Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Sunday

(58 Posts)
12Michael Sun 19-Jan-20 06:13:42

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark but its cold outside think we may had a minus zero drop last night.
But nice to see the ground frost yesterday, and iced up bus shelter windows.
Yesterdays day out was good , the stall holder I see at the flea market in Buckingham, had promised me she would look for the items I want soon.
An enjoyable and social day on the local bus route into Buckingham ,where I have got to meet passengers over the last 3 years , and enjoy conversation.
Need to get weight down again with diabetes.
Mick

lavenderzen Sun 19-Jan-20 09:03:25

Good morning everyone. The sun is out and the fields are white with frost here in Derbyshire.

Take care everyone, hope the poorly ones and those with worries start to feel better.

Anniebach Sun 19-Jan-20 09:04:26

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

Alygran Sun 19-Jan-20 09:06:12

Good morning from North Yorkshire. It’s clear and sunny today.
Went to watch DGS play football yesterday before coming home from Derbyshire. I haven’t seen his team play for more than 2 years. At 11 they have made fantastic progress. Pleased to say they won.
Still in my dressing gown so won’t make Church this morning. Need a bit of food shopping then may wash the car and do some tidying up in the garden.
Thinking of all on the sick list and with struggles.
Hope everyone has a good day.

Resurgam123 Sun 19-Jan-20 09:08:23

I have a feeling I am about to have a horrible stonking cold coming on.
Tissues will be needed.

harrigran Sun 19-Jan-20 09:10:31

Good morning from a frosty NE.
Don't know whether family are visiting, they are often busy now that GC are older.
Managed a walk yesterday, it was about 6C but with a nithering wind so felt much colder, cheeks were stinging when I returned home.
Best wishes to all the poorly people.

NannyJan53 Sun 19-Jan-20 09:20:12

Good Morning from a very misty Black Country

My partner was going on a cycle ride with his club this morning, but just logged on to find it is cancelled. Probably due to the weather.

No real plans today, I do have some ironing hmm Chicken for dinner, with left over stuffing and pigs in blankets from the freezer.

Sorry your DH is now suffering NanKate seems so many people are at the moment.

Best wishes to all feeling poorly at the moment. Special thoughts to Oldgaijin Marydoll Dragonfly and gilly and her DH

GrannySomerset Sun 19-Jan-20 09:22:19

A white (frosty) world in North Somerset and very cold but beautiful, with pale blue sky and quite strong winter sunlight. Church this morning where I am helping to lead the service which has been designed by members of the choir to look at some familiar hymns and their history.

Otherwise nothing much but I am looking forward to duck breasts for supper which will be perked up with sauce made from the last few plums in the freezer. Hoping all our many sufferers have a better day.

oldgaijin Sun 19-Jan-20 09:25:46

Good morning all from a bright and frosty Aberdeenshire...there is a glorious sunrise too.

I had what could have been a traumatic conversation with daughter in Singapore at 3.00pm this morning,,,she is eight hours ahead and, though a bit upset, came up with one or two practical suggestions re my future living in this house. No, I don't want a weekly cleaning lady as housework is low down on my list of priorities! However, we are going to look for a really nice recliner arm chair in case the day comes when I can't get upstairs. I have a wee cloakroom with loo so all eventualities are covered.

The mutt and I are going to the woodies for a doggy chase...it seems ages since I had a blast of fresh air,

I think the inner plumbing is just about back to what passes as normal, tho' I was strangely upset when I Googled a mixture and it said for the use of terminally ill patients. Up 'til then, I hadn't put myself in that bracket!

Hope you all have as good a day as possible, bugs/lurgy/ and illness permitting.

annsixty Sun 19-Jan-20 09:36:30

Oldgaijin
When on a journey, as we all are, it often takes a long time before we reach the terminus.
We hope and pray this will be the case with you.
Your spirits and your strength in dealing with your situation are uplifting.

