Gransnet forums

Chat

Strange happenings

(36 Posts)
Auntieflo Mon 03-Feb-20 11:57:16

My husband ordered a book recently, to be delivered by Royal Mail.
We were away at the weekend, and on our return found a postcard from RM, telling us that they had tried to deliver a parcel, on 31/01/20.
This morning DH visited RM collection point and was told that the delivery address had been changed to a different house number. 4 houses away from us.

He was shown a form on which the alteration was noted. According to the member of staff he spoke to, this alteration had been made on line!!!

DH hasn't done it, so who has?

The parcel is out for re-delivery, and our neighbours now will be on the look out for us.

DH contacted the people from whom he ordered the book, and they have our correct address.

Has anyone else had this happen to them?
If it arrives, I will let you all know.

NfkDumpling Wed 05-Feb-20 17:15:34

I agree Welbeck. I’ve tried this on-line buying lark and decided it’s easier to buy from a shop.

Particularly when they only give a day for delivery and don’t narrow it down.

Particularly when they send an email saying we were out and couldn’t deliver when I was sitting working by the front window.

I only buy on-line now when there’s no alternative.

GrumpyGran8 Wed 05-Feb-20 17:04:06

grandtanteJE65 I don't think the postie can be blamed for not delivering parcels to your friends. I've lived in rural Scotland for 15 years and the local posties all have huge rounds which involve going miles up farm tracks and small roads which only have two or three houses along them; it wouldn't be any extra hardship for them to go up just one more little road. Myself, I'd be looking for a parcel thief who lives close by, knows the houses don't have any passing taffic and regularly goes looking for things left on doorsteps.
Our particular postie is a gem, though. We used to live 12 miles down the road from out present house. When we told him we were moving and where to, he told us not to bother paying for a mail redirect, as the new house was on his round and he would ensure we got our mail!

welbeck Wed 05-Feb-20 01:28:02

and people think this is preferable to going to a shop, examining goods, making a purchase and carrying them out with us.

HiPpyChick57 Wed 05-Feb-20 00:20:34

Delivery man knocked my door and asked if I’d take a parcel for number 26 (next door but one)I said yes and took it in.
I took the parcel down a bit later when I thought they’d be in. They weren’t so I brought it back home and went back to put a note through their letterbox to say the parcel was at mine but I’d had to leave for work so would bring it down later.
Got back from work and as I was shuffling out the door to try and deliver the parcel again I happened to glance down at the address and instead of saying 26 it said 28... MY number! I’d been all afternoon trying to deliver my own parcel to the neighbours. ?
I had to then go and tell her that the parcel had been mine all along. ??‍♀️
We had a bit of a chuckle over that but the thing is it clearly said 28 and didn’t look at all like the number 26 ??‍♀️

Grammaretto Tue 04-Feb-20 22:47:33

We have lived 40 yrs in this 200yr old house and still delivery people can't find us.
Are people getting stupider?
Occasionally I go to answer the doorbell and a pained looking delivery person says they have been looking for my house for ages. I tell them it hasn't moved in 200 years.
Part of the problem is it isn't on google maps so isn't on their satnav and the address the Royal Mail/Post Office has for us is a house that was demolished 70 years ago. We have told them to change it many times but they never do.
They end up going to the local pub and someone directs them. Old fashioned but it works.

Happygirl79 Tue 04-Feb-20 20:34:45

@Mirren.
You can go on to google maps and correct this yourself. Check the dots at the top of the screen

Xxjanexx Tue 04-Feb-20 19:29:33

I had a delivery today,I checked on my phone I would be back in time and lo and behold 5 mins later it flashed up on my phone that order had been delivered and given to resident!!
When we got home 2 boxes was under the hedge!
When I opened them 1 of the items was missing!
The package hadn’t been opened I’m sure it’s a case of the sender forgetting to put the item in.
Mistakes do happen I no that,customer service was excellent when I rang and said they would send another in the post today.
If I’m sending anything I always use my Hermes there a lot cheaper the RM and the collect it from your house.

