Gransnet forums

Chat

Soop's kind, caring and sharing kitchen.

(1000 Posts)
soop Sat 01-Feb-20 15:03:09

Here we are again. Happy as can be...all good pals and jolly good company.

Whatever we need to share...feel free to join in. cupcake wine brew flowers smile sunshine

Susan56 Sat 01-Feb-20 15:07:30

Hi Soop,just logged in and there was the new kitchen!
🍾🥂 and 🍰🧁🍩on the side!

kittylester Sat 01-Feb-20 15:17:28

Hope someone left corks to show doodle the way.

chicken, one of our venerable cars was ginger. He was a particularly pale ginger and therefore called sesame. My husband swore blind he didnt like ginger cats but loved our Ses dearly. We have 3 cats now (none of them ginger) so I can imagine how you feel.

Thank you for the good wishes for Darcy. She is out of hospital now and seems well but they kept a bed for her for 3 days incase she needed to come back in.

I cannot grow snow drops, lily of the valley or violets - why?

Dont drink and eat everything, I have to walk to the village. Back soon.

Nannytopsy Sat 01-Feb-20 15:23:38

Hello the new kitchen! My landscaper brought me two big clumps of snowdrops on Thursday which I split and planted. I do hope they thrive!
Chocolate cage and a nice sparkling Saumur on the side. Enjoy!

annodomini Sat 01-Feb-20 15:25:08

chicken, I do hope your lovely cat pulls through. I've always had a soft spot for ginger cats. One great favourite when I was little was Orlando The Marmalade Cat so when I got a ginger kitten he had to be Orlando. My next one was Sandy, who eventually went blind but could find his way around the house, garden and cat flap without any trouble. So fingers firmly crossed for your much loved cat's recovery.

Nannytopsy Sat 01-Feb-20 15:43:21

Our Charlie is a long haired ginger who is deaf, with just a touch of dementia. It has made him very vocal but much more affectionate 😍. Hope yours recovers chicken.

Charleygirl5 Sat 01-Feb-20 15:46:38

I stumbled across the new kitchen, having left the old one minutes ago. No doubt we will fly through this one as well. Cake would ideal methinks. Luckily I do not like bubbly in any shape or form so my large share is available.
TOYA

GrannyGravy13 Sat 01-Feb-20 15:52:46

Hello to the new kitchen.

I have two bunches of beautiful Daffodils in full bloom in my kitchen, they do smell slightly odd though?

Having a lazy day, other than doing the washing I seem to be up to date with my jobs.

We used to have an enormous ginger tomcat, our daughter and her friends used to dress him up in dolls clothes and push him around in her dolls pram. He was also known to jump in the bath with her.

TOYA

soop Sat 01-Feb-20 15:55:59

GrannyGravy I love the sound of that enormous ginger cat. what a darling.

Have a new photo of greatgrandson Teddy for the gallery. All those that we had hanging in the previous kitchen, are now on display.

GrannySomerset Sat 01-Feb-20 15:57:52

We had a rescue ginger male who, when we took him in, was starving, had fleas and rickets, and the vet said were we sure we wanted to save him. Because he was always asking for more dinner we called him Oliver. He gave us fourteen years of gentle devotion, had an international fan club, and is still missed over twenty years on.

Do hope your boy pulls through, Chicken.

chicken Sat 01-Feb-20 16:18:57

Thank you all for your kind thoughts for my ginger tom (Baker). I've had a call from the hospital vet who tells me that he has eaten some food, so a slight improvement, but he's still very poorly. He's very anaemic, has very low blood pressure and is severely dehydrated. He's on a drip but can only be hydrated very slowly otherwise the anaemia would become much worse. No other investigations as he wouldn't survive an anaesthetic. She thinks that the tapeworm in dying released toxins. She will ring tomorrow morning unless he deteriorates, so I'm praying that the phone doesn't ring tonight.

Nannytopsy Sat 01-Feb-20 16:32:33

🤞

soop Sat 01-Feb-20 16:44:37

chickem Thank you for Baker's update. I do know how you are feeling right now. Many of us have been through the very same stressful wait and hope and all the rest.

I am about to see whether or not Scotland can play a decent game against the Irish rugby team. A big ask. Hey ho! One hopes.