Pantglas2 Sun 19-Jan-20 09:41:37

Good morning all from a becoming more sunny by the minute Spain! Good to see you posting oldgaijin and love your positivity x

Not a lot planned but have already got a wash out drying on the terrace and cleaned the almost empty fridge - we’ll be having some strange meals before we leave early Wednesday!

Dreadful to hear that more are catching the lurgy Nankate I’m still hoping to escape it, especially with DH due for hip op soon.

A peaceful Sunday all x

Urmstongran Sun 19-Jan-20 09:59:05

Good morning everyone from Malaga where it’s surprisingly sunny after rain yesterday afternoon but boy is it windy! The palm trees are dancing furiously - your washing will soon dry Pantglas up there!

We might go for a walk after lunch if the wind dies down. Or not. Man. Utd play later and himself will want to watch the match I imagine. I am two thirds through a very enjoyable John Grisham book. I’ve never read any of his novels before. I like court case drama though so I’m whizzing through it!

What a lovely start to a winter Sunday morning Grandmabook! Hope you like your photos- do you use a camera or like me these days (!) just an iPad?

We are meeting friends this evening for a meal.

Hope Sunday is kind to us all whether we have plans or none, especially those on here with worries. x

conor Sun 19-Jan-20 09:59:40

Good morning from yet another sunny crisp day in Essex. I feel Spring is just around the corner. Did get to Southend yesterday and did my 10,000 steps. Maybe offset by a fish and chip lunch sitting outside a cafe(in January!!) And a beautiful sunset on the way home. No real plans today but going to see the film 1917 later which I'm not sure if I will enjoy? Hope everyone has a good day especially those with worries or troubles. Xxxx

EllanVannin Sun 19-Jan-20 10:00:48

Good Morning All x
Foggy/frosty morning with the sun trying its best to make an appearance.
Have slept quite heavily these last few nights though not complaining because I don't have to get up in the night either. It's my body healing after the drawn-out lurgy I had.

Beef's in the oven so there'll be a couple of days meals out of that , all I'll do is par-boil potatoes for roast ones later.
A quiet day,ironing to put away so that's the extent of the chores. Shopping list to make for next week, that's it.

Sending healing wishes to those who are under the weather as well as thoughts to the Gillybobs xx
Careful as you go if you have fog/mist and frosty conditions.

mazgoli Sun 19-Jan-20 10:05:17

Good morning all from Nottinghamshire. The sun is shining and the frost looks beautiful. Going out in a little while to babysit my twin grandsons so hoping it's not slippery underfoot. Best wishes to all who are suffering today, hope that you are soon on the mend.

Mapleleaf Sun 19-Jan-20 10:14:50

Good morning everyone,

It's a beautiful morning - frosty, but with a gorgeous blue sky and bright sunshine. So uplifting!

A fairly lazy day in store today, though I will prepare dinner later (a lamb tagine) and finish the bit of ironing that is left - though there will be more soon as I've a basket full of washing to go in the machine.

Just been perusing the Pilates book I bought to motivate me to try the exercises at home, and it looks quite good and pitched to suit different levels of expertise, which is just as well as I'm a beginner. ?

? oldgaijin. I echo the kind words of annsixty.

I hope today brings peace to us all. Take care.

NanKate Sun 19-Jan-20 10:15:51

Yes Kitty I have seen the Kettlewell Sale, my azure coloured spring jacket was in the sale. I think sometimes I wear too many dark colours so I have decided to brighten myself up for the Spring.

Yes Ginny lurgy is a real word which sums up any illness when you feel bloomin’ miserable.

Mary DH is only just recovering from my ‘window shopping’ event on Saturday. ?

Bellasnana Sun 19-Jan-20 10:16:26

Good morning from Malta where it is cloudy but with a few specks of blue sky peeping through.

