Gransnet forums

Chat

The practical side of living alone

(105 Posts)
hillwalker70 Thu 23-Jan-20 13:47:53

How do those of you who live alone manage heavy jobs that need doing. I am finding moving even 60 litres of compost/manure or topsoil more difficult now, I used to manage 100 litre bags, I sort of walk them from the car boot to where required but lifting is hard. I can clean downstairs windows but dislike going up a ladder for top windows and gutter clearing. I can manage the bins ok, they go down to the bottom of the lane and saw up small logs and chop kindling but larger logs just finish me off. Turning the mattress is another difficult one. Any tips anyone please. In my seventies and fairly fit but loosing strength.

Diggingdoris Fri 24-Jan-20 12:40:59

I use an old shopping trolley for moving compost bags. I ask a shop assistant to put them in the boot, but once home I flatten the bag on the trolley and use it like a sack barrow. It means sliding the compost over edge of boot until it falls, but the trolley works a treat. I also use the trolley for moving heavy pots in the garden.

Hm999 Fri 24-Jan-20 12:38:30

Most as they plan for retirement move into somewhere smaller - singletons even more so. I gave up my garden a long time ago, because I knew I'd never manage when I was older

Phloembundle Fri 24-Jan-20 12:23:27

There are mattresses that just need top to toing instead of turning over. Mine is a Myers.

craftyone Fri 24-Jan-20 12:21:38

I had a television aerial put into the loft in my new build and only then knew I had a loft hatch with a built in ladder but will never use it. There is always the what if, if I cannot get the ladder up, if I slip down and anyway I don`t want to accumulate more stuff

I bought one of these for moving the re-cycling bins. It is stupendously good and very solid. Cost a total of £59.75 and makes my garage neater
madewithmetal.co.uk/product/standard-recycling-trolley/

So now I am thinking of a cycle rack on the back of my car, must start to use weights to increase my upper body strength

Binkiebonk Fri 24-Jan-20 12:18:43

I have a trolley for moving heavy items in the garden. It's a folding thing, like a small sack trolley. Works a treat and cost about £20 from Argos. I get people in to do anything which involves climbing more than about four feet on a ladder. I do my own internal decorating and DIY but pay someone to paint the hall, stairs and landing. I am shameless about asking for help moving heavy items - I either pop and ask a younger neighbour or a friend's younger husband.
I have lived alone most of my adult life and have always had to ask for help from others. I find they never mind and are more than willing.

Heket Fri 24-Jan-20 12:10:02

Helpfulpeeps.com is along the same lines as Nextdoor.com - I’m a member of both and they’re brilliant.

Wilma65 Fri 24-Jan-20 11:59:38

Get a trolley. We have one and drop the bags of compost from the boot of the car into the trolley and wheel it in to where we store it. Also get a window cleaner. I don’t turn our mattress. It’s too heavy to move

lizzypopbottle Fri 24-Jan-20 11:41:30

Get a boot liner for the car. Garden centres have strong lads and lasses to carry heavy bags of compost to your car. Bigger bags are cheaper. Slit the bag and carry buckets full to where you want it. The boot liner will catch any spills. Our local authority offers a handy man service for older residents. Maybe yours does too. They are vetted so you can trust them to do the work and not to fleece you.

MRGUDER Fri 24-Jan-20 11:41:12

You could try your local AGEUK as they sometimes have a list of people who are willing to do little jobs in return for a cuppa and a biscuit.
Also are there any colleges nearby who have volunteers that can help? I used to read to a blind person so she could pass her OU degree - many moons ago.
Most people do not like to ask but you'd be surprised how many people are willing and able to help.

Beanie654321 Fri 24-Jan-20 11:39:18

I use wheelbarrow for outside and a luggage carrier for inside. I employ a window cleaner for outside. I have white goods on wheeled trays so can move around with ease. Jobs I cant do I ask for help. Xx

Craftycat Fri 24-Jan-20 11:37:36

It's not just those living alone- my DH who is 13 years younger than I am is never around when needed or 'I'll just finish this & I'll be with you'- never happens!!
I am very good at moving heavy things now & bags of compost are a doddle. The staff at local garden centre always offer to help but I have usually got it all in the trolley before they get to me. After all I have to
move it down the drive & into back garden when I am home so might as well start the job as well as finish it.
Not actually sure DH KNOWS we HAVE a garden out the backdoor apart from when he does his annual BarBQ.

Esmerelda Fri 24-Jan-20 11:28:27

I joined the "Nextdoor" group in my area and, although I don't need help myself yet, I notice people asking for help with various things and it seems a helpful neighbour always steps in to assist or someone suggests a reliable and reasonably priced handyman. Worth looking into?

Theoddbird Fri 24-Jan-20 11:27:47

I am nearly 69. I live on a narrow boat. Lot of heavy stuff to lift. I have to lift a 13kg gas tank from jetty into bow gas locker, 25kg bags of coal etc. So...how do I manage? I started lifting weights every other day. I have built my upper body strength up. Two years ago I could not lift the gas tank and coal etc. Now no problem. I would tell any older person to buy small weights to help build up muscle.

Bijou Fri 24-Jan-20 11:23:25

I have lived alone for twenty eight years and until I was 82 managed to do all my decorating and do it yourself jobs myself. After an operation had to employ a home help and over the years she has done a lot more for me. Her husband has done any heavy work she cannot manage and I have been very lucky to say that I have become part of her family.
I agree with the poster who said carry your phone with you at all times just in case you should have a fall or emergency.

