Gransnet forums

Chat

Am I odd because I don't much enjoy holidays?

(107 Posts)
Framilode Sat 08-Feb-20 18:02:31

Is there anyone else like me? I go on holiday because my husband loves travelling but I always feel a little stressed the whole time I am away. What I really like is being at home in my own space. We have been to some wonderful countries but, left to myself, I wouldn't go on holiday.

Hetty58 Sun 09-Feb-20 22:52:01

One of my daughters went on a school trip to France in her first year at High school.

At the coach station, on the way back, they were told to visit the loo if they needed to. When she got back the coach was gone.

She sat and waited, hoping they'd notice that they'd left her behind - before they got all the way back to England.

'Were you scared?' I asked. 'I was a bit worried I'd get very hungry and I can't speak French' she said! (I would have been hysterical myself.) Half an hour later, they returned.

Callistemon Sun 09-Feb-20 23:03:09

shock

I thought they counted them all out and counted them back in again.
However, I do remember when one of our ladies' group got left behind after a trip.
They always read out the names now.

Summerfly Sun 09-Feb-20 23:44:03

I used to love holidays abroad during the winter.Nothing nicer than feeling the sun on my back knowing how cold it was at home! Alas my bikini days are well and truly over ? and like many of you, holidays don’t appeal to me anymore. A very occasional weekend away in a nice hotel is enough for me now or a cottage by the sea.

Hetty58 Mon 10-Feb-20 00:07:12

Callistemon, they did indeed count them - which is a real worry!

GagaJo Sat 15-Feb-20 10:22:52

I hate holidays and travel. I dislike the concern of staying somewhere where the accommodation may not be as advertised. Damp beds in Greece spring to mind, from a holiday over 20 years ago. I am also petrified of flying and hate the stress and disruption of travel.

However. I love exploring other cultures. Which means I mostly enjoy working overseas (as I will do now until I retire). Once the trauma of travel is over, I love getting to know a place, and becoming 'a local'.

Photograph is from my recent train journey around lake Geneva.

love0c Mon 02-Mar-20 09:27:40

Had a brilliant week even though I was a bit panicky beforehand. Enjoyed it so much we are now going on another holiday, just a week again. In my case I obviously just needed to make myself 'go'. I feel so much better than I did a few weeks ago. To other people who would like to go on holiday but feel fear, my advice is 'fight your fear'. You could be feeling so much better after your holiday.