Until I return tomorrow...TOYA and wishing you a peaceful Saturday evening. smile moon

callgirl1 Sat 01-Feb-20 18:33:03

I love this new kitchen, each one is just a tad nicer than it`s predecessor, but the views and the company just can`t be improved.
Chicken, all my best wishes for your dear cat`s recovery. We`ve only ever had one ginger cat, a beautiful rescued boy, we named him Pepper. Unfortunately, we didn`t have him very long, he got run over, it took 5 days to find out what had happened to him.
Soop, is the shop at Muasdale similar to what it was before? We`ve been discussing coming up there again, but it`s a matter of who can go and when. I think if we do come again we`ll be staying in Inverary again, that`s the general consensus of opinion anyway. So hopefully we`ll see you this year sometime.
I`m off to London with Dawn and Rena next Saturday until Sunday, we`re going to the Strictly roadshow at the O2 Arena. Then next month me and Dawn (Dawn and I?) are off to the O2 again, to see Michael Ball and Alfie Boe, my Christmas present from Dawn.
Ann, I hope the broken tooth isn`t painful, you`re very brave, I`m terrified of dentists, haven`t seen one since 1986!!

GrannyGravy13 Sat 01-Feb-20 18:55:49

Callgirl I hope you enjoy the Strictly Tour, we went several years ago and had a marvellous evening 💃🕺

GrannyGravy13 Sat 01-Feb-20 18:56:25

chicken I will keep my fingers and toes crossed for Baker.

Urmstongran Sat 01-Feb-20 19:21:21

Hello everyone! I’m rubbish at keeping up but now Brexit has been ‘done’ (I know, I know!) I’m going to post less on the political threads and come to this lovely place more often if I may?

Xx

annsixty Sat 01-Feb-20 19:35:07

What a lovely new kitchen.
I could do with the same kitchen planner, if only I could be bothered.
On my own tonight, both my lodgers are out for the night so I have fish and chips from the freezer it wasn't the best to be frank.
My tooth isn't painful at all thank goodness just can't keep my tongue out of the hole!
Good night to you all, TOYA.

Doodle Sat 01-Feb-20 20:04:30

Hello all. Thanks kitty you are right, I find the corks easier to follow than breadcrumbs. I have a nose for them 🍷 🍷 🍷 grin
So, a lovely new kitchen. Do you remember soop, many kitchens ago, when you thought that perhaps the kitchen had had its run and wasn’t needed any more? How wrong you were. I think there are more Kitcheners now than ever before all thanks to your wonderful welcome and caring posts 😀
A lovely picture of Teddy. So good looking like the rest of the family.😊
chicken welcome and I hope your Baker (great name) pulls through ok.
Thanks for the cake and bubbly nannytopsy.
TOYA💕

Fennel Sat 01-Feb-20 20:08:02

soop you're a gem smile.
Thanks for your reply yesterday.

annodomini Sat 01-Feb-20 20:42:53

What a sweet photograph of Teddy. Just look at those eyes. He is irresistible. 💞

Charleygirl5 Sat 01-Feb-20 20:50:06

Hopefully Baker will improve slowly- poor little mite.

soop Teddy is gorgeous- I love his hair colour.

I am washed and polished, I will watch Casualty and then bed.
TOYA

callgirl1 Sat 01-Feb-20 22:02:37

GG13, this will be our 3rd visit to the Strictly tour, the first 2 occasions we were fairly high up and needed to watch on the screens, but this time we have much better seats, trouble is, a higher price!
Soop, how could I have missed mentioning how gorgeous Teddy is?

NanaandGrampy Sat 01-Feb-20 22:27:22

Evening all !
Just popping in so I can find the new kitchen tomorrow !

Sending everyone a hug and I’ll catch up properly tomorrow x

Nannyfaraway Sat 01-Feb-20 22:34:37

Hello everyone. I'm glad I've found the new kitchen. Maybe I'll keep up with this one. Will pop in again tomorrow but in the mean time. TOYA

Bellanonna Sat 01-Feb-20 23:06:34

Soop, what a delightful picture of Teddy to grace the new kitchen.

soop Sun 02-Feb-20 11:35:12

Urmstongran Lovely to have you join us lot. The more, the merrier. smile

soop Sun 02-Feb-20 11:43:02

callgirl1 The new shop is heaps better than the original. It's funky and with it. A bit like we two. If you do visit, we shall most certainly hope to see you.

ann I know how it feels. The tongue seems drawn like a super magnet to the gap. Stay well.

