Gransnet forums

Chat

The practical side of living alone

(104 Posts)
MerylStreep Thu 23-Jan-20 14:02:42

For a start I'd buy smaller bags of compost.
Do you have a window cleaner? ask him to do the gutters.
I would buy logs cut to size.

Newquay Thu 23-Jan-20 14:02:12

Well, for a start, stop going up ladders! Lol! Keep your mobile on your person, switched on, not on mute and charged up in case you need help. I’m going to invest in a “buddi “ worn like a watch which sets off alerts if you have a fall.
Friends on their own I know, keep a running list of jobs that need help so when friends come they can help.
An lady I knew was told to leave heavy bags in garden but, oh no, had to do it. She tore a muscle in her shoulder and, even after surgery, was never free of pain.
Don’t take any risks and ask for help would be my advice

tanith Thu 23-Jan-20 13:59:46

I had trouble lifting 20 litre bags of topsoil and my mattress luckily just needs swivelling round which I can manage, i do have a window cleaner and am lucky that have big strong Grandsons who would willingly help but I try not to ask them. Do you have a neighbour or friend you could ask? Usually people are willing to help as long as it’s just occasionally.

hillwalker70 Thu 23-Jan-20 13:47:53

How do those of you who live alone manage heavy jobs that need doing. I am finding moving even 60 litres of compost/manure or topsoil more difficult now, I used to manage 100 litre bags, I sort of walk them from the car boot to where required but lifting is hard. I can clean downstairs windows but dislike going up a ladder for top windows and gutter clearing. I can manage the bins ok, they go down to the bottom of the lane and saw up small logs and chop kindling but larger logs just finish me off. Turning the mattress is another difficult one. Any tips anyone please. In my seventies and fairly fit but loosing strength.