Gransnet forums

Chat

The practical side of living alone

(105 Posts)
hillwalker70 Thu 23-Jan-20 13:47:53

How do those of you who live alone manage heavy jobs that need doing. I am finding moving even 60 litres of compost/manure or topsoil more difficult now, I used to manage 100 litre bags, I sort of walk them from the car boot to where required but lifting is hard. I can clean downstairs windows but dislike going up a ladder for top windows and gutter clearing. I can manage the bins ok, they go down to the bottom of the lane and saw up small logs and chop kindling but larger logs just finish me off. Turning the mattress is another difficult one. Any tips anyone please. In my seventies and fairly fit but loosing strength.

sodapop Thu 23-Jan-20 19:09:08

I do things in stages now as well Hetty58 I don't fit in several jobs a day and stop from time to time to read a chapter of my book..

There are charities who have volunteers on their books or people who work for a small amounts to help older people and those who are disabled. My ex husband used to do this.

MissAdventure Thu 23-Jan-20 19:14:20

My daughter and me were desperate to find a handyman service around here, and it was very difficult.

We ended up paying the going rate, which was a lot, for what was really quite basic stuff, just too much for us to tackle.

Elegran Thu 23-Jan-20 19:23:02

I have discovered that one of the removals firms locally have a "maintenance" department which does the kind of jobs that a DIY husband would take on. I think that started with them employing someone to fix small scrapes and bits of removal damage and was so popular ir was extended. I don't know what they charge, but I am saving up all the bits and bobs to be done in one visit.

FlexibleFriend Thu 23-Jan-20 19:34:14

Lots of mattresses don't need turning, mine doesn't and weighs a ton it's a vispring.

MissAdventure Thu 23-Jan-20 19:45:24

Even our council doesn't have a handyman service now.
It only had one when I was lithe and sprightly and a liar and didn't need one.

giulia Thu 23-Jan-20 19:58:19

craftyone Apparently, memoryfoam mattresses do not require turning. I once had a student with erious back trouble and he bought one for this reason.

crazyH Thu 23-Jan-20 20:36:01

Finding a nice, cheapish handyman is the answer to a single woman's woes. Forget expensive clothes and shoes. Invest in a good reliable handyman. He will be worth his weight in gold. I was lucky enough to have one for the past 20 years, since my divorce. Unfortunately, he has heart problems now. I wont find anyone to replace him. I shall have to settle for second best .....Spring is nigh........

Barmeyoldbat Thu 23-Jan-20 21:09:25

Our council runs a service called the handyman service for those over I think 65 or maybe its 70. Anyway you get so many hours a year and a chap will come around and do any odd jobs you can't or don't want to do for a small hourly fee. We recently had our dripping kitchen tap, 3 years its been dripping, replaced at a very small cost and even brought a suitable tap with him.

I think the answer is not to be afraid of asking for help if you need it. I often go out on my own cycling and have to put the bike on the bike rack, Mr B will put it on and I can take it off but I can't lift it it back on again. So I just ask any male nearby if the can help and everyone is so kind.

hillwalker70 Thu 23-Jan-20 21:15:32

If I were younger I would think of becoming a handywoman, surely many would prefer that, they might even turn up when they say they will and answer phone calls! I found a local guy to repair gutters, he was efficient and polite so one job out of the way. Still waiting for someone to fix a fence panel. If I can do a job myself I am happy to, keeps me independent which is extremely important to me.

arthursfam Thu 23-Jan-20 21:23:35

Am I the only one on this site that has never turned a mattress ?
I was never told that this is what you do

MissAdventure Thu 23-Jan-20 21:27:54

Well, it's supposed to extend their life, but whether that is still true now, with most using memory foam, I'm guessing?

Mine is memory foam, and it remembers I like to sleep on the very edge of the bed, on the same side, every night.

After a while it was like spending a night climbing a never ending hill.

Elegran Thu 23-Jan-20 21:31:46

I don't turn mine, but that is because it is Dunlopillo and is meant only to be used one way up.

gillybob Thu 23-Jan-20 22:27:12

I don’t live alone but my once very fit DH is very poorly and I am learning how to do things that he would have once done .

These last few months I am now able to get in the loft (I was terrified of the loft ladder suspended over the staircase), lift and move ( in a fashion) a huge plant/tree in a broken pot , fit a set of mixer taps in my kitchen and numerous other things that I would have once relied on my DH to do.

I was a single parent for quite a while when I was younger and I will not be beat .

Callistemon Thu 23-Jan-20 23:46:45

I can get into the attic (just an ordinary ladder) but get so nervous about coming down I daren't go up there any more.

It needs sorting though.

Callistemon Thu 23-Jan-20 23:48:41

I say attic, you say loft!

Is there a difference?
What do others call it?

Callistemon Thu 23-Jan-20 23:49:25

But I say loft ladder
So you must be right, gillybob

crazyH Thu 23-Jan-20 23:50:07

I'm with you arthursfam....I haven't turned my mattress, since I bought it 10 years ago.

MissAdventure Thu 23-Jan-20 23:50:38

Loft.
That sounds like an apartment now, and by apartment, of course I mean 'flat'.

Callistemon Thu 23-Jan-20 23:53:19

I climb up the loft ladder into the attic.
Confused?
Well, not if I can help it because it's just a ladder, not a proper loft ladder.

Callistemon Thu 23-Jan-20 23:53:52

My unturned mattress is calling me
moon

Hetty58 Fri 24-Jan-20 00:06:54

My local council has a handyman service - but I won't get help until I really can't do things. (I'm just not ready to be old and doddery yet.) They will change light bulbs and locks but I can do those things myself. Digging over the garden is probably beyond their remit.

Coolgran65 Fri 24-Jan-20 03:05:17

I remember once in my younger days needing to get into the loft. There was no fitted ladder as we'd just moved in.
I carried the coffee table up into the landing.put a dining chair in it. Then out a stool into the dining chair.
I used the ranch fencing on the landing to help me climb up into the top. This let me get into the loft.
Mind you....it was much harder getting down out of the loft as I was in the house on my own and no one to hold it steady. I was afraid of kicking the top stool to the floor as I lowered myself into it.

How foolish was i ??

Newquay Fri 24-Jan-20 08:35:42

We don’t allow either of us to do anything like going into loft unless someone else is in the house and-if course!-we have mobile on our person all the time, switched on, charged up and not on mute!
We had a drive to clear loft (not attic!) last year so now only has mostly Christmas decs (and local DD’s too) and luggage (and DD’s too).
One less job for DDs when we go!

gillybob Fri 24-Jan-20 08:42:43

“Attic” sounds a little to nice to describe the space in my roof “Callistemon” as in “A cosy attic bedroom” Mine is most definitely a loft. Full of junk, old toys, cushions, Christmas decorations etc. grin

The loft hatch is directly over the top of the stairs and it terrifies me. The loft ladder is one of those things in 3 parts that you have to yank down with a pole and shove back up again which is usually when I realise I forgot to pull the sting suspended on a beam, to switch the light off . Grrrrrr

Elegran Fri 24-Jan-20 08:55:01

Sounds like mine, Gilly Plus it is very heavy, and the three bits slide down over each other like a guillotine when you undo the hook that holds them together. I have to stand right under it on a chair to reach the hook.

I've not been up there for years. It could be full of squatters for all I know.