Doodle Bless! grin You've made my day.

Fennel (hugs)

Nannyfaraway Good...we would enjoy sharing company with you more often.

Teddy has his Mummy's huge eyes. He's a darling boy.

soop Sun 02-Feb-20 11:44:13

chicken You haven't been far from my thoughts since we heard news of Baker yesterday. flowers

dragonfly46 Sun 02-Feb-20 11:46:28

Hallo to the lovely new bright spring kitchen.

I am feeling a little sad today but will try and pick up as the day goes on.
TOYA

soop Sun 02-Feb-20 12:16:55

dragonfly Sad...why is that?

dragonfly46 Sun 02-Feb-20 12:20:28

soop there are so many sad things happening in GN and elsewhere. For some reason I cannot shake them off. My usual optimism has gone out of the window.

GrannySomerset Sun 02-Feb-20 12:27:36

Any news of how Baker is faring?

GrannyGravy13 Sun 02-Feb-20 12:29:46

dragonfly flowers and virtual hugs.

I am avoiding some threads at the moment as some are so vitriolic and others just far too sad.

I shall just bide my time here in soops kitchen with my coffeee and book (and sorry it is a Milly Johnson lighthearted "chick lit" book nothing highbrow for me ATM)

callgirl we were fortunate as our friend had just won strictly so our seats were very good.

TOYA

soop Sun 02-Feb-20 12:39:06

dragonfly I also have days when I feel that the sadnesses of others becomes almost too much to bear. I get into a state of mind that forces me to dwell on cruelty and all manner of things that people inflict on others. It's horrible. BUT...there is also kindness and hope. Today, I came across the first clump of snowdrops in our garde. A sign of gentler times ahead. Rest, and know that us lot care for you.

Hello GrannySomerset. There is coffee in the pot and a few flapjacks to share around.

GrannyGravy13 Vitriolic comments are far removed from my agenda. I cannot be bothered to read the forums that appeal to those who enjoy spiteful bantering.

kittylester Sun 02-Feb-20 13:27:28

gg, I love a good Milly Johnson. They are just easy and sort of mind freeing. Good 'chicklit' is much misunderstood imo - it is just another way of seeing the human condition. Well, that's my excuse.

There is a lot of sadness out 'there' at the moment, isnt there? I always feel guilty about allowing it to make me sad when it is not my sadness, if you see what I mean.

Our Persie is still very, very spotty and poorly - which is also making me sad as she looks so ill.

I think a good brew is called for.

Susan56 Sun 02-Feb-20 13:36:02

Gorgeous picture of Teddy soop💙
I too have been feeling the weight of everyone’s sadness but see exactly what you mean kitty.The kindness in soops kitchen and on the good morning thread for and to all our virtual friends is very uplifting though.
Grannygravy,I too am avoiding a lot of threads at the moment.The vitriolic comments on some are unbelievable especially when people genuinely are asking for advice.
Hope Persie is soon feeling better kitty🍫
💐 to all who need them.

Charleygirl5 Sun 02-Feb-20 13:39:33

I agree Susan when the advice can be so simple but one gets one's head bitten off- is that how these folk live normally?

MawB Sun 02-Feb-20 13:40:35

With you there Kittylester - why am I in tears I ask myself, and the only answer is that something inside “reaches out” to those who are suffering or mourning, that lets a little of that sorrow in, and perhaps diminishes us a little.
However, deep breaths needed and one foot in front of the other , otherwise in the immortal words “We’re all doomed!”

soop Sun 02-Feb-20 15:30:00

Maw grin

kitty Wishing Persie a speedy get well.

annsixty Sun 02-Feb-20 16:04:07

It just brings it all back, every time.
How true is “No man is an Island”
Because we have been there we know what others are feeling, it is as if we are back there ourselves.
My house, in spite of others sharing with me, is so empty as is my life.
When my friend asked me about going out on Valentine’s Day ,although I agreed, it saddened me and I have now gone off the idea.
I can imagine people feeling sorry for us and perhaps it may be a reminder of what they will one day face.
On a lighter note my D said it’s ok mum, folk will think you are a couple.

soop Sun 02-Feb-20 16:15:26

ann Please reconsider the Valentine treat. Good company. Decent food and a glass of what you fancy...that's what I prescribe.

dragonfly46 Sun 02-Feb-20 16:22:44

You are right ann.
Yes things have been brought home to me this weekend and I seem to have lost my optimistic hat.
I have to find it again otherwise it will be hard to carry on - three more brutal chemos and umpteen radiotherapies.
As Maw says we are doomed.

