Gransnet forums

Chat

The practical side of living alone

(105 Posts)
hillwalker70 Thu 23-Jan-20 13:47:53

How do those of you who live alone manage heavy jobs that need doing. I am finding moving even 60 litres of compost/manure or topsoil more difficult now, I used to manage 100 litre bags, I sort of walk them from the car boot to where required but lifting is hard. I can clean downstairs windows but dislike going up a ladder for top windows and gutter clearing. I can manage the bins ok, they go down to the bottom of the lane and saw up small logs and chop kindling but larger logs just finish me off. Turning the mattress is another difficult one. Any tips anyone please. In my seventies and fairly fit but loosing strength.

Sara65 Sat 25-Jan-20 08:50:39

I have never been in the loft/attic of any house we’ve ever lived in, it’s not so much the ladder as what may be lurking up there! my husband’s not so keen these days, he’s always hankered after a house with a cellar, with good solid stairs.

Regarding a handyman, I’ve always said that if you became an odd job person, you’d never be out of work, I tend to save up a few jobs for my builder, and even invent a couple to make it worth his while!

Scentia Sat 25-Jan-20 09:10:48

I feel weak and old now and I am only 52, my arthritis seems to get worse every winter. I only realised this when my DD and I moved her house alone with a van, I learned that day that I can no longer lift a washing machine out of a van on my own?. I had to ask for a strong man to help me from across the road!! It comes to us all, some sooner than others!!!

Jillybird Sun 26-Jan-20 01:21:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

craftyone Sun 26-Jan-20 08:04:52

generally, people are so helpful. Delivery men will always put heavy items were I want them. Wickes last week, they called a man to load my boot. My single male neighbour (lady friend local) is an excellent good diy-er my other single male neighbour is younger and stronger (also lady friend) and both are utterly helpful. I have to say that I have not used them for anything yet as I am competent still. An assortment of aluminium step ladders help as I will go no higher than 2nd step from the top, so I have the safety bar around me

It is losing strength that is the real worry and I still haven`t brought my hand weights out. My rubber bands deteriorated, need to replace them as they are good for arms and legs. I also have squuzy balls for my hands. I have a small neat trolley next to my chair, need to keep these small essentials handy, or I forget to use them

Oh yes and I need to lose weight, 2 stone and I could not physically carry that weight. I keep thinking that going up and down stairs carrying that 2 stone on my body will strengthen my leg muscles. It must do