Gransnet forums

Chat

Have you ever had a day .......

(87 Posts)
travelsafar Sun 26-Jan-20 21:02:08

Ever had a day where you have not done much, eaten all the wrong things and generally felt disconbobulated!!!!! I feel like i have wasted the whole day today and feel really guilty about it hmm

annep1 Tue 28-Jan-20 08:19:43

As long as its not too often better to give in and enjoy it!

Sara65 Tue 28-Jan-20 07:47:39

BBevan

There are so many things we have to do, however much we would rather not, so if you don’t have to do it, and don’t want to do it, don’t do it!

BBbevan Tue 28-Jan-20 07:42:39

Well done Jane10 I remember that sinking feeling well. You did a brave thing. I feel a little like that about the place where I volunteer. I have never felt included. I only go back each week as the woman I work with directly is lovely. I will have to think about this .

Sparkling Tue 28-Jan-20 07:04:12

Like to keep busy, but frequently do eat or or do wrong things.

Sara65 Tue 28-Jan-20 06:51:20

I do feel guilty because I’m constantly saying I haven’t got time to do anything, then on Sunday, arrangements cancelled, husband out for a big chunk of the day, think of what I could have achieved.

But oh no, light the fire, snuggle up on the sofa, and hardy move all day !

GreenGran78 Tue 28-Jan-20 02:55:56

We have been programmed to feel guilty if we don’t do the ‘right thing’ as mums and wives. As an 80 year old widow I have reached the stage where I can think, “Sod the right thing” and please myself. Fight the guilt, ladies!

crazyH Tue 28-Jan-20 01:22:51

I'm having one of those days today. Sat or lay around doing nothing. Had a nasty reaction to some Pate - Claritin sorted that. Catnapped a bit and now can't sleep, hence this post .....

2mason16 Tue 28-Jan-20 01:16:21

Today is that kind of day for me! Been in Oz for the last few weeks with DD and 3 lively GC's. Youngest a childminder today so it's really quiet - the others go back to school after six wk hol in a few days. So snoozing and taking it easy for a change!

Daisyboots Mon 27-Jan-20 22:51:27

Ouch!! Poor you Saggi I do hope you heal quickly and feel much better soon.

Most of my days are like OP's these days. Made worse by the remembrance of our horrible junior school teacher who said when we were 11 and dawdling back to school after our swimming lesson at the local swimming baths. " just remember every minute you waste you will not get back in your lifetime. It has gone forever". I have never been able to truly relax and do nothing without remembering that. But I feel I have done well if I am downstairs before 1pm now and today I have put a wash load in the machine and hung it up. Then baked a cake and have managed 2650 steps. Okay I didnt get round to checking what I wanted to save off my old desk top computer or get the box of knitting yarn out to start knitting for my two great granddaughters due in the next couple of months. But I am still alive and did something so that is all that matters.

I am sure most of us have worked very hard throughout our lives so deserve some down time in retirement.

Daffydilly Mon 27-Jan-20 21:22:03

I've had a day off work today. Totally legit. Husband at work, so house to myself. I've Marie Kondoed (sp?) my knickers, changed the bed and put a few loads of washing through.

Boring stuff done, I've nearly finished my book.

Also eaten 3 slices of toast with blackcurrant jam, a duo lion bar, most of a Cadbury Caramel, lasagne, chips, garlic bread and consumed far too much coffee.

Back to normal tomorrow.

Just a thought. Is it stockholm syndrome if I actually like my job?

Sara65 Mon 27-Jan-20 21:04:52

Endlessstrife

Haha! I think she loved it.

DerDer Mon 27-Jan-20 19:57:20

How absolutely delicious! It's another day tomorrow.....

Jimjam1 Mon 27-Jan-20 19:55:37

Thank you Phloembundle for your comment. I was reading through other comments and thought I must be the only one feeling a bit jaded in the morning after a bottle of wine. Feel a lot better now. Cheers ?????

BBbevan Mon 27-Jan-20 19:41:06

Coolgran back on the straight and narrow today. No breakfast ( 16:8 ) veg curry for lunch and cheese soufflé and salad for dinner. Lots of dusting and hoovering. We were going for a walk this afternoon but it rained heavily. Never mind another day .

mumofmadboys Mon 27-Jan-20 19:18:19

Hope you recover soon Saggi.

grannypiper Mon 27-Jan-20 19:04:28

What a fantastic day OP

Coolgran65 Mon 27-Jan-20 18:06:55

BBbevan you made me laugh out loud. I love your low carb .....

Sometimes I think I have too many of these days and feel I should be doing more.... But I enjoy them.
I don't sleep well and often the mornin g is mostly gone. Then it gets dark early.

Today I ironed and managed for a half hour to clear/dead head the garden of some Japanese Anemone that should have been done weeks ago as the hostas are trying to keep through. Is that enough?

making an easy dinner with M & S fish and chips and settle down to crossword, sudoko, knitting and Silent Witness and Cold Feet.

Dh will likely produce a bar of chocolate later. Won't be my idea so the calories won't count smile

Marmight Mon 27-Jan-20 18:01:50

I think we all need days like this and not feel guilty. Some days I eat complete c**p and appear to have no control of what goes into my mouth. I slob in front of afternoon tv stuffing until I feel ?. M&S custard slices are fav at the moment ?

Nanny41 Mon 27-Jan-20 17:54:48

So lovely to hear about others days, I love days like this, not having to do anything but just doing what I want to do, not need to do
I live in a cold dark country, well at this time of the year it is so, and people here are SO energetic they never seem to have days as have been mentioned here, if they did they would feel so guilty,I am not one of them, I enjoy my days off.
Please enjoy your day without feeling guilty travelsafar.

Saggi Mon 27-Jan-20 17:47:23

I have had couple of weeks of those days as I’m suffering two broken bones and a displaced shoulder!!! After being knocked of my bike . Dint feel guilty at all....wish I could eat though !! I e is a broken jaw!

Alishka Mon 27-Jan-20 17:40:08

Well done Jane10 That's not a 'terrible thing', that's taking control of your lifesmile

Irishlady Mon 27-Jan-20 17:39:57

Thank goodness I've read this post. I was begining to think I was the only one who had days like this. I love them in the winter, cosy pyjamas, warm fire, settee,soft blanket and a good book or boxset to watch. I had a day like that yesterday.

Kim19 Mon 27-Jan-20 17:33:17

Sit down (again?!). Have a glass of wine and toast yourself. Well done.

Grandson2008 Mon 27-Jan-20 16:22:14

I have those days now and again my recharge your batteries day usually when my hubby is out for the day walking I watch loads of tv read eat all the wrong stuff dont get dressed then following day feel good eager to get going well I've done all the school runs gone to work in dreadful weather retirement bliss so ladies enjoy your days xxx

Jane10 Mon 27-Jan-20 16:14:59

I did a terrible thing today. I've been going to a bridge club for lessons. I hate it. It's deadly serious. All the way there I was feeling terrible inside. The class started and I tried to work out what the feeling was. Then I remembered - it was the dread that I felt at the prospect of and in a double maths class! After half an hour I plucked up courage and walked out! I justify it to myself that I don't actually have to do it. I've done and do lots of other things, I was taking control.
Then I drove home and watched Vera on catch up and ate 3 chocolate mini rolls ♠️♥️♦️♣️? to ?!!