Gransnet forums

Chat

What two things would you like---

(77 Posts)
chicken Sat 08-Feb-20 15:49:24

What two things in your house would you like your children to cherish after you die?

I was looking around and thinking that my children will probably put most of my stuff on (A) Freecycle, (B) a bonfire or (C) the tip, but there are a few things that I hope they will treasure.

The first is a big, beautiful cherrywood rocking horse. An aunt left me a small legacy and, rather than fritter it away, I bought Arabella. The GSs rode it, some timidly, one to the point where the stand left the ground. The GDs spent hours braiding the mane and tail and decorating them with ribbons and hair bobbles. I hope that one of them will cherish her and pass her down the family.

The other is a Minton china magpie on a tree stump, beak and wingtip broken and inexpertly mended, not because it has any cash value but because it carries so many memories of my Mother's early life. She was brought up in an orphanage, put into domestic service against her will and, because her hand had been damaged in the orphanage leaving it clumsy, she broke the ornament belonging to her employer when she was dusting. He was furious and ordered her to throw it away, but she sneaked it up to her room, glued it together and treasured it all her life, as do I. I hope one of my children will pass the story on with the magpie.

Greymar Tue 11-Feb-20 21:34:57

I am estranged from my sibling. It's desperately sad. He will get house and contents. Dreading it.

cas58 Tue 11-Feb-20 18:15:16

I have a Royal Doulton figurine, Harmony, from 1979 that isn't made anymore. It was given to me by my first husband, who I like to call High School Husband. Not my son's dad. I'd like my son to keep that. Also, one thing I've put in my will is I'm not to be buried/cremated with any jewellery. He can do what he wants with it, not of much value, but keep it, sell it, give it away. Don't waste it in the ground!

Flossieflyby Sun 09-Feb-20 23:55:16

Just cherish their siblings - stuff is just stuff.

Jess20 Sun 09-Feb-20 22:35:44

My dog and the photo albums

sodapop Sun 09-Feb-20 21:59:59

No I'm not really interested in stuff, just hope they make sure my dogs are ok.

Trudy1925 Sun 09-Feb-20 20:43:15

@Jane 1956 I could have written your post. My sons do not get on either (chalk&cheese both much beloved) which saddens me very much, but I hold out hope that they will find comfort in each other when I’ve gone - if only to fondly remember my terrible cooking!

Blondiescot Sun 09-Feb-20 20:12:44

I'm not sure there's much mine would want. They already joke that there won't be any photos of me as I hate having my photo taken. And I'm not joking. We have lots of family photos but I'm in none of them.

etheltbags1 Sun 09-Feb-20 19:55:34

Just my cats

Jillybird Sun 09-Feb-20 19:38:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TwiceAsNice Sun 09-Feb-20 18:26:06

I would like my daughters to keep the box of keepsakes relating to their dead brother who died when they were children also including a treatment diary I wrote when he was having his leukaemia treatment. He had a bone marrow transplant which was revolutionary at the time and it was given to the medical staff of his local hospital and was used as a training manual for medical staff . It listed his treatment and drug regime and our feelings around the whole two month process. I was proud it helped other families and was a legacy for my sons memory.

I have also kept diaries of my granddaughters since their birth and hope they would like to read them when they are older

Nanny41 Sun 09-Feb-20 17:55:59

I have a photo of my Grandfather taken after the WW1 also a letter from the King after Grandfathers in prisonement I treasure these things, as my Mum did,I truly hope my Children treasure these as much.I am sure they will,its an honour to have them,thinking my Grandfather contributed to his great great grandchildren being here today. Love you Granddad.

Saggi Sun 09-Feb-20 17:33:31

My books ....and I hope they read them!

chicken Sun 09-Feb-20 17:26:16

What wonderful replies to my post. Thankyou all. Musicgirl--I understand your attachment to the Broadwood piano as I had one of the same vintage until last year. It was bought at an auction at a large house in the '30s by my parents and I learned to play on it ( very badly), then my daughter learned on it and is now a piano teacher. Sadly , it had to go as she now has a grand piano and no room , but it went to a young girl who is a keen pianist, so that is a consolation.

