably induce a complete breakdown in me if I didn't stand back atm.

Chewbacca Thu 16-Jan-20 14:51:17

sooziewoozie at the top of a discussion there is a an arrow. Click on that and it will give you options. One of them is " hide discussion".

lucywinter Thu 16-Jan-20 14:51:43

Wonder if they will ever really be "Mr and Mrs Nobody" while they spend six months of every year in Britain? I think those six months will keep them going.

It's all veryo dd.

lucywinter Thu 16-Jan-20 14:52:22

This is much more interesting than any politics. shock

Chewbacca Thu 16-Jan-20 14:53:22

I think that the very last thing they want is to be Mr & Mrs Nobody lucy. They like the cameras and attention too much.