Gransnet forums

Chat

Am I odd because I don't much enjoy holidays?

(106 Posts)
BlueBelle Sat 08-Feb-20 18:14:32

I used to love going away and travelling but now I m just like you and after a few days I m raring to get home and back to normal

anniezzz09 Sat 08-Feb-20 18:13:52

I don't think you're odd Framilode but there's nowt so strange as folk as they say. How different we all are. I love travelling but my husband hates it, he'd be happy never to leave home at all.

I suppose the answer, as is often said on GN threads, is for couples to holiday separately if they have different tastes but not many do that. I wonder why.

ExD1938 Sat 08-Feb-20 18:13:24

No you're not odd at all. My DH doesn't like holidays, so he doesn't take them.
I love holidays, so I go alone - really on my own, and I go everywhere. Just once a year I save up and take off to the sun for a week (only a week because I do feel guilty in leaving him) but it does us both a world of good. I've been to Paris, the States, Oz, Roumania, Morocco - to name the ones that I can recall off the cuff.
I am now 81 years old and finding travel insurance difficult and expensive - but I pay up and carry on.

I won't get on my soapbox re single supplements !!!!

lemongrove Sat 08-Feb-20 18:08:47

Almost like you, I like the thought of a holiday but as it comes nearer, the thought of all the packing and going to the airport etc puts me off.Once we actually set off though am ok and always enjoy the holiday, but really a week is enough, but DH likes two weeks away, so we often settle on ten days ( not as good as seven!)I always look forward to going home again.
We go abroad more rarely now than we used to and if we didn’t have an actual holiday ( as opposed to a few days here and there with friends) I wouldn’t worry at all.

Kandinsky Sat 08-Feb-20 18:05:30

I’m exactly the same.
I’d rather be sitting in my garden with a nice cup of tea.

Framilode Sat 08-Feb-20 18:02:31

Is there anyone else like me? I go on holiday because my husband loves travelling but I always feel a little stressed the whole time I am away. What I really like is being at home in my own space. We have been to some wonderful countries but, left to myself, I wouldn't go on holiday.