Gransnet forums

Chat

Natural nails or painted

(59 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Sat 08-Feb-20 09:01:26

Are you like me. Gransnetters, I do love to have both fingernails and toe nails painted, regardless whether it’s sandal weather and my feet will be on display.

Esther1 Sun 09-Feb-20 16:03:16

I used to have gel on fingernails and toe nails in a salon - then a chiropodist questioned their hygiene in some of these places and it was enough for me to either do them myself now or go natural. Luckily my nails are nails look fine without any polish.

timetogo2016 Sun 09-Feb-20 11:08:05

I`m with GrannyGravy13.
Only worn varnish once and did not like it one bit.

Tweedle24 Sun 09-Feb-20 11:07:32

Like MiniMum, I was a nurse all my working life but, make up for it now! I have gel nails done in a nail bar. They last up to four weeks and are shaped beautifully. I like the fancy colours too. Currently they are a sparkly navy

SirChenjin Sun 09-Feb-20 11:03:50

Shock, horror - older women have wrinkles! So what?!! Wear what the heck you like and you feel happy in ?

lemongrove Sun 09-Feb-20 10:40:26

Callistemon.....same here, without a little make up ( yes, less is more etc) I look a bit peelywally.

lemongrove Sun 09-Feb-20 10:38:52

I have attractive feet Esspee !?
Tbf, probably my best feature.

Callistemon Sun 09-Feb-20 10:07:29

Same here travelsfar
Esspee I do wear some makeup as I look washed out without any and some people ask me in that faux concerned manner, head on one side, if I'm feeling all right!

So less is more.
Wrinkles? What are they?

travelsafar Sun 09-Feb-20 09:14:10

My nails are always breaking and have ridges in them so i keep them short and use a special nail oil to try and keep them strong with a coat of a well known brand of nail hardener which is clear.

Esspee Sun 09-Feb-20 08:58:13

Problem with painted nails is that it draws attention to your hands and feet which are a dead giveaway of age and few older ladies have attractive feet.
Makeup tends to gather in the wrinkles of older skin accentuating the problems.
Failing eyesight also means a less than perfect finish to makeup and nails. I notice this with older ladies all the time, even to the point of looking ludicrous.

Pittcity Sun 09-Feb-20 08:41:33

I'm with BBevan. I hate the 'heavy' feeling of varnished fingernails. Luckily I have healthy looking nails that I keep short.
My toenails are another story. I paint them in sandal weather so as not to scare the natives. Maybe the varnish has damaged them over the years.

fatgran57 Sun 09-Feb-20 00:54:29

I am exactly the same as you MOnica - wide nails and cannot bear the feel of nails any longer than the tip of my fingers. My hair and nails grow very very fast so am always clipping my nails.

I don't like the look of painted toe or finger nails, never have done, especially on older hands.

I do wear makeup and love clothes, always shopping!

MissAdventure Sun 09-Feb-20 00:31:08

I've one little finger nail painted at the moment.

I started, and found I couldn't be bothered to carry on.

grannyactivist Sun 09-Feb-20 00:12:35

One of the lasting effects of my difficult childhood was a horrible nail biting habit, which I have only reliably conquered in the last eight to ten years. Last year, for the first time, I reached a stage where I regularly need to cut and file my nails and I get a little thrill every time I do.

I occasionally get treated to a gel manicure by my daughters, which is a real treat, but if my nails are not painted then I still have a tendency to gnaw on the surrounding skin. blush

janipat Sat 08-Feb-20 23:54:25

I lost all toenails except big toes during chemo. Fingernails were all taped down in an attempt to stop them lifting but the pain was intense. Now my fingernails are so weak just passing through the little hair that regrew is enough to split them, but my toenails are fine so they get painted in the summer (despite having ugly feet lol) If I had the beautiful nails of other gransnetters I'd be wearing scarlet every day smile

Daisyboots Sat 08-Feb-20 23:37:48

Strangely welshwife although my nuclear scans are for my bones as I have stage 4 metastatic breast cancer the first one I had I only had to remove my earrings plus my bra because of the metal hooks at the back. It was the same company in a different location. This time I had to remove all jewellery but leave my bra on. Likewise when I had radiotherapy on my spine in December all jewellery had to be removed. I can understand earrings when they radiating my upper spine but the hands were nowhere near. Even different clinics for the CT scans have different rules. This is in Portugal so most probably different compared to the NHS

MiniMoon Sat 08-Feb-20 22:24:33

I do t wear makeup or paint my nails either Esspee. I'm allergic to most makeup, and I was a nurse for most of my working life and wasn't allowed to have painted nails. I don't think I'll start now.

Bellanonna Sat 08-Feb-20 21:50:17

I love that colour Dsisyboots.

kittylester Sat 08-Feb-20 21:36:30

I always have painted toe nails but rarely finger nails.

Esspee Sat 08-Feb-20 21:25:19

I don't wear make up nor have painted nails. I do however look 10 years younger than my peers.

Pudding123 Sat 08-Feb-20 20:51:09

OPI

Pudding123 Sat 08-Feb-20 20:47:55

Always wear nail varnish on finger and toe nails,as I have got older finger nails on my right hand have gotten a bit flaky so I use PPI nail envy in clear and a pale pink which makes my nails feel much better .I tend to wear a bright pink or coral on my toes

Welshwife Sat 08-Feb-20 20:45:12

I didn’t lose my nails during chemo but they broke very easily and had a tendency to be flakey. I don’t remove my ring for nuclear scans but they are not looking at my bones or hands.

Callistemon Sat 08-Feb-20 19:52:29

Such nice nails everyone!

I have just filed one down which was longer than the others having read your post SirChenjin!! grin

MerylStreep Sat 08-Feb-20 19:24:18

grannyrebel
Thank you.

Daisyboots Sat 08-Feb-20 19:01:59

I always have gel varnish on my toe and finger nails. As Dragonfly says it stops you losing your nails during chemotherapy. Last year during chemo my nails were fine and they didnt lift or come off during treatment. I keep them quite short at the moment but I am lucky I have quite long nailbeds. Just realised looking at the photo that I haven't put my rings back on after my nuclear bone scan. Better delve into my handbag for them.