Gransnet forums

Chat

The internet really was my friend!

(14 Posts)
grannymy Sun 19-Jan-20 15:20:26

It really was.

A while ago, after putting my car into the garage in another town for repairs, I was going back to collect it and used my bus pass to get the two buses there. I had hardly had my pass for any length of time and it was a real novelty to me. Free travel! I got off the bus and walked towards the garage. All of a sudden I wondered if I had put my bus pass back in my purse as I couldn't remember doing so. I checked purse and pockets and there was no pass there. I could have kicked myself! I knew I'd need to have new photographs taken and it would just be a nuisance to get it renewed. I got home that evening and was sitting, when I received a text. It was a number I did not recognise and it said "hello, are you the person who lost your bus pass?" I was puzzled as I just could not begin to imagine who it was. They then replied "I have it. I found it at the bus stop earlier." I asked if I could pick it up the following morning and they said "Yes, of course, I am in the offices at Unit 1, blah blah blah." I then said that I had to ask them how on earth they knew it was mines, as it has no phone number or address details on it. He said "I put your name into the net and came up with the Ramblers, found your name against a walk and it also had your mobile number, hence why I sent you the text." I couldn't believe it! I went with my partner the next morning to pick it up, with a box of choccies, and met this lovely young guy who found my card. It was so kind of him to try and find me. He saved me such a lot of hassle.

A reason why the internet can be a good thing.

Buffybee Sun 19-Jan-20 15:26:27

Wow! That's amazing the young man found you through the net.
I'm going to put my name into the net now and see if I can find myself. grin

Squiffy Sun 19-Jan-20 15:35:25

That turned out brilliantly for you, but it scare the wits out of me to think how easily one can be traced!

BlueBelle Sun 19-Jan-20 16:23:38

Exactly Squiffy how easy to find anyone that truly is scary

Tangerine Sun 19-Jan-20 16:29:33

Yes, I think the internet is a wonderful thing. Technology makes so many things so much easier. It's marvellous to be able to send photos quickly to friends and relations all over the world.

I do accept that, like many things, the internet is not good in the wrong hands but you could say that about lots of items.

Glad you got your bus pass back.

grannymy Mon 20-Jan-20 13:43:07

Yes I know it might be scary. In different circumstances it might have been. I was just delighted that I was reunited with my bus pass!

ladymuck Mon 20-Jan-20 13:45:52

Something else to worry about....I'm glad I use a nickname whenever possible and I'm not on the voting list.

Bathsheba Mon 20-Jan-20 13:49:08

Squiffy that was my immediate thought too ?

Esspee Mon 20-Jan-20 13:59:11

I put my son’s name into Google and found my name connected to his at his CA address. In addition it had other addresses I was supposed to be associated with in states I had never visited but worst of all there was a link to a site where my c.v. plus my vital statistics? (quite a few years out of date) were open to all. (and I smugly thought that not using social media meant that I was not on the net.)

MiniMoon Mon 20-Jan-20 14:00:47

Do local authorities differ with regard to bus passes?
Where I live, when you renew your bus pass you don't need a new photo taken. It's all on the data base.
I'm pleased that someone went to the trouble to find you though. How kind some people still are.

NannyJan53 Mon 20-Jan-20 14:21:37

Here in the West Midlands, when Mum lost her bus pass,they sent a replacement, complete with the photo as it was on their database, she received it 2 days after making the call.

Last year I walked into town, with my keys in my pocket (house and car keys on same ring). On the way I realised the keys were not in my pocket. I suspect they fell out when I pulled my gloves out in my street. Luckily we had workmen in replacing our kitchen, so I wasn't locked out.

Later that afternoon, I heard the letterbox rattle. There was a little note saying 'Lost keys? and a mobile number to ring. I dashed out side and a woman was putting notes in all the doors along from me. I told her I had lost the keys and how had she known where to direct her enquiries?

My key ring had my library bar code on, she had rung the library. They couldn't divulge my address, but said it was fairly close to where she found the keys. Hence she was going to the trouble of putting a little note in all the houses in my street. She wouldn't accept anything as thanks. I now have my car keys on a separate ring, as if anyone had found them and tried so find which car they opened, they would have had my door key also! I was just so grateful a complete stranger had gone to all that trouble.

It is slightly worrying that someone found your number so easily, but at least it wasn't your address grannymy

endlessstrife Mon 20-Jan-20 16:29:35

I’m glad it turned out well for you, but a little concerned about how easy it was. Not much security there in a world that’s become so conscious of it.

BlueSky Mon 20-Jan-20 16:51:45

Great for you on this instance but it does worry me how easily we can be located on the net when we don't even know we could be on there! hmm

Jane43 Wed 22-Jan-20 16:44:41

It’s nice to know there are people who are prepared to go to so much trouble to return lost items to their owners.