Auntieflo Tue 04-Feb-20 19:06:00

Talk Talk bill all sorted, and DH is pleased with the resulting reduction of approx £11.00 per month.?

Esmerelda Tue 04-Feb-20 18:36:18

For years my brother and his wife received mail for the people living at the same house number and street name as them but in a different area of our city (as indeed did the people there get stuff for my brother) although the post codes were quite different and were correctly shown on the envelopes. Fortunately there was an amical exchange of mail between the two households and it stopped happening after a while (maybe the PO got a better post code reader machine!).

CBBL Tue 04-Feb-20 17:11:58

I had a what I think is a fairly unique problem for some time, when living in Leeds. Property across from me on the same street was demolished and new houses were built. One row of the new houses faced into an existing street "Cross Roundhay Avenue". This street had existed from many years, but NO properties faced into this street, until the new row of houses was built. I lived on Roundhay avenue, at No. 3. The people at No.3. Cross Roundhay Avenue began ordering lots of things after they moved in, and mail for them was delivered to me together with many parcels, and take-away food orders (including late at night, when I'd gone to bed!). I began by taking things back to them (a fairly steep uphill walk of about a hundred yards) and explained the difference in the street addresses. It never made any difference! In the end, after two YEARS, I refused to take things to them. If I could return them, I did. I was at work during the day, and could not see the postman. I wrote to the local council and even my MP, but could not get any satisfaction. The people living at Cross Roundhay Avenue refused to open their door to me after a while - so I gave up. I had window cleaners arrive, un-asked for. A TV Aerial company took down my aerial because "they" had ordered one. The problem was that "they" continued to use "my" address - and nothing I said or did seemed to make any difference. I'm just glad that I moved (after retiring!)

CleoPanda Tue 04-Feb-20 16:17:33

Last week, I was waiting in all day at home for a parcel delivery that needed to be signed for. The delivery slot was “all day between 8 and 8” ! It didn’t arrive and the customer service helpline closed at 8. I had a tracking number and was surprised to see it had been delivered to “ the front desk” and signed for by “Woods”. ( not any name connected to me or my neighbours) The following day, I had one of those surreal conversations where you begin to doubt your own sanity. Eventually the CS guy seemed to accept that it had been misdelivered & promised to look into it. 24 hours later, he did ring me back. They knew it had been delivered and where, and he would arrange for it to collected and redelivered. Another 24 hours and he rang again. He wanted to know if I would like it be delivered quickly or after the weekend. I said quickly. I put the phone down; there was a knock at the door, and there was the courier with my parcel. I still think the courier was hiding in the shrubbery waiting to hear if he could deliver it or whether he had to take it away until the following week!

grannydarkhair Tue 04-Feb-20 13:36:20

I had a letter delivered from France a few days ago. The number part of the address is correct, the street part is one letter wrong. There is no post-code. But it is clearly marked Leeds, I live in Dundee. ??

Revis Tue 04-Feb-20 13:31:10

I realised a parcel was late arriving so tracked it online. Message from Parcelforce said they couldn't find the house so had left a card to say parcel was at local post office! The postmaster couldn't explain but had my parcel, thankfully

Mirren Tue 04-Feb-20 13:12:15

My house , built in 1905 and definitely big enough to see , stands on the main road with the street name clearly displayed on the front garden wall .
Easy to find you would say ?
Nope !
Enter post code or even address into any google map or similar and, hey presto , we have move almost half a mile away .... from Xxxxxx Crescent to Xxxxxxx ROAD .
Happens all the time. Delivery men need a long winded explanation and the poor folks at Xxxxx road must he fed up . They even almost had our new wardrobe delivered there.
I don't understand because our house was there first .
Very odd !

Auntieflo Tue 04-Feb-20 11:48:29

Thank you for all the replies.
Lemongrove, I am sure that DH checked the address. As I mentioned, there were two labels on the parcel.
One correct, the second one, incorrect.
When DH phoned the company despatching the parcel, they had / or said they had, used the correct address.
Anyway, all is now well.
Just got to sort out our Talk Talk bill now.
Thanks to all.

grandtanteJE65 Tue 04-Feb-20 11:39:29

Friends of mine who live outside a small Scottish town frequently do not get parcels which are then sent back to sender.