I hope you feel better soon ann flowers

Galen Sun 02-Feb-20 16:54:58

Found you!
I know I’m doomed. I’ve had no heating since Thursday as my boiler has once again conked out! I’m fed up of it. It’s happening far too often and it’s still under guarantee!
My plumber can’t find what’s wrong with it and is trying to get Vaillant to come tomorrow to look at it.
At the moment I’m lying in bed with a fan heater going. My bedroom is the only room I can keep warm.
As my arthritis has decided to flare up and I feel ill generally, I’ve not eaten since Thursday.
Perhaps tomorrow will be another day! (? Gone with the wind?)

Doodle Sun 02-Feb-20 17:00:28

galen you must eat. Do you not have someone who could help with a meal. Failing that go and stay in a hotel till it’s fixed. You shouldn’t be cold in this weather. Hope you feel better soon.

chicken Sun 02-Feb-20 17:05:08

So many thanks to all of you who have sent good wishes for my Baker. The vet rang this morning to say that there was some improvement, his blood pressure is better than it was, he has eaten a bit and looks a little brighter. He was allowed out of his pen to have a walk around which he enjoyed but soon flopped. He is still very weak and snuffly, cause of snuffles unknown. They want to check his throat but he is too weak for an anaesthetic. He's being kept in the hospital again tonight and they'll review things tomorrow morning.

The vet on duty has been so kind and informative for which I'm really grateful.

The house seems very empty without our ginger boy.

soop Sun 02-Feb-20 17:09:02

Galen You cannot remain in your room without some nourishment. Can you make a flask of soup and take it to bed with you? Is there no one who can call in and keep an eye on you? I'm concerned.

dragonfly46 Sun 02-Feb-20 17:10:27

Galen I do hope you get your heating sorted out soon and you feel better. You reall should try and eat. Could you send for a takeaway?

Good news about Baker chicken I hope he continues to improve.

soop Sun 02-Feb-20 17:15:32

chicken Your Baker is a trooper. Thank goodness that he's in good hands. The vet sounds first class. I shall call in again tomorrow for further news. You both remain in my thoughts.

I am about to log off. Have watched tennis highlights and the rugby. Have supped many cups of tea and read the papers.
It's been a very grey day. I am longing for the coming of spring. We all need some sunshine to brighten our lives.

TOYA smile moon

MawB Sun 02-Feb-20 17:15:55

Oh dear Galen why are you not eating? You will be feeling colder than ever. My go-to in extremis is Heinz tomato soup with toast and (lots of) butter)
Dragonfly I hope I have not contributed to feeling down, I did say “ otherwise we are doomed”.
It’s a sad weekend for many reasons (not least the rugby) but my inner Pollyanna says we have to hang together, support each other, dish out tissues with one hand and if possible cake with the other.
Talking of which England’s performance in today’s Six Nations match is entirely responsible for the fact that I have eaten two custard tarts - straight off! blushblush

Galen Sun 02-Feb-20 17:16:22

I’ll survive.
Gary and Kate will be in tomorrow and a chap to help move some furniture round also hopefully a plumber!
It’s too cold to sit downstairs, it’s too big an area to heat with one small fan heater and my back is killing me if I try to stand or walk. My bedroom is warm with the heater and I’ve radio and sky tv.
Hope all the other people cats and children who are suffering recover soon.
TOYA

kittylester Sun 02-Feb-20 17:17:48

galen, please do what doodle said and stay in a hotel until your boiler is sorted. Seriously!

Good news about your cat chicken.

chicken Sun 02-Feb-20 17:18:38

Just to say that the kitchen is a wonderful place, with such compassionate and caring people popping in and out. OK, sometimes there is a lot of sadness, but that is always balanced eventually with hilarious tales which really lift the spirit.

