Gransnet forums

Chat

Spring ?

(50 Posts)
Lisagran Sat 01-Feb-20 13:54:38

Spring is making an appearance in the garden = a feeling of hope

Rosina Sun 02-Feb-20 10:52:28

In mygarden right now is a patch of delicate snowdrops, and pink blossom on a tree that will last until about May. So pretty and good for the soul!

Theoddbird Sun 02-Feb-20 11:03:56

I noticed daisys popping up in the grass 3 weeks ago. It just seemed so wrong. The seasons are getting silly. We still haven't had winter...

TwiceAsNice Sun 02-Feb-20 11:10:26

I love spring and summer with all the flowers. I hate winter and the longer we go without the prospect of snow the happier I am, I hate it! They have lovely displays at my local garden centre at the moment but I’m afraid to buy just yet in case the weather gets worse

Daisyboots Sun 02-Feb-20 12:25:52

Spring is here in Portugal. As we drove down the road and through the forest to the main road the Acacia trees (more commonly known as mimosa here) are full with yellow flowers. So we know winter is just about over.

Madmaggie Sun 02-Feb-20 12:30:42

My deceased mums favourite flower was the anenome and I would save my pocket money to buy them for her. My maternal grandfathers was the daffodil, he lived with us & always had time for me, taught me to read, ride a bike etc. So when I see many flowers its like a book of memories.

Fennel Sun 02-Feb-20 12:51:28

Lisagran we have one of those in our tiny back garden, planted by the previous owner. Some kind of hellebore, a fascinating family of plants. I didn't realise it was there. the huge leaves from the previous year covered it, Now I've cut them back and the new flowers look beautiful.
I also have a very flourishing parsley plant, bought as a small herb last year in Tesco.

Growing0ldDisgracefully Sun 02-Feb-20 13:36:54

Taken a couple of weeks ago of a clump of primroses making the day beautiful. There's also cyclamen adding colour and brightening up the recent dull days. A couple of days before this picture I blundered out into the garden and found a beautiful fox having a nap in the sun in my overgrown ivy. I retreated quickly to leave him/her in peace. Not a wonderful picture but I hope you can make him/her out through my dusty window!

Lisagran Sun 02-Feb-20 13:40:53

That’s lovely Growing!

Phoebes Sun 02-Feb-20 14:57:12

Anyone who lives in Oxfordshire, go and have a look at the snowdrops in St.Mary’s churchyard, Kidlington.They are magnificent.

Nanny41 Sun 02-Feb-20 15:12:29

Thank you Lisagran, those lovely photos you have posted really give us hope, although where I live ( not in the UK) we shall have to wait a few months to see spring flowers, but I am lucky, we shall be in the UK in four weeks and we are looking forward to an aray of spring flowers!

TrendyNannie6 Sun 02-Feb-20 15:18:04

None of my daffy are budding as yet, but snowdrops are showing love spring, can’t wait for lighter nights

TrendyNannie6 Sun 02-Feb-20 15:18:38

Daffs

4allweknow Sun 02-Feb-20 17:42:02

Cherry blossom on some trees but what I love the most at this time of year is the scent from the Daphne bushes at the bottom of my garden. The scent just drifts up to the house and I love it. Even stand out in the rain to catch it.

Annaram1 Sun 02-Feb-20 19:29:56

I once lived in a house with a few snowdrops in the garden. Every year I split them up and planted them all over the place until the garden was white with them in spring. When we sold the house I dug up some and put them in a pot to transport to my new house. Alas, the pot of snowdrops got left behind.

Ginny42 Sun 02-Feb-20 21:55:36

I noticed the blossom is coming on the blackthorn in the woods, and the hazel catkins are now full of golden pollen.

Shizam Sun 02-Feb-20 22:43:53

I feel slightly worried we haven’t had a proper winter. Only two days of frost here. Global warming etc.

travelsafar Mon 03-Feb-20 06:43:40

Being able to get washing out on the line and almost dry for two days running means spring is on the way!!! smile

M0nica Mon 03-Feb-20 16:45:12

notagran, no interest in Its Bake-Off, but Welford is where we go for our annual dose of what we call 'infinity snowdrops', because as you look across the wood, you cannot see where the snowdrops end and they seem to go on for ever and ever.

I am unhappy that spring is here so early, before we have had any proper winter

NotAGran55 Mon 03-Feb-20 17:01:36

Monica Welford is absolutely stunning I agree .

I mentioned GBBO as there are probably people who are fans of the show who might like to visit where it is filmed at this special time of the year .

LullyDully Mon 03-Feb-20 17:09:40

I saw a dandelion last week flowering in all it's yellow glory. Beautiful unless in my flower beds

tanith Mon 03-Feb-20 17:25:30

I noticed this morning my flowering cherry has a pink hue, it won’t be long before it’s blossoming.

Smurf44 Tue 04-Feb-20 01:22:15

One of these pots of mini Irises has been in flower for a couple of weeks. Now the second pot has caught up and I love the colour. They were a gift from my friend, Iris, about 16 months ago. We will have known each other for 50 years this year as we started teacher training college together in 1970. Last year they didn’t flower until much later in February so I’m hoping Spring is well on its way.

Beechnut Tue 04-Feb-20 07:00:08

They look pretty Smurf.

Lisagran Tue 04-Feb-20 13:48:11

Those irises are lovely Smurf - mine, outside in a pot, are only just starting to open. Gorgeous colour!