Gransnet forums

Chat

The Oldie

(15 Posts)
Rufus2 Wed 22-Jan-20 12:29:59

Jane10; apropos of recent discussions I received the Feb issue today No.383! shock Unheard of to receive an issue in OZ in the prior month.. At first I thought it was a printing error, but no! Anyway, you might find the piece on Glesca interesting.! grin
OoRoo

MawB Wed 22-Jan-20 12:34:44

I’m surprised you’re surprised Rufus.
Over here it is very common, if not the norm to see the next month of a magazine on bookstalls at least after about the first week of the month.

Marydoll Thu 23-Jan-20 09:06:05

A link to the aricle.

www.theoldie.co.uk/article/beside-the-bonny-clyde

Urmstongran Thu 23-Jan-20 09:10:55

Thanks for the link Marydoll I enjoyed the read. That was very thoughtful of you.
?

Rufus2 Thu 23-Jan-20 10:10:26

!’m surprised you’re surprised Rufus
And I'm surprised that you don't seem to realise that Melbourne is a long way from the UK, about 12,000miles, give or take and therefore it takes a finite time for UK mags to travel, bearing in mind that they are air-freighted in bulk to local distributors who in turn break them down into smaller lots for local postal distribution..
So whilst your local UK newsagents get issues a couple of days after publication we normally have a 3-4 week wait.
Hence my understandable surprise receiving the Feb. issue in Jan. Simple, really! hmm
OoRoo
OoRoo

Rufus2 Thu 23-Jan-20 10:21:24

I enjoyed the read
Urmston; If you have to visit a dentist in Glasgie take it with you and when he asks "Comfy?" don't say "Yes thanks.", you have to tell him where you come from! grin
OoRoo

Rufus2 Fri 24-Jan-20 11:16:33

i’m surprised you’re surprised Rufus
It's not your birthday, is it Maw? Here's another surprise! Checked my Jan. copy to find it arrived on Jan 3. What's going on? Can't wait to see when the March copy arrives, but don't worry, I'll keep you posted! grin
OoRoo

Rufus2 Fri 24-Jan-20 11:59:03

Here's an interesting ref. to an article in the Feb.issue of the"The Oldie" by Charlotte Metcalf, quite a lady!
Relevant to current debate on GN?
Quote;
"Conversation - stoppers."
"Now that I live mainly in London, I'm finding that the robust, stimulating conversation of my imagination is increasingly elusive
It is being murdered by the Blockers- people who are too distracted to listen, too timid to handle the rough and tumble of general conversation, too bigoted to embrace a contrary opinion and too intent on creating an impression to focus on what anyone else says.
Evelyn Waugh described good conversation as a fantasy growing in the telling, apt repartee, argument based on accepted postulates, spontaneous reminiscences and quotation."
She then goes on to describe a few types of Blocker you are wise to avoid:
The Diverter
The Topper
The Wit
The Expert
The Egotist
The Pity-Seeker
The Bad Loser
The Amnesiac

Her supporting arguments are very relevant, but you'll have to splash out a few bob to see them all! grin
IN MY OPINION GN has more than a few!
OoRoo

fatgran57 Fri 24-Jan-20 23:49:22

Rufus2 grin

Evie64 Sat 25-Jan-20 00:34:24

I am, what I hope, is an educated women, but I still can't quite get my head round the fact that here I am in Exeter, Devon, very late on a Friday night/very early on a Saturday, and you lot in Oz are already in tomorrow! No wonder you get the Oldie before us! grin

Jane10 Sat 25-Jan-20 08:45:40

I don't even look at the date in front of the Oldie. I'm just so glad when it arrives. I have to wait till I have a decent length of time to read it as I can't bear to put it down once I've started it!
PS I'm not on commission!

Megs36 Sat 25-Jan-20 10:48:06

Hi Rufus 2. (Is there a Rufus 1?). Do agree about you opinion about Blockers and GN.

Rufus2 Sat 25-Jan-20 12:43:03

(Is there a Rufus 1?)
There was! sad A lovely Border Collie, more intelligent than me, more obedient and much more energetic! He made it to 14 which is 98 (?) in dog years! Came to us when No1 son divorced, sold their house and he had to move into accomm. minus Rufus1. An all too common problem these days, unfortunately. "Jessie" an Aussie kelpie also came along; I suppose "jessie2" could also have been my nickname then I might not have had any attention from the misogynists; but how was I to know!? grin

Rufus2 Sat 25-Jan-20 13:03:57

"Misogynists" ?? Read "Misandrists!!!"
Not sure now whether I'm Arthur or Martha or Rufus2 or Jessie2 confused
OoRoo from us all.

Jane10 Sat 25-Jan-20 13:57:04

Collies are the best. Terrific dogs. So clever too. My sister had one. She lived in town which was a pity. The poor dog spent all his time trying to round up small white dogs! Couldn't take the sheepdog out of her. ?