Thinking of you,*Galen*, cold and unfed. Those boiler people should be made to endure the hunger and cold themselves to know what it feels like.

dragonfly46 Sun 02-Feb-20 17:24:10

Maw I will forgive you if you throw a custard tart my way!
Cake is definitely the answer.

annsixty Sun 02-Feb-20 17:27:21

And chocolate!

MawB Sun 02-Feb-20 17:28:50

Je vous en prie !

dragonfly46 Sun 02-Feb-20 17:30:25

Yummy thank you but please, I am tu to you 😃

annodomini Sun 02-Feb-20 18:15:03

Maw, if only I'd had a custard tart (or two) to hand today - and yesterday! Galen, I wish I could send you some hot soup with toast and butter. I accept that it would be an almighty effort for you to get yourself to a hotel tonight but if things are no better tomorrow, when you have Kate and Gary to help you, please see if they can enable you to find a cosy hotel.
chicken, cats are resilient creatures and I hope Baker shares this characteristic. I know how much you are missing him.

Charleygirl5 Sun 02-Feb-20 18:15:28

Maw and dragonfly how can you think about eating something with custard in it? Yuck.

chicken hopefully slowly that young man will find his feet and get better. I know what it is like, the house feels so empty and it is a different kind of emptiness to him being out and about for a few hours, knowing he will return.

Galen I echo others- a hotel bed for you until you get some heating again.
TOYA

Galen Sun 02-Feb-20 18:22:44

I’d die for one of the Portuguese custard tarts!

dragonfly46 Sun 02-Feb-20 18:27:32

If I was nearer I would pop to Lidl and get you some Galen. I do hope tomorrow is better for you flowers.

MawB Sun 02-Feb-20 18:41:38

Dare I suggest /wriggle out of this by saying I might have included a couple of others Dragonfly - just because there are a few tarts of course....
But if you can manage them all, well, je t’en prie! smile

Nannytopsy Sun 02-Feb-20 19:07:16

Roll on Spring! I think we all need some calm, sunny days in which to be at peace and recover our spirits. 💐 for all would are down at heart for whatever reason.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 02-Feb-20 20:02:00

Portuguese custard tarts are my downfall, I have not got a sweet tooth but cannot resistgrin

Galen Sun 02-Feb-20 21:01:06

Same hete

Galen Sun 02-Feb-20 21:01:34

Here

Urmstongran Sun 02-Feb-20 21:35:34

Hi everybody! Thank you soop for the welcome back. It’s nice to sit here quietly amongst such kind people. I’ve swerved the stupid folk on the politically jingoistic threads these last two days. They seem to find it such fun being so aggressive. I don’t see the point of winding each other up like this. They go round and round and get quite nasty.

I’ve had a lovely afternoon spending time with our grandchildren who are 7y and 3y. Balm for the soul. I will try to post a photo.

Sorry to hear you are feeling down dragonfly. Your ongoing treatment must take a lot out of you really.

My younger sister had a routine mammogram a few days ago and is due a follow up MRI scan in a fortnight. She is now over 4y post mastectomy, chemo and radiotherapy. She had 16 lymph nodes removed too. She lost her lovely dark hair but it’s grown back and she looks like Julie Walters with a grey pixie cut which suits her. I only tell you this as she is really WELL after her initial shock of Grade 4 cancer. I hope you feel better soon too.

Maw I adore custard tarts. One of my favourite treats! Thornton’s fudge is my other weakness.

NanaandGrampy Sun 02-Feb-20 22:47:04

Oh my life where does time go !

Maw those custard tarts looks delicious . Grampy and I are custard tart experts ! I have just had a long conversation with Tesco customer services because they have changed their recipe from baked egg custard to what I can only describe as ‘pudding custard’ !!!

Shock horror !!!

Turns out the original factory has gone out of business and this is a new company !

So now I must start the arduous task of tasting everyone’s custard tarts to find a proper egg custard !!!

Life is cruel 😁😁😁

Dirty to hear of your boiler troubles Galen but they pall into insignificance when you consider my egg custard drama 😁!!

