Gransnet forums

Chat

Inner monologue

(94 Posts)
Yennifer Thu 06-Feb-20 14:48:16

I learnt something very interesting today, not everyone has an inner monologue. Some of us think things through in our heads and can have conversations with ourselves while others think very differently in images and emotions and have to verbalise what is on their minds. I find this hard to believe! How do you think?

vickya Fri 07-Feb-20 12:13:48

I have lots of things go through my mind and I think about them. I might say them in my mind but am not sure if that is an inner monologue?

Seefah Fri 07-Feb-20 12:35:35

Yesterday I had an appointment I’d paid £35 for and at the last minute couldn’t find the necessary document. I turned everything upside down and felt I was about to cry. I texted my hubby , what a stupid waste of £35. Then I got the thought ‘look in that cupboard’. What for, I thought, I already did. ‘Look again’. So I did and there was the document ! Is that me or an angel? I sometimes think not all my thoughts are mine but then I am quite telepathic.

EthelJ Fri 07-Feb-20 12:59:18

I definitely have an inner monologue. I talk to myself on my mind all the time. I don't see things though, it's just words

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 07-Feb-20 13:04:22

I definitely have an inner monologue, is this why I and many others write? I have an imagination which is creative and I would hate to live without sewing or books.

GrandmaMoira Fri 07-Feb-20 13:13:33

I read that earlier today and was surprised as I could not imagine not having an inner monologue/mind's eye. Mine is constant and I'm sure adds to my difficulty getting to sleep and my indecision at times.
Thinking about it now, I think my late DH did not have this as he hated being on his own and had to have something to occupy him such as watching a film.

Dustyhen2010 Fri 07-Feb-20 13:13:39

@Rosina

Dustyhen2010 Fri 07-Feb-20 13:32:00

Trying to add in Rosina's message here to comment on but not sure how to do it!
Rosina mentioned about Dominic Lawson and his article about not having a 'minds eye'. I too have this and didn't know until I was talking to my husband a few years ago. I thought he had a special power as he could 'see' people in his mind even those long gone. It was when I spoke to others that I realised I was the odd one out. Like Dominic I can describe what others look like but not 'see' them. This applies to everyone, even those I have know all my life and I can't bring to mind how my mum or dad looked. I can look at someone and close my eyes and not be able to picture them. Rosina thought that maybe Dominic doesn't dream. In my case I do and what I dream is a bit like how I remember events. It is a bit like seeing through a mist but not quite as positive as that. You have a feeling, for example if thinking about an event you have been to you can remember who was in each seat but can't get any details of how they or the room looked. Dreams are like that. I could dream about a purple coat that someone is wearing but not 'see' the coat properly. Hope that explains it. Interestingly one of my children is the same as me but two are not.

nanamac77 Fri 07-Feb-20 13:39:28

Put it the other way. I have tried many times NOT to think (in words) and failed. I've believed for years that it's impossible - unless, maybe, those who meditate can somehow do it.

Yennifer Fri 07-Feb-20 13:40:27

I looked into it more, some people think only in words, some in ords and images and some only in images. I am words and images, I find it fascinating. Except when I think something through and only blurt out the conclusion or plan out a message and forget to send it, then its annoying lol

Yennifer Fri 07-Feb-20 13:42:37

I wonder if it affects anything, like are people who think in images really artistic?

Hetty58 Fri 07-Feb-20 13:42:57

I use both types of thinking, but mainly visual/pictures/diagrams. I remember a lot of things in cartoon form.

My late husband couldn't understand it, convinced that we remember and learn in words!

I don't have conversations in my head, though, and there's no anxious inner voice to annoy me, thank Heavens!

Neilspurgeon0 Fri 07-Feb-20 13:53:28

Love M0nica’s comment as I can so relate, always talking to myself inside my bonce and I rehearse what I would/will say when I will meet a particular person, if I ever do, in the future (very long story)

Oopsadaisy3 Fri 07-Feb-20 14:30:51

Me too! Thank goodness it isnt only me, I talk to myself all of the time, running through different scenarios etc.Certain people I’d love to meet to give them a piece of my mind, I’ve rehearsed the conversations often enough , I’ll be word perfect!
Sometimes talking to myself out loud, DH asks me what I said and I tell him I’m just singing.....
On a more serious note though, GD has OCD and is unable to stop thoughts running around her head and is having counselling, she thinks that her ‘bad’ thoughts mean that she is a bad person, hopefully a Counsellors advice will help her, she doesn’t seem to listen to us.

grannybuy Fri 07-Feb-20 16:25:41

I too have constant verbalisation going on in my head. I often think how strange it must be for creatures, to not be able to think in words, only in feelings. In fact, I suppose that they don't 'think' as we know it. The thought of not being able to think in words is actually quite scary.