We’ve also had some very windy weather here Urmston. It makes for a lot of bad hair days grin

Oldgaijin, it must be hard for your DD being so far away. Can I just say, both my sisters lived for several years with the ‘terminal’ tag hanging over them. They packed an awful lot into those years and I hope you can do the same.

No plans for me today. I’ve brushed the dog, though why he’s shedding so much hair in the cold weather beats me, vacuumed round, put the dishwasher on and a load of laundry. Will do a bit of ironing later and that’s it for today.

Hope all poorly people stay warm and hydrated and will feel better very soon.

Have as good a day as possible everyone.sunshine

GrannyGravy13 Sun 19-Jan-20 10:19:19

Good morning Mick and all x

Blue sky, sunshine and a hard frost in this part of SE Essex.

Roast chicken with all the trimmings for dinner, not sure if we shall be visited/invaded by AC or GC today.

Keep safe folks

gillybob Sun 19-Jan-20 10:30:35

Good morning from the NE coast where we have a cold and frosty start to Sunday .

A much needed visit to B&Q yesterday for a set of kitchen mixer taps . Ours have been dripping for months and on Friday the drop turned into a steady stream . Tried changing the washer/seals a few times over the months But gradually getting worse .

Anyway feeling quite pleased with myself as I did it all on my own . With DH just giving the most minimum instructions . Decided to change the loo seat in the main bathroom while I was on a roll (it’s been waiting to be done for months) . I’m very happy with my work . I won’t be beat!

DH has had another poor night so I’m quite exhausted right now . He is sleeping, Typical.

Love to OldGaijin and Dragonfly and all those feeling poorly or sad .

To those enjoying the sunshine and happy times , long may they continue .

Have a good Sunday everyone .

Love Gillybob xx

Nortsat46 Sun 19-Jan-20 10:46:07

Good morning Mick and the GM team.
Sunny here in east London but thick frost/ice on the car windscreen.
Much improved from my chest infection but arthritis is my knee is awful. Trying to remain cheerful but I have had sooo much bad health in the last 12 months, mostly related to my disability, it’s hard not to feel jaded.

Then I think about what others here are facing and I give myself a ‘talking to’.

Oldgaijin sounds like a very positive conversation with your DD and some practical and useful steps to take.
Good wishes to gilly, dragonfly and all who are facing challenges today.

Let’s hope we all have a good one ...

Scentia Sun 19-Jan-20 11:50:34

Good Morning all, just made the morning!!
I overslept his morning as I was due at DD to look after DGS whilst she went running, just made it to hers in time!

I am still full of cold and looks like I have passed it in to DGS?

No more plans for today now I am back home I am planning on sitting watching TV and nursing my headache and cold.

Hope everyone has a good day, what is left if it!!

Newquay Sun 19-Jan-20 12:31:11

Too late for Good Morning from a foggy Staffs. Didn’t go to
Church as I have a head cold, don’t want to pass it on but will still go to lunch with DH on his return. Trying out a local restaurant/hotel for family meal for our Golden Anniversary coming up.

Megs36 Sun 19-Jan-20 12:47:11

The LURGY, wondering where the word came from? Anyone remember theGoonshow on the radio in the 50s , Harry Seacombe, spike Milligan, Michael Bentine and their friends. I loved it ,so silly and so funny, the lurgy figured fairly high along with the Ying Tong song and lots more. I guess a lot of you are mystified, too young maybe......

Marydoll Sun 19-Jan-20 13:19:47

lurgy
/ˈləːɡi/

noun: lurgy; plural noun: lurgies
an unspecified or indeterminate illness.
"I had caught the dreaded lurgy"
Origin

1950s (originally spelled lurgi ): used in the British radio series The Goon Show and probably invented by its writers, though possibly from an English dialect term.

Urmstongran Sun 19-Jan-20 13:28:40

Glad to hear you’re on the right side of the awful chest infection EllenVannin and hope you enjoy your roast potatoes and beef. A good sign (at last). x