The reason seems to be that as their houses (two sisters living door to door) are the among the four last on a country road that the postman doesn't bother to drive up there if there is only post to one of the addresses.

The Royal Mail deny this, of course, but there seems to be no other explanation.

moggie57 Tue 04-Feb-20 11:27:00

not having a go at muslims just stating his culture

moggie57 Tue 04-Feb-20 11:26:25

i got an even stranger one. signed for a small package from hermes.didnt notice the address till afterwards .name and postcode wasnt right.so i spoke to hermes who told me not their fault as the number of the flat was right. told them they need glasses as the postcode is not mine. they told me to go deliver it myself .i said no (i have done this twice before). they said it come from another courier company at that they were at fault with the address.so i look up this company which is in china. tried contacting them and email. please call it says .no way am i contacting china .so here i am with someone elses parcel/ even if i deliver the parcel to the right address. he's a muslim guy was very rude to me last time that i opened his parcel. told him put his address not mine.. yet another parcel arrives with my address and his postcode.think i have another go at hermes.or see if i can catch hermes delivering around here.see i signed for itnot realising it wasnt for me .HELP. ???

Tweedle24 Tue 04-Feb-20 11:24:20

I recently had a order delivered from Amazon. I had a notification of delivery with a photograph of my parcel outside a door I did not recognise. I rang Amazon and had a replacement delivered the next day. I can’t help wondering what happened to my original delivery.

annodomini Tue 04-Feb-20 11:19:13

A few years ago, I ordered a Scotsman calendar when it never arrived, I found that it had been delivered to an address which I certainly had not given them, in fact, to an address down the road which turned out to be a community centre and not a residential address at all. I never tracked it down and the Scotsman sent a replacement. In this case, it wasn't down to the PO. It must have been someone who entered the wrong address on the label.

Skweek1 Tue 04-Feb-20 11:17:11

On the other hand, many years ago my aunt sent a card to our neighbours. She didn't know their name or house number, so addressed it to "The Family,The Newly painted green house on the corner, West Malvern Road, West Malvern, Worcestershire". There was no problem - arrived from Aberdeen the day after posting! And there were over 300 houses in West Malvern at that time.

Skweek1 Tue 04-Feb-20 11:12:34

Things do go wrong, but generally pretty good. I bought a light/alarm for MIL's birthday and liked so much that I bought a second for me. Sadly hers was faulty so swapped mine and asked for one which worked. Without warning, Amazon arranged for collection and the collection company were angry, as Amazon phoned them on Thursday night and told them that it would be ready early on Friday morning. I was still packing it when they turned up and had to return on Saturday.

Riggie Tue 04-Feb-20 10:51:19

I ordered from Lands End. Have used them before (and since). When my parcel did not arrive, I rang and they said hadn't anyone been in touch as it had been delivered to an elderly lady who lived some distance away. It was correctly addressed to me. The only thing in common was that both our streets start with the same letter and are just a name with no "st" or "rd" at the end. We're urban and not hard to find!! Her carer had rung to let them know they had it and lands end had asked the courier (hermes) to collect and redeliver. They didn't. The number of times that I was told it was an elderly lady made me think they wanted me to go and fetch it. It was two not very frequent buses each way!! They eventually decided to send me a replacement by 1st class Royal Mail and then proceeded to ring at intervals to see if the couriers had delivered the original. (They never have...yet)

Justanotherwannabe Tue 04-Feb-20 10:29:50

I recently ordered some seeds. The address was correct, but they were delivered to a house, same number, about half a mile away in a road with a totally different name and postcode.
Amazingly, out of the hundreds of houses possible, it ended up at my best friend's house!

lemongrove Tue 04-Feb-20 10:13:00

Auntieflo when ordering the book, did you or your DH check the delivery address? When you type in the post code it will offer you quite a few numbers on that street/lane etc if you don’t click on a particular number it will just deliver to the postcode.I imagine that you did choose the right house number, but am casting around for explanations.?