I have to go and lie down to recover . Back tomorrow !

morethan2 Sun 02-Feb-20 22:58:17

Galen you really must eat,even if it’s only soup. I’m feeling a bit blue too. Maybe it’s the disruption of having a new kitchen fitted, maybe it’s because there’s a leak from the loft. My husband thinks it’s the stopcock. So not too serious (hopefully)Our weekend visit with my son and sick DiL has been particularly harrowing or perhaps it’s this never ending grey damp weather. I hope both I and dragonfly feel a bit brighter tomorrow. soop lovely photo of your gorgeous great grandson. He looks a poppet. I looked after my great grandson for a few hours the other day. When my husband came home he asked “will we ever have any length of time without a baby in this house?” My reply was “not anytime soon, lucky aren’t we” urmstonegran your right children light up our lives. Good night kitcheners tomorrows another day. Hopefully it’ll be a brighter one.

Nannytopsy Sun 02-Feb-20 23:12:15

🌺 morethan2

callgirl1 Mon 03-Feb-20 00:28:05

Dragonfly, sorry you`re feeling down, I hope you pick up very soon. My son goes to see his onchologist tomorrow, his first check up for 6 months since his radiotherapy ended, he`s gone from cheerful to very apprehensive in the space of 2 days.
Chicken, lovely to hear more positive news of Baker.
Galen, hopefully you`ll be warm and fed very soon. Where have Ann and Gary been since Thursday?
Lynne`s new rise and recline chair is being delivered tomorrow morning. I hope that the delivery man will be kind enough to put the present one in the garage for us, as she needs it until the new one arrives. Then in the afternoon she has her twice yearly check up at the hospital, she`s moaning about it summat rotten, hates leaving the house.

NanaandGrampy Mon 03-Feb-20 09:11:28

Morning all !

Not only a blue sky start to the day but we had the pleasure of watching a couple of hares in the field doing what hares do ! Too far for a decent pictures but a joy to watch.

After 'Custardgate' yesterday things are once again calm as we plan out which store to visit today to test their tarts :-) - any excuse quite frankly .

I can see why your son feels apprehensive Callgirl but hopefully he'll get that much needed reassurance today and will get back to his normal self.

Sending you a hug and some much needed strength Morethan even a stopcock takes on mammoth proportions when you have such family worries.

Lovely picture Urmston - you're right they light up our hearts don't they ?

Leaving you with a picture from yesterday evening from the golden hour - well it was more like 20 minutes . I was lucky as the swans casually swam into the picture just as I was leaving .

Happy day all !!

Susan56 Mon 03-Feb-20 09:20:28

Nanaandgrampy,our granddaughter is a connoisseur of the custard tart!We have tried them all and her favourite is Morrison’s.The Morrison’s aka the custard pie shop we drive past when we bring her back to her house has recently closed and she actually cried 🙈🤣we now have to make a detour on the way home to the new superstore!

annsixty Mon 03-Feb-20 09:30:12

“My name is Ann and I hate custard tarts”
I will form a club of Custard haters Anonymous.
An I still welcome in the kitchen?
Last week I mixed up Castellimon with Carillion by asking how her H was.
It seems ages since she posted, have I missed posts from her?
I don’t recall hearing since her H left hospital.
Someone’s house alarm is going off,
It is very loud and annoying, I hope it stops soon.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 03-Feb-20 09:32:10

Spotted these on my bird feeder this morning, not sure if they are doves or white pigeons.

Wishing morethan and dragonfly are not feeling so sad today.

I have had my morning cuddle with youngest GC dropped here as big brother picks up his scooter to scoot to school.

Off to the gym and then going to local tea shop with "gym pals" for a good natter and a healthy sandwich.

TOYA

aggie Mon 03-Feb-20 09:34:32

I enjoy Lidl’s custard tarts , luckily I can only get there once a week 😉

MawB Mon 03-Feb-20 09:40:03

Thank goodness we don’t all like Custard Tarts- there would never be enough to go round smile

kittylester Mon 03-Feb-20 09:53:50

I love a custard tart but can no longer partake unless I can find gf ones - rare! We found some in a cafe in Thorpeness so I had to have 2 - just to check they were good enough- they were. We've been back a few times and they have not had them again.

I am hoping you have eaten by now, galen. I think I remember you going to respite place after a hospital stay - would that be an option now? Please take care of yourself!

call, I hope you son gets the reassurance he needs and that all goes well for your daughter.

Lovely photos from everyone.