Daisyboots Fri 07-Feb-20 16:43:53

I had never hiven it any thought until my niece posted a link about it on FB a couple of days ago saying how surprised she was that not everyone has inner coversations. I have had them since I was a child and wonder what can be in a person's mind if they don't. I cannot imagine my mind being blank and I am sure I couldnt meditate with a blank mind. Sometimes I have asked my DH what was he thinking and his reply has been not a thing but other times he has said he was thinking x or y. I often practice what I am going to say in Portuguese in my inner monologue.

anniezzz09 Fri 07-Feb-20 16:58:07

My husband laughs at me because if I need to explain to someone how to get to a place, I have to do it by seeing a series of pictures of the route in my head. I do it for myself too, maps and road signs do nothing for me at all.
However I can't 'see' people in my head even if I know in words how they look.

Dianehillbilly1957 Fri 07-Feb-20 16:59:51

The monkey in my brain works overtime especially at night, drives me mad, I'm always arguing with it.. Dreams are another thing! Overactive imagination going on!!

Lilyflower Fri 07-Feb-20 17:25:02

An English teacher, a journalist, an English graduate working in communications and a politics graduate writing and coordinating for an M.P.

My family is a bunch of verbal scriptarians! Two of them ‘leak’ they are so driven by the voices running constantly in their heads. I escape into someone else’s voice by reading.

M0nica Fri 07-Feb-20 17:26:47

I mix visual and verbal. This afternoon, sitting in the car, I was mentally planning some major garden alterations.

Mind said: 'What if you get rid of the pergola, hmm, will DH mind? Then I visualised the pergola gone, the, as yet unbuilt, extension in and what the area outside the living room would lok like. Then the monologue started again. 'That might work, now where will I put the whirligig dryer?'

and on, and on, and on.

Yennifer Fri 07-Feb-20 17:38:03

I wonder if I would like myself better if I didnt have to listen to me all the time! x

Applegran Fri 07-Feb-20 18:08:43

Some people call the inner monologue/dialogue the "chatterbox' and say it isn't really you - its just something your brain does - and that it is important to know that your thoughts are not The Truth. Check them out and ask if they are true and helpful. Many people suggest standing back and observing the chatter, rather than identifying with it, and when an old thought returns just say "Oh! There's that thought again!" Good books on this include 'Feel the Fear and Do it Anyway' by Susan Jeffers, "The Chimp Paradox" by Steve Peters and "How to Stay Sane' by Philippa Perry. All are paperbacks, easy to read and not expensive. Could be life changing!

Madwoman11 Fri 07-Feb-20 18:42:18

Oh if only we had a switch, so we could have peace from the inner dialogue/ constant jabber. It wears me out ?

Deedaa Fri 07-Feb-20 19:03:13

As well as the inner monologue I also become the hero/heroine of any book I read. I was amazed when DH didn't know what I was talking about because I couldn't imagine any other way of reading.

BlueBelle Fri 07-Feb-20 19:09:22

I m another who constantly talks in my brain practising conversations even giving the other persons made up answers
I do see some pictures but think the words are more prevalent
It goes on and on I wish it would shut up I have never had an awake moment
I once went to a gp who practiced hypnotism but after three tries he gave up I was still mentally talking as he was trying I remember in my brain asking him “Why can I hear a lady in high heel shoes walking past your window in the street shouldn’t I be out of it by now” I could not think of nothing impossible I wish I could have a break

MissAdventure Fri 07-Feb-20 19:23:42

yeniffer, a user here is a really talented artist, but yet never sees a picture in her minds eye.
She used the example of the word 'giraffe' but said she cannot picture one when she thinks of the word.
I immediately see one every time - I couldn't paint one though!