Gransnet forums

Chat

house of lords moving up north?

(49 Posts)
petunia Sun 19-Jan-20 09:39:13

It seems that there are serious moves to move the House of Lords northwards, to Birmingham or York, and that a site in York has already been identified. Discussion around this seems to suggest that such a move might weed out the less committed Lords.

So is this good or bad?

Personally, I would like to see a more slimmed down house of Lords. There are more Lords than there are MP's. I would also like to see more Lords who have specific skills or relevant backgrounds. I suppose, if pushed, I would say abolition of hereditary peers.

Do you think that this potential move might bring on a serious debate about the composition and function of the House of Lords and possibly major reform?

sodapop Sun 19-Jan-20 17:45:19

Not sure why this is being mooted. Why should The North have these people inflicted on them.
I agree reforming the House of Lords is long overdue. The only way to reduce costs if the move is made is to greatly whittle down the numbers. The expenses claims are likely to be extortionate.

maddy47 Sun 19-Jan-20 17:55:55

Hey you lot. Stop saying York is too nice. I live in York - just down the road from the site being mooted for the Lords. And I've just had a loft extension giving 2 extra bedrooms. I'm already thinking of Air B & B for toffs!!! Particularly keen to get Baroness Floella Benjamin to entertain my grandchildren.

Iam64 Sun 19-Jan-20 18:01:58

No, not York. Let's go for somewhere like Leeds, Manchester or Liverpool. Manchester would (of course) be my choice. York is a beautiful, thriving city with a good tourist and university community. Liverpool is a joy. Manchester needs support in becoming the city it used to be and should be. Andy Burnham is doing his best but we need investment. WE also need our public services properly funded. We have tent city and people sleeping in every doorway.

Yes, send the Lords to Manchester.

trisher Sun 19-Jan-20 18:38:11

maddy47 I wouldn't bother they're a bunch of free-loaders who'll expect to pay nowt and get everything.

maddy47 Sun 19-Jan-20 18:45:28

Exactly my feelings Trisher. And although York has been mooted because of its wonderful rail links with London, I suspect most of the Lords will be chauffered up, causing more congestion in York's narrow streets and more pollution.

grumppa Sun 19-Jan-20 18:50:42

Send them to Coventry.

M0nica Sun 19-Jan-20 19:06:58

If you move Parliament north, it is even further from those living in the South west (Cornwall, Devon, Dorset and Somerset.

Cornwall, in particular and Devon are every bit as deprived as Northern England, but never seem to get a thought because the Northeners roar so loud.

My suggestion is move the House of Commons to Penzance and the House of Lords to Newcastle and then watch our emissions rise through the roof with all the people rushing (by air) between the two. This move would also result in Flybe becoming a viable profitable airline again

What not to like?

SueDonim Sun 19-Jan-20 19:10:13

Blackpool is apparently the most deprived area in the UK. Send the Lords there to see how the other half live.

M0nica Sun 19-Jan-20 19:59:47

*SueDonim, Perhaps you should be getting to know something more about the active members of the House of Lords, you would obviously to be surprised by just how many of them have a deep and professional knowledge of poverty in all its forme. That is why a number got sent to the House of Lords in the first place.

Missfoodlove Sun 19-Jan-20 20:00:37

Trishser, I can assure you plenty of people go to Hull and Newcastle.
I live in Hull and have lived in Newcastle.

SirChenjin Sun 19-Jan-20 20:08:46

Cornwall, in particular and Devon are every bit as deprived as Northern England, but never seem to get a thought because the Northeners roar so loud

Presumably because the North isn’t the UK holiday destination of choice for the second home owners.

M0nica Sun 19-Jan-20 20:24:50

trisher, like *SueDonim, you need to learn something about of what you speak, before making sweeping judgements.

Iam64 Sun 19-Jan-20 20:47:22

MOnica, dividing deprived communities by accusing those in the north of making more noise won’t help.

trisher Sun 19-Jan-20 20:58:14

Missfoodlove I know both places well. Hull has more closed down businesses now than I ever remember. Newcastle is surviving on stag dos and students. They both need something.
M0nica I also have a deep and personal knowledge of poverty and know quite a few people who have spent their working life dealing with it but no-one's paying them £300 a day to talk about it.

LullyDully Sun 19-Jan-20 21:16:53

I have always thought that the House of Commons should move further north, maybe the Midlands. There should be space near the NEC with good rail, road and air links.

There was a good opportunity with the refurbishment of the H of C. The new parliament should be organised in a less confrontational layout which may help the aggression we have seen recently.

The old building could easily be used as a museum , a hotel or flats. ( a built in alarm clock too. )

lemongrove Sun 19-Jan-20 22:47:04

Why does anyone think that the HOC or HOL should be moved from London?
The seat of government should be in the capital.....why not?
Why would placing it in a bit of scrubland off the M62 ( say)
Be any kind of improvement to anybody?

Chestnut Sun 19-Jan-20 23:13:18

Exactly what I said in the second post of this thread. It should stay in London and be reformed. Moving it will not have any benefits.

suziewoozie Sun 19-Jan-20 23:14:27

I dunno lemon ask Johnson, it’s his latest dead cat idea to move the H of L to York.

lemongrove Sun 19-Jan-20 23:20:00

Apparently not an idea with any rocket behind it, according to the news just one of many ideas ( which I suspect will be
Rejected).
I was more interested in why posters themselves thought it a good idea ( some do it seems.)

suziewoozie Sun 19-Jan-20 23:26:43

Wow - ideas coming out of No 10 which are totally without merit, foundation or truth? Bloody hell - they’ll be telling us next that they have a plan for BB to bong on the 31st

lemongrove Sun 19-Jan-20 23:45:44

So....suziewoozie pretending for a moment that you have a point of view on relocating the HOL ( instead of just hoping for a spat) ....where would you place them, Rotherham, Leeds,
Wolverhampton York or ?

suziewoozie Sun 19-Jan-20 23:50:37

Instead of looking for a spat yourself lemon ( and you've clearly had enough ?tonight)you could instead notice tbat I posted very early on in this thread that the real issue was composition not location. HTH

lemongrove Mon 20-Jan-20 00:00:07

Not even one glass suzie ( sadly) due to a course of antibiotics. Composition first you say, then location.I say the location shouldn’t change.
moon