Alexa Fri 24-Jan-20 11:10:55

I had to move heavy sacks of compost from the boot when car can't access the back garden.

I placed tarpaulin on the drive close the boot and split open the sack on top of the tarpaulin then transferred the compost as much as I could manage to a plastic tub which I dragged to where I needed the compost.

I never turn my mattress . I have a slatted bed.

HannahLoisLuke Fri 24-Jan-20 11:06:32

I've just done the bedlinen change and turned the mattress topper but as I have polymyalgia as well as being 76 it's taken me an hour. Couldn't even think about turning the mattress as well, the topper is heavy enough as its memory foam and tucking the sheet under the mattress plus topper is a nightmare with my painful wrists. I know my daughter would help but she works shifts and to be honest, pride won't let me ask, yet.
I am forbidden from going up into the loft so getting the Christmas decorations out and putting away has to wait until she's available.
I still do the garden at an increasingly slow pace.
Have a window cleaner but it's one of those purified water systems on a long handle so he doesn't do gutters.
I don't often buy compost as I make my own.
I did have to ask the postman to unscrew the lid on a new bottle of bleach the other day, I just couldn't do the squeeze and screw action.
I try to keep fit on a treadmill and with some small weights but oh I do miss the strength and vigour of my youth.
I'm now going to see if there's one if those helpful gyms around here before my hedge needs cutting.

sarahellenwhitney Fri 24-Jan-20 11:03:08

For jobs you can't manage yourself look in your local paper even church magazine where you will find adverts ie window cleaner/ handy man. As for your inside jobs the same applies.There are people who don't want or can't take on full time work but happy to take on smaller jobs.

Joelsnan Fri 24-Jan-20 10:53:26

For compost and other heavy items needed transporting from car to house/garden, I bought a little sack type trolley from Ikea which is great. I have even used it to move my freezer and washer when decorating. It folds down really flat and I keep it in the boot of my car.

I agree mattress turning is a bit of an issue, I could downsize, but love the roominess of my kingsize bed so continue the mattress fight with a few more expletives.

Step ladders aren't as easy as they used to be. I still use the when needed, but am more cautious and try to ensure they are stable and near something I can hold on to.

When on your own you have to try to find workarounds or just don't do it.

joesdadnick Fri 24-Jan-20 10:47:18

Ok so address each problem one by one, Windows , use rain x , ok so you will have to give the windows a really good clean before applying, but then afterwards just a hose down should clean off any residue dirt without having to resort to ladders. Second , as to compost bags, consider having them delivered , most delivery drivers are very accommodating and will place the bags where you want them, alternatively , sack barrow with bucket attached and split the bag and transfer bit by bit, might take longer, but saves your back/knees/shoulders. Gutters should have some arched mesh over them, stops clogging up with leaves. For logs buy a log splitter, you can get manual ones or powered ones, try Machine Mart/amazon compare prices

grandtanteJE65 Fri 24-Jan-20 10:39:53

You don't have to be on your own to find these things difficult.
Neither DH nor I can lift heavy things anymore.

We have the kind of windows that swivel round so the outside can be cleaned from inside, which suits me fine, as the window cleaner refuses to clean the inside panes and doesn't do a good job of the outsides, so he isn't worth paying for.

If you can get the sacks of compost upright in the boot, why don't you open them and take out half the compost?

I can no longer dig the garden for more than ten minutes at a time, but can't afford help, so just have to leave what I cannot handle.

JenniferEccles Fri 24-Jan-20 10:38:06

You are certainly doing the right thing by keeping yourself fit by doing a lot of jobs yourself, but there is no shame in asking for help in those times when it really is a two man/person job .

My husband is fit and active and does lots of jobs around the house and garden, but there are times when something is impossible for him to do alone so he asks our neighbour to help with the lifting.

It works well as the neighbour also calls on my husband at times.

I liked the suggestions about the council or charities possibly being able to recommend a handyman who would be inexpensive.

Witzend Fri 24-Jan-20 10:35:15

Would it be possible to save up a few jobs and then get one of those handyman/handy-person - ‘No job too small!’ people round?

henetha Fri 24-Jan-20 10:24:23

I'm terrified of ladders now after a couple of mishaps. Bags of compost are very difficult, I usually heave them out of the car boot and drag them along the drive. I still put the bins out every week but it's getting more difficult, and if my back is bad I simply don't bother. Sometimes I wait for one of my sons to visit before I try to fix something.
I can still turn the mattress on my single bed, but the double bed in the guest room is impossible so I never turn it.
At present I am waiting for someone to visit to help me open a tin of corned beef... yes, I know that sounds pathetic but I simply can't do it. The little metal tag and the key always get twisted or broken and I end up cutting myself.
And my electric tin opener won't do square tins, for some reason.
So I know how you feel, hillwalker70. It's all a bit of a challenge isn't it.

Callistemon Fri 24-Jan-20 10:23:06

Coolgran I am gasping at your post!!

By your definition mine is most definitely a loft then gillybob - full of junk!
Apparently we can't have a fixed loft ladder because the beams go the wrong way (stupid builders?).
We do have a light switch on the wall in the hallway thank goodness.

Chestnut Fri 24-Jan-20 10:14:30

I would say the most dangerous things are ladders which I think are for young people only!
Step ladders - I have balance problems but do have one with very deep steps and a big handlebar over the top. So I can still hang curtains and change a light bulb or smoke alarm batteries. They are under £50 on Amazon and much better than normal stepladders.
I am in a flat now and have the use of a garden but don't have to worry about gardening or window cleaning. Mind you, I suppose it keeps you fit.