I remembered another thing that needs cherishing---my Granny's aspidistra. It must be about 100 years old by now---not bad for a plant!

Destin Sun 09-Feb-20 15:35:35

I would like our two grown up children to keep (and hopefully cherish) two small white fine china figurines of babies - one called ‘headache’ and one called ‘tummy ache’ that my husband bought in the early 70’s when he was on a business trip in Germany. These finely crafted little characters carried some significance to us at that time in our young family life!

allule Sun 09-Feb-20 15:11:18

I feel quite pleased that our family will feel able to get rid of all the rubbish that I don't use, or particularly like, but feel I should keep because my mother valued it, or my father made it, or it always meant a lot to someone or other.
I can't throw it all away, but with no memories attached, I'm sure they will find it very easy!

Chardy Sun 09-Feb-20 13:39:19

Sorry to hear of your burglary Sara.

Phloembundle Sun 09-Feb-20 13:33:31

Nothing. My son has no interest whatsoever in"things".

Lilyflower Sun 09-Feb-20 13:18:13

My DH has a family oak grandfather clock, two beautiful mantel clocks his grandfather made and a barometer and I have my mother's engagement and wedding rings. Nothing is of huge value but there is a sentimental value in handing things down which were given by antecedents.

Humbertbear Sun 09-Feb-20 12:42:56

A framed print of a painting of a sad lady in a bar which I was given when I was 11 years old and it has always been on my bedroom wall, wherever that bedroom has been been. I know my daughter will look after the small Harrods teddy bear that has been my travelling companion for the last 25 years.

M0nica Sun 09-Feb-20 12:35:46

It has been done! When DC were in their mid teens there were a run of family bereavements that left DH and I clearing three homes in quick succession. In each case much of the furniture was rehomed in the family as was mainly nice 19th century pieces. DC dealt with this sudden loss of close family and seeing their homes dismantled by walking round our family home working out what they would want if our house was being cleared. And they have continued to do it, except DGC are now involved and DGD has her eye on the beautiful Chinese carved sewing table/box I inherited from my mother.

I did suggest to DC that as they live some distance from us, when we die they just remove private papers and family photographs and get in house clearers. We will be dead, we won't know. They were actually quite horrified at the thought saying that gently disposing of the home and its contents is part of the mourning process. To be honest that is what I feel as well.

luluaugust Sun 09-Feb-20 12:34:17

A blanket box bought by my Great Gran, it was old then, and passed down the female line, not sure who will have the room for it and a pair of earrings bought for me by my parents, the only piece of jewellery they gave me.

Linda369 Sun 09-Feb-20 12:32:33

I would like my grandchildren to cherish their Freedom of movement...............oh

Musicgirl Sun 09-Feb-20 12:24:35

My musical instruments, particularly the family piano, which is a Broadwood Cottage Upright bought for my grandfather as a small boy just before WW1 to learn on. It is in very good condition because it has been cherished by the family for over 100 years and was the gold standard piano of its day. It is the instrument l learned on and will always have a special place in. my heart. It is too fragile for me to use for teaching so I have another good instrument for this that I hope my offspring will also treasure.

soop Sun 09-Feb-20 12:24:10

chicken I especially like the story of the precious magpie ornament.
My son made a strange looking pencil pot for me when he was a schoolboy. I have stuck a note on the base. I would want it to be used for many more years to come. He also wrote a diary when he was at boarding school. Although it is scruffy, it is of great sentimental value. So...he'd better inherit both and be glad of it. wink

Annaram1 Sun 09-Feb-20 12:13:23

Bluebird, yours is a sad and beautiful story. I think personally that I would speak to my daughter and ask what she would do, and if necessary scatter your son's ashes somewhere yourself.

I have some jewellery which I bought when my husband passed away, which I hope my female descendants might like. I imagine them all sitting around my jewellery boxes taking it in turns to select items.
And of course my photo albums.