Gransnet forums

Chat

Natural nails or painted

(58 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Sat 08-Feb-20 09:01:26

Are you like me. Gransnetters, I do love to have both fingernails and toe nails painted, regardless whether it’s sandal weather and my feet will be on display.

rafichagran Sat 08-Feb-20 09:05:35

I love having my toenails done in any weather. I do my fingernails myself. I just file them and put one natural coat of varnish on them.

Harris27 Sat 08-Feb-20 09:06:08

I find it very therapeutic painting my nails. I still work and try to look nicely manicured and tidy. I only paint toenails in summer. I always think back to my youth and a new bottle of nail polish cheered me up no end!

GrannyGravy13 Sat 08-Feb-20 09:13:01

Always have toenails and fingernails painted, I cannot imagine going "bare".

lemongrove Sat 08-Feb-20 09:16:44

Me too, I think it protects the nails too, especially as I always forget to wear marigolds to wash up.
Harris smile a new bottle of nail varnish still cheers me up no end ( or a new lipstick.)

lemongrove Sat 08-Feb-20 09:18:39

My latest favourite is a Rimmel one, so nice and cheap, called Rain Go Away.A sort of grey/taupe colour that stays on for ages without chipping.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 08-Feb-20 09:32:07

This is my favourite at the moment its called Bare Necessities.

MacCavity2 Sat 08-Feb-20 09:39:38

Only ever used the ‘ordinary’ nail varnish, is the Gel type from Rommel difficult to remove?

obag Sat 08-Feb-20 09:40:07

GrannyGravy13 That is a lovely colour who makes it Please.

henetha Sat 08-Feb-20 09:41:40

Both, sometimes painted, sometimes not. I like Barry M's "Under the Sea" shades. Subtle and irridescent.

DillytheGardener Sat 08-Feb-20 09:43:47

I used to paint myself but now I get a gel mani/pedi. Looks so much nicer than than painting my own nails, I could never get one hand to look as good as the other. grannygravy that’s a very pretty colour, I’ve had red nails for a while I might swap to a more royal nude like yours next time!!

Bellanonna Sat 08-Feb-20 09:50:16

MacCavity, you can buy gel polish remover now too.

MacCavity2 Sat 08-Feb-20 09:58:08

Thank you Bellanonna will look for it.

SirChenjin Sat 08-Feb-20 10:04:38

GrannyGravy13 - that’s a lovely colour - who makes it? Is it a standard varnish or do you have to set it under a lamp?

In the wintertime when my toes aren’t on display my fingernails are either clear polish or a very dark colour - my favourite is a very dark gunmetal grey. In the summertime when I wear sandals my toenails are either red or a bright pink and my nails are clear. I just do them myself, I’m not a fan of these thick gel nails, especially the pointy shaped ones with glitter iykwim?

BBbevan Sat 08-Feb-20 10:07:44

I always paint my toenails in summer. I know this may sound silly, but if I have nail varnish on my fingernails my fingers feel heavy. So I don’t wear it on fingers.

Pantglas2 Sat 08-Feb-20 10:11:55

Must admit in winter although I do give myself a pedicure every month, I don’t bother painting toenails. However once it’s sandal weather, usually March if I’m in Spain, I treat myself to a brand new polish.

Unfortunately my fingernails are an absolute disgrace - I use them as tools, cleaning & fixing things because I’m too lazy to go and fetch the proper item! If I’m going to a posh do, I’ll paint them but it’s more to hide than enhance!

Callistemon Sat 08-Feb-20 10:20:38

Toenails bare in the winter but I paint them comemsandalmweather.
I usually wear a clear nail nurse varnish on my fingernails as they split and break easily. Mine are rather a disgrace too, Pantglas.
In fact they need doing at the moment so I must put them on the list for today or tomorrow.

Callistemon Sat 08-Feb-20 10:21:27

confused
That should say 'come sandal weather'!

Tangerine Sat 08-Feb-20 10:24:27

I wear nail varnish all the time on my fingernails. Not usually a dark colour although I would use a more vibrant shade if going somewhere special.

During the Summer months, toenails get painted but with a pale colour.

GrandmaMoira Sat 08-Feb-20 10:50:32

When I was younger I painted both finger and toe nails but, since having asthma, I've become allergic to the remover. The nail varnish isn't much better.

NanTheWiser Sat 08-Feb-20 17:04:23

Ooh, I do like a good nail polish! I wear it on fingernails all the time, partly as a protection, toenails only in summer.
This is my most recent buy - a rather gaudy purple shimmer from Barry M, called Kingdom come. It's been on 10 days now, (as can be seen by the re growth) and will come off tonight. I prefer deep pinks and reds, shimmery if possible.
(It's very difficult taking a pic one-handed with the iPad!)

ExD1938 Sat 08-Feb-20 17:09:05

I'm sorry to say this, but when I look at a set of painted nails I can't help wondering what they're hiding. Are the nails underneath completely clean or is there a garden-full of soil under there?
Sorry - clean and bare for me, well trimmed and natural.

dragonfly46 Sat 08-Feb-20 17:11:39

I am at the moment wearing black on my toes and purple on my fingers. Apparently dark nail varnish protects the nails during chemo.

Maggiemaybe Sat 08-Feb-20 17:15:06

Oh dear, when I worked I used to paint my nails several times a week, in front of the telly of an evening, so that they matched my outfits. Now that I'm retired, with loads of free time, I rarely get round to it, though I do keep them well-shaped and clean. I have about 40 different nail varnishes to choose from as well.

Perhaps this thread will spur me on to start using them again. smile

MerylStreep Sat 08-Feb-20 17:17:38

ExD1938
How rude.
I always have both painted. And they are perfectly clean.
The usual colour.