TOYA

morethan2 Mon 03-Feb-20 10:01:41

NannaandGrampy your photograph has really gave my spirits a lift. It’s gorgeous, is it taken on a special camera? Hoping for good news from Callgirl
My poor, poor DiL is suffering so much it’s just so upsetting to see. How her parents are able to bear it I just don’t know. Her sight has almost completely gone. For the first time yesterday I saw raw fear on the 11 years olds face as she jumped up to help her mummy into the living room. Oh dear such horrible sadness. I’m laying in my bed hiding from the kitchen fitter. There’s no running water in the kitchen but a leak from the water tank and my poor husband is struggling in a very small loft trying to fix the stopcock. Please don’t think my life is just full of misery. It’s not, yesterday we all had a good laugh with my DiL and son about who had lost the most hair. I wish you all a reasonably good day.

annsixty Mon 03-Feb-20 10:23:11

morethan flowers flowers flowers

annodomini Mon 03-Feb-20 10:28:52

I may have to take part in the custard tart research. I used to make them myself but as there's no-one at home here now, I haven't made any for a long time and if I did, I'd get even fatter and explode. The night before last I had a very rare visit from DS2 who had come north to see all his old crowd at an engagement party for one of them - a middle aged 'do' and very different from their teenage p**s-ups of yore. DS reached me at a respectable hour - ie before midnight. It was good to see him and sad to have to drop him off at the station next day.
DGD2 is again being recognised for her achievements and is 'student of the week'. How does she fit it all in? That's a rhetorical question to which there is no answer.
I was so tempted to stay in bed this morning. When I closed my eyes, I started to drift off again, despite a full 7 hours. So I forced myself to get up.
Wow! Just spotted a pair of bullfinches in my bare rowan tree. Such spectacular little birds!
Galen, I do hope you are taking all our helpful advice. We care about you.

dragonfly46 Mon 03-Feb-20 10:40:53

Galen hoping your boiler is fixed today and that you manage to eat - if not custard tarts.

I hope your son has good news Call.

What a wonderful GD you have anno.

So sorry to hear that things are so bad Morethan although it is good to half a laugh.

I have just rung the hospital. Having spent 6 hours there on Tuesday evening, the outcome of which was that I would have a direct line fitted in my arm as the veins in my hand have collapsed, I now find that nothing has been done about it and nobody seems to know about it. I now have to wait until Thursday when I see my oncologist to see if one can be fitted by Friday when I have my next chemo.
Up until now I have had really good treatment so this is very disappointing.

Alygran Mon 03-Feb-20 11:13:54

Hello kitcheners.
I have spectacularly failed to dig out the bay tree. It’s much too big a job for me. I have cut it right down and can see the snowdrops that we’re hiding behind it. How did they get there?Will have to get someone in to dig the root out.
Dragonfly sorry to hear the hospital has failed to sort things out for you. DH had a line put in one day and chemo the next so hopefully they can get things organised quickly for you.
Morethan hugs.
No custard tarts here but I do like the Portuguese ones. They were on the breakfast buffet last year in the hotel in Vilamoura.
TOYA

Galen Mon 03-Feb-20 11:44:48

Vaillant have just rung, they’re coming tomorrow. Just hope they’ve got all the bits they need.

soop Mon 03-Feb-20 11:45:55

Maw One custard tart is never enough. grin

soop Mon 03-Feb-20 11:54:32

Gorgeous photos from you lot.

Urmstongran I can feel the love between your grandchildren. A very special image of them.

N&G Wow! That photo would win a competition.

GrannyGravy Your photo is also beautiful and tranquil.

Maw I was wondering where Gary is right now. He should be keeping a beady eye on you. You really must take on board some nourishment. Or else!

Charleygirl5 Mon 03-Feb-20 12:00:57

soop and Maw you can have my share- I am in ann's camp.

Morethan my heart goes out to your gd as well as your DiL. A very heartbreaking stressful time for you.

Anneliese we have not heard from you for a while- how is your DH?

The sun peeps out here from time to time- I really must go out to buy some necessities. Morrisons man is delivering tomorrow but I do not trust them with bread and their short use by dates.
TOYA

soop Mon 03-Feb-20 12:04:19

I am a custard lover...and, if i had my wicked way...which I don't, I would eat a bowl full every day. As it is, I have it on special occasions and make the most of the treat.

morethan Lovely lady. flowers

dragonfly That does sound disappointing after all the splendid treatment you've received so far. I trust that the matter will be resolved asap.

