Gransnet forums

Chat

i wish i'd had deportment lessons

(84 Posts)
petunia Wed 29-Jan-20 09:52:14

There's a picture of the Duchess of Cambridge on a royal visit in the papers today. Slender and composed as usual She is looking elegant in a smart suit, crouching down to be on the same level as a small child she is talking too.

There was a time when I too could crouch down and then stand up straight without recourse to an ungainly bum in the air, legs splayed, grasping at nearby furniture to push myself back upright and a cry of uugghhhhaaaa as I struggle to my feet. And, Kate does it in high heels

Sigh, how things change when you get old. Or maybe its just me?

lemongrove Thu 30-Jan-20 13:05:06

Struggling to stand after crouching down is pretty much the norm for older people I should think.?
We’re still here...that’s the main thing.

lucywinter Thu 30-Jan-20 13:09:05

I don't do water! Well, unless it's safely in the bath and nice and hot.

lucywinter Thu 30-Jan-20 13:09:54

True lemongrove. (I would do a thumbs up but I'm on desktop)

Emelle Thu 30-Jan-20 13:12:35

sandelf - My boots are Merrell and walking trainers are Salomon. It may seem a little extravagant to have two good pairs but we have two dogs and we do a lot of walking.

Jane10 Thu 30-Jan-20 13:13:42

I don't think money is wasted on good footwear. It can make all the difference.

Saggi Thu 30-Jan-20 13:20:20

I. Always think about posture..... I can hear my 5 foot mum saying” get your head up and look the world in the eye” . She was still as straight as a pole at the age of 92. I follow her example. It worked for her.

Phloembundle Thu 30-Jan-20 13:25:30

Like Jackieb, I was told I was too tall. Thereafter I stooped, and my posture remains poor. I have neck problems which give me an almost permanent headache in winter. I always envied the girls in my school who sported deportment badges, but I never gained enough points to get one.

jennyvg Thu 30-Jan-20 13:51:20

I no longer crouch down in public since the time I crouched in Boots to look at lipstick on the low shelf and fell flat on my back making a sort of loud squawk noise as I landed, there were two assistants at the beauty counter who just ignored me as I scrambled to my feet and scuttled out of the store as fast as I could

annodomini Thu 30-Jan-20 13:56:34

How can I walk with my head held high when my sons instructed me to 'watch where I put my feet' after I had several falls last year? I must look a bit sad!

Callistemon Thu 30-Jan-20 16:01:28

^hanging upside down; shock
DD has something like that but I was too nervous to try it!

anjo I think that is my problem, I have always been a "tripper^ and am constantly watching where I put my feet, added to which orthotics have made my walking worse.

Callistemon Thu 30-Jan-20 16:02:12

anno

It's not me, the autocorrect changed it three times!

Callistemon Thu 30-Jan-20 16:07:39

lucywinter grin I won't try the powerplate then!!

I am 62
Once again I am reminded of the wide range of ages on GN!

Juliet27 Thu 30-Jan-20 16:25:25

jennyvg I daren’t crouch nowadays as I’m sure the same thing would happen to me.

curvygran950 Thu 30-Jan-20 16:34:48

I, like Grandma70s did years of ballet and it was very good for my posture and flexibility. I do wonder ,though if it was the cause of crumbling lower spine ( at quite a young age, 30!) and replacement hip and knee in later years ....

Ellianne Thu 30-Jan-20 16:48:01

Yes, 12 years of ballet was very good for my deportment and flexibitity too, but I'm sure I wore out all my joints and spine with the landings!

Soubresaut, wasn't it?

curvygran950 Thu 30-Jan-20 17:02:18

Absolutely! I’m afraid all my landings recently have been unplanned, on my bum or flat on my face ! (apart from happy landings on a plane visiting my sons and baby DGD in Oz)

Aepgirl Thu 30-Jan-20 17:15:03

Don’t forget, the Duchess is still a young woman- I could do all those things at her age, but recently (I am 75) I have lost all strength in my upper legs. I am fine at walking, standing, even dancing, but if I crouch down I have to have some sort of support to get up. It’s all to do wit age.

bikergran Thu 30-Jan-20 17:27:09

"The Truth About Getting Fit" BBC was on a week or two ago.

Found it interesting(last 15 mins bit boring) but worth watching.

At the start it told you how to test your fitness level.
It was something to do with how long it took you to sit up and down off a chair in a certain amount of time.

Also it proved that doing 3 ten min fast/exercise a day was more beneficial than our 10,000 steps and was achieved faster.
Was an interesting programme. Im sure its available on catch up if anyone's interested.

LadyJus Thu 30-Jan-20 18:49:04

I too have trouble rising from a crouched position but the thing I really suffer with? Standing on one leg!! I honestly look like a surfer trying to balance!

paddyanne Thu 30-Jan-20 19:06:19

Callistemon the inversion table is meant to be great but I cant use it because I have high blood pressure.I have a power plate machine at home too and I love it it's helped a lot with my back and its great for toning

Grannyguitar Thu 30-Jan-20 19:06:35

@Grannygravy1 Sorry,I read that quickly, and thought you had teeth on just one of your legs. I must get out more.

Jane10 Thu 30-Jan-20 19:56:12

I can do that standing up from sitting in a chair without using hands 10 times in 10 seconds. Just tried. I feel so proud!

Callistemon Thu 30-Jan-20 19:59:15

I used to use toning tables but the place shut down nearby; you could put as much effort in as you wish and it was quite enjoyable.

paddyanne I'd better not try the inversion table then!

Sparkling Thu 30-Jan-20 20:17:29

If you can do that at eighty thats good Vegansrock. I am in my seventies and I exercise every day, but it's getting harder. The walks now are less than 6 miles, in the end age catches up with all of us, despite deportment lessons. If you can do anything it's watching your weight and to exercise every day in some way and keeping it up, once you stop you seize up.

bikergran Thu 30-Jan-20 20:42:55

Well done Jane must test mine lol not tonight though smile