Gransnet forums

Chat

Sales assistants that pounce on you

(63 Posts)
CanadianGran Thu 16-Jan-20 19:45:58

I understand that a lot of shops pay commission to their staff, so i generally say 'no thanks, just browsing', but will find the staff member that initially asked me if i need assistance. That way they get the commission.

I find some of our department stores that used to be known for their customer service now have no staff in sight. Disappointing, since I feel that is part of the shopping experience. Otherwise I could just order on-line and not be bothered actually interacting with a person.

Kittye Thu 16-Jan-20 19:24:46

H1954 can’t wait to try that one ?

JenniferEccles Thu 16-Jan-20 19:18:34

I can’t say I’ve noticed it much here but certainly abroad in countries like Turkey.

I’m not talking about street traders but normal shop keepers who stand outside the shop trying to lure people in .

Once inside I am invariably followed around , which of course results in me walking out.

I guess once they find out we are British they think we are rich pickings!

sodapop Thu 16-Jan-20 19:06:56

It's getting the happy medium isn't it. You either can't find an assistant or they pounce on you, both extremes are annoying.

Charleygirl5 Thu 16-Jan-20 18:49:51

One wonders how these folk shop themselves. Do they like shop assistants breathing down their necks?

My favourite is Debenhams- I see young people being pounced upon and offered heaven knows what when walking through the cosmetic area. I think they take one look at me and think there is little point wasting time there so I have an inunterrupted journey through it to other areas.

H1954 Thu 16-Jan-20 18:48:43

I'm a bit mischievous I'm afraid; if the mood takes me I make a comment along the lines of:

Shoe shop assistant........"Can I help you "?
Me.........."yes, I'm looking to buy a loaf of bread"!

They soon bugger off ???

Sara65 Thu 16-Jan-20 18:43:58

The worst shop for this is Lush. They pounce on you before you’re over the threshold, then follow you around with a running commentary on everything you as much as glance at.

My granddaughter and I were really put off the last time we went.

Charleygirl5 Thu 16-Jan-20 18:37:52

Many years ago I ventured into a clothes shop. Nothing was priced so I knew I probably could not afford to buy anything. Two steps inside the door a sales assistant tagged on to me and when I said I did not want/need any help she said she was not allowed to leave me so I walked out.

MissAdventure Thu 16-Jan-20 18:17:05

We have a shop which sells lots of different stuff; like a pound shop but more expensive, although still cheaper than most shops.
As soon as my head even turns towards the shop, the assistant comes out and starts browbeating me, asking me what I'm looking for..

I haven't been in there for ages now, because it's really off putting.

Doodledog Thu 16-Jan-20 18:12:29

I think that a lot of their pay is commission, so every sale counts. Furniture is expensive, so one sale will represent a bigger bonus than in other types of store.

I find it's one extreme or another. Assistants either pounce like you describe, or completely ignore customers.

I was recently in John Lewis carpet department and had a few questions. The assistant was sitting at a table dong paperwork, and looked irritated when I asked him for help (and I had to go and get him, which was annoying).

I also find that John Lewis assistants in the technology department are inclined to ignore me, as they seem think that I am either going to be hard work and not understand the products, or that I won't buy anything. In fact I have always been an early adopter of technology, and have ore disposable income than I did when I was younger.

felice Thu 16-Jan-20 18:11:53

The ones I hate here are The Body Shop and the fancy perfume/cosmetic shops.
In The Body Shop with DD once and a young assistant was shadowing us everywhere. Everytime we looked at something she pounced. Showing us all the different products and watching us very closely. Eventually DD informed here that we were not planning to steal anything and could decide for ourselves.
In the posh place near here I was looking for a particular eyeshadow, could not find it and the hovering non-advertisement for cosmetics pulled out one in the exact opposite colour. DGS said so and followed up with Grandma doesn't want to look like you anyway. Why do you have all that stuff on your face blush. I have never gone back.

Hetty58 Thu 16-Jan-20 17:55:24

I just say 'No' and march off (can't be bothered to thank or explain).

TrendyNannie6 Thu 16-Jan-20 17:52:57

One of my big pet hates when I go shopping, Today went into a well known furniture store, I swear hadn’t taken half dozen steps in before being pounced on, can I help you madam, no thanks I said just browsing, within less than a minute another man carrying a clip board Hi can I help you anything in particular you are looking for, now I understand they would like to make a sale, but it’s very off putting when you have already explained you are browsing and don’t need any advise help. So after five mins out I go to one further along the retail outlet which allowed plenty of time before asking the dreaded words , Can I help you, and yes I’m well aware they are being told to do this, I’ve worked in retail myself for 40 years never in a furniture shop though,