Hello again, Alygran. I have never ever tasted a Portugese custard tart. When I lived in Northampton, many long years ago, a shop named Lawrence's made the most mouthwatering cakes on the premises, including custard tarts and lardy cake, which contained more calories than anyone could count, let alone devour.

soop Mon 03-Feb-20 12:08:41

anno I feel your justified pride in your granddaughter's achievements.
Bullfinch are spectacular wee birds. We get them visit our garden. At the moment, a gang of hedge sparrows are chattering away at full throttle. MacS loves them (and spoils them) to bits. As he does all the birds who use our garden.

Galen Mon 03-Feb-20 12:51:29

soop I’ve had some soup which Gary got me.
By the way Gary is mine not Maw’s
Well, technically he’s Kate’s, but you know what I mean.

soop Mon 03-Feb-20 12:53:32

Ooops! A serious senior moment. Sorry, Galen. grin

Greyduster Mon 03-Feb-20 13:43:11

Hello the brand new kitchen! I thought I had better poke my nose in before people start wondering “who she??”

Soop you sound very chipper and I hope you are mending after your traumas. Teddy is coming on in leaps and bounds!

To add to the Custardgate debate, we, that is GS (who sees himself as an afficianoda in these matters), grandad and I, have voted Morrison’s as the creme de la creme of custard tarts (unless you are fond of pasteis de nata, and who would not be!).

Morethan what a hard road for you all, but if there are little pockets of joy, store them in your hearts 💐💐.

N&G what a superb photo! And I would have loved to have seen your hares. We had them in our valley a few years ago, but they all seem to have disappeared. A local farmer blames badgers confused.

Good luck with the boiler, Galen; the weather, up here at least, is set to get colder!

We had lovely sun this morning, but it has now done a runner. I did, however, manage to do a couple of hours of garden taming, which was very therapeutic. That’s my kit today. School run later. I will try and look in a bit more!
TOYA.

soop Mon 03-Feb-20 14:53:26

It is lovely to hear from you, Greyduster.
I awoke today virtually pain-free Bliss!

dragonfly46 Mon 03-Feb-20 15:27:52

Brilliant news soop.

Bellanonna Mon 03-Feb-20 15:39:45

soop 🙂

chicken Mon 03-Feb-20 15:56:02

Lidl's custard tarts are addictive---I always get us one each on shopping day. Could eat half a dozen but must draw the line somewhere.

Update on my ginger tom,*Baker*---he's still in the vets hospital, now hydrated but has eaten only enough to keep a fly alive. His nasal passages are completely blocked, and his third eyelids are still over his eyes. The vets now say that his symptoms are those of cat flu----which I don't understand as he's fully up to date with all his injections and boosters. It's very worrying.

I've spent all morning at the local hospital having the assessment for cataract surgery. It will probably be done sometime around June. Good job it's quite an early cataract, so the wait won't be too bad. I think the fluorescent eye drops must have gone through the system quite quickly because my pee is now bright lime green!!

chicken Mon 03-Feb-20 16:02:13

soop-- so glad you are pain free.

morethan--I can't imagine how you cope. I so admire your fortitude.

Galen-- glad the boiler men are coming. Let's hope they get it right this time round.

Sorry I can't remember everyone. My poor brain is like me---too old.

soop Mon 03-Feb-20 17:28:41

chicken Your Baker is a tough cookie. I continue to root for him. No doubt he'll be on a course of serious antibiotics.

I've had my right eye cataract done. Splendid result. The left will be "ripe" enough sometime soon. MacS is having his done this summer. Lime green pee - envy Now we'll want some.

Thank you for being chipper re my virtually pain free day. It makes a huge difference. I wish with all my heart that I could share with all of you who need and deserve some too.

Care home visit in the morning. The weather is atrocious. The sea is mountainous. And still the sparrows are singing...bless them.

TOYA smile moon

kittylester Mon 03-Feb-20 18:47:55

Just popping in for a catch up and to escape from DH's brother who is in lurve and boring us to death!!!

kittylester Mon 03-Feb-20 18:49:09

That wasnt kind or caring for soop's kitchen was it - am I sorry - no!!! grin

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion