Gransnet forums

Chat

Sales assistants that pounce on you

(64 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Thu 16-Jan-20 17:52:57

One of my big pet hates when I go shopping, Today went into a well known furniture store, I swear hadn’t taken half dozen steps in before being pounced on, can I help you madam, no thanks I said just browsing, within less than a minute another man carrying a clip board Hi can I help you anything in particular you are looking for, now I understand they would like to make a sale, but it’s very off putting when you have already explained you are browsing and don’t need any advise help. So after five mins out I go to one further along the retail outlet which allowed plenty of time before asking the dreaded words , Can I help you, and yes I’m well aware they are being told to do this, I’ve worked in retail myself for 40 years never in a furniture shop though,

ALANaV Fri 17-Jan-20 13:07:36

I was in John Lewis yesterday when a staff member pounced...I told her what I was looking for ….the escalator or lift to women's fashions ….sorry, she said There are only stairs …………...I left …...

bingo12 Fri 17-Jan-20 12:41:00

You can buy everything online these days -even furniture.

GreenGran78 Fri 17-Jan-20 12:21:16

In most Aussie stores you get a smile and a “How are you today?” Then they tell you to ask if you need any help, and leave you alone.
I’ve never heard any customer say more than “Fine, thanks, “ so the staff don’t seem to be bombarded with a list of ailments from anyone. They are always there if you ask for assistance.
I find that many U.K. stores are understaffed, and it’s difficult to get any kind of help, especially as many garments are hung on rails that are too high. Being only 5ft tall I often can’t manage to lift them down, and this can even be a problem in the Petite’ department! It’s so annoying to have to ask other customers to help me, so I usually just leave.

Milly Fri 17-Jan-20 12:13:04

Some years ago - but still old- I thought I would splash out on expensive make up to see if it improved me. I went to the cosmetic counter in Debenhams and the assistant said I should go elsewhere and buy Rimmel !!! You can imagine how that made me feel.

Auntieflo Fri 17-Jan-20 11:59:11

I wish that there had been a few assistants around in Boots, on Tuesday.
There were 4 people queuing to pay, and nobody interested. When one appeared, helping another customer, she said, " you have to go to the front of the store"
Whilst there I saw two members of staff in the pharmacy, one floating! and one at the only till that appeared to be in use.
I did wonder how quickly someone would come, if we had all just walked through the open door?

grandtanteJE65 Fri 17-Jan-20 11:57:28

Well, each to her own. I find it much more infuriating to spend half-an-hour trying unsuccessfully to find an assistant who will help me than having to politely explain that I am only looking.

Gilly1952 Fri 17-Jan-20 11:46:29

I hate it when you enter a pub/restaurant looking to buy a meal and the waiter or waitress doesn’t even give you time to remove your coat and sit down before they pounce and are asking what you’d like to drink!! This happened to my partner and I yesterday - we walked into a local pub, both soaking wet and looking like drowned rats, were shown to a table then immediately asked what we wanted to drink. I’m afraid I was very sharp with the waitress and snapped that it would be nice to be allowed to get my coat off first! My partner said she looked very hurt and we didn’t see her again, so maybe she refused to serve the miserable old woman on Table Five! I don’t care, they need to learn some customer care or at least give you a minute to settle into your seat.

Millie22 Fri 17-Jan-20 11:45:16

I don't go into Lush any more as you are followed around and the smell is overpowering. I was once asked in Next three times if I needed any help. Must have looked like I was going to spend some money or it was just a quiet day. Anyway I didn't spend any money that is.

Jane10 Fri 17-Jan-20 11:44:19

I sometimes think the opposite. Maybe I have a cloak of invisibility. I always seem to have to hunt out someone for help in a shop.

Tigertooth Fri 17-Jan-20 11:38:17

I can’t stand it - I like the GAP attitude - the assistants ask once if you need help and then they just say “anything you need, just ask, I’ll be over there” and they leave you alone - perfect.

Paperbackwriter Fri 17-Jan-20 11:15:23

I've had terrible non-pouncing service in the local VW garage, overlooked as a customer with the salesman addressing only my husband. Husband shrugged the man off and said, you should talk to my wife - she's the one buying a car. I was - but in the end not from there. Sexist attitude cost them a sale.

cleo33 Fri 17-Jan-20 11:04:35

I do not mind being asked if I need help,once only! If I have a bad shopping experience I always ask a member of staff who has either ignored me completely or not interacted at all as they are too busy talking to other staff or harassed me around the store,if I can have their customer service number so I can give feedback on my shop visit.I find their attitude to me changes immediately albeit too late.

notanan2 Fri 17-Jan-20 10:57:59

I worked in retail for a bit, our managers filmed us or listened from near by to make sure we were saying all the script phrases to customers whether they wanted to hear it or not. You could lose your job if you didnt: 3 strikes and out!
Please dont snap at the poor floor staff, they hate doing it as much as you hate being "pounced on"

EllieB52 Fri 17-Jan-20 10:51:30

I got immediate service from one of the techie guys in a John Lewis when I was looking at the Mac computers (for myself). Maybe because my 37 year old son was with me ?!

inishowen Fri 17-Jan-20 10:50:50

Just say you'll come and find them if need any help

J52 Fri 17-Jan-20 10:49:44

I too hate being pounced on. However, while doing my Christmas shopping for perfume in Boots and Debenhams I allowed two assistants to help me. I knew what I wanted, but went along with the ‘talk’ . The result was beautifully gift wrapped presents and several free samples for me.
So not all bad.

Nannyknee Fri 17-Jan-20 10:44:04

My pet hate is as soon as you walk in a shop the assistant says You Alright’. What’s that supposed to mean. My husband usually say no I’m not well today ?

Lizzies Fri 17-Jan-20 10:43:39

I saw somewhere about a store that had different coloured baskets, one to indicate that you would like help and the other that you did not. As usual I cannot remember where I saw it or which store it was!smile

25Avalon Fri 17-Jan-20 10:41:16

I can remember as a child when you didn't dare set foot in a shop unless you were serious about buying something as you were immediately pounced on with no browsing. Woolworths was one of the few places you could go in without fear of this and be able to browse around.
I don't find it too bad today as once you have said "no thanks" they don't stand by your shoulder and intimidate you .

frankie74 Fri 17-Jan-20 10:38:36

I live in France and it's the same here (why not?) The last time it happened I was definitely being shadowed, so I turned round and asked why the assistant was following me, as I could practically hear her breathing. She apologised and went off to pester someone else

pamcuthbert Fri 17-Jan-20 10:37:45

Sarah65 - my daughter works there & hates having to do this! However it’s either that or she will lose her job! Spare a thought for all those workers stuck in this situation. Why not write to Mark Constantine (the owner of Lush) & express your feelings? I think Lush in particular have this wrong & rather than encouraging sales, it discourages! Lush owners take note please.

Parklife1 Fri 17-Jan-20 10:34:30

I agree about the John Lewis technology department and JL in general. I had terrible trouble trying to speak to someone when my Apple Watch failed after less than a year. There was a techie man, but the queue was enormous. It took forever to be served and then it had to be replaced.

There seem to be few staff around in all departments. We wanted advice on a particular pan and no one could advise. We went elsewhere.

I agree that you are pursued in some places though. Lush is one such.

Septimia Thu 16-Jan-20 19:59:33

I had the opposite experience to being pounced on in a moderately (but not hugely) expensive shoe shop.

I arrived and browsed a bit, then looked for help. the manager told me to sit down and someone would be with me shortly. I sat. They served the customers already there, then the ones who came in after me. When the shop was empty, I was still sitting there (and had been for over 30 mins) and all the staff, manager included, were standing at the other end of the shop talking.

I was quite visible, so what did they think I was sitting there for? No-one approached me so I stormed out, using the door which meant I had to pass them. At that point, something was finally said but I made it quite clear that they were far too late!

LullyDully Thu 16-Jan-20 19:50:36

I think you can handle this politely and firmly. What also annoys me is when the assistants ignore me as they did the other day.

NotAGran55 Thu 16-Jan-20 19:49:43

Lush assistants are off the scale . Nothing on earth would get me into one of their shops ever again .
They are so thick skinned and almost impossible to shake off . They drove me mad before Christmas when I was asked specifically to shop there for a gift for a relative .
The irony was I would have probably spent more if they had left me alone - I grabbed one item and left as fast as I could.