Gransnet forums

Chat

Special Gifts

(93 Posts)
Teetime Mon 10-Feb-20 08:54:59

As a child at home and at Sunday School I was taught that everyone has a special gift and it would eventually show up in your life. I'm still waiting for mine - has anyone got a special gift they can tell us about. I dont mean family/children but a characteristic or skill of your own.

soldiersailor Mon 10-Feb-20 11:14:17

Well, I'm quite good with making curries, I've sold a few paintings in the past and lastly, which is decidedly odd for me as someone who has no belief in the paranormal, I'm not bad at water divining which I learnt from a book some 40 years ago.

Chicklette Mon 10-Feb-20 11:14:27

Hmmm... My DDs, SIL and DGC like quite a few of my staple dinners and SIL says DD just can’t make them taste the same, even using the same ingredients. But I think my best gift is forgiveness. Something I didn’t learn until my 30s, but has stood me in good stead over the years. It’s a gift I can give to those I love, but it’s also a gift to me as I don’t need to hold onto grudges.

Brigidsdaughter Mon 10-Feb-20 11:20:39

Gosh justawannabe I'm envious. I love interiors. Know what I like but hopeless doing my own place!

MadeInYorkshire Mon 10-Feb-20 11:24:50

I was absolutely delighted to have just got a car with an automatic parking function, and a myriad of other 'techy' things ....

I was so pleased first time I used it, it was a bit scary but far better than I can do (I ether do it first time or fail miserably!) BUT since then I haven't been able to get it to work at all! I even read the manual! I can use the satnav, but I can't get the sound on it - the car is so bloody technical I can't use it!

Sadly I will have to go to the garage and be totally embarrassed when I tell them I need help!

I am good at a few things, or was before I got ill, but nowadays can't manage much. I wish I had done property and interior design sort of stuff as everyone says that 'I have an eye for it'.

My daughter with the severe MH issues though has some peculiar traits - she works with prestigious racehorses - there are around 200 of them on the yard and she only has to meet them once and will know their Dams Name, Sires name, their own name if they have one yet, which stable they are in and will recognise them if they are out of their stable! Most people on the yard now go to ask her where the horse they are looking for is, as otherwise it can take them ages to find it, as to them it is a 'brown horse'!! I sometimes wonder if maybe she has Aspergers traits - she could also learn lines easily for drama ....

Rosina Mon 10-Feb-20 11:27:34

I have nothing in the way of talents - a close relative and I, similarly 'unblessed', decided that we were put on this earth to make other people feel good. Our astounded cries of 'Oh! Did you really make/do that yourself?' must have made so many people glow with pride. Perhaps that is our family talent!

Lizbethann55 Mon 10-Feb-20 11:38:10

I often wonder about this. I don't want to sound pathetic, but really don't think I have one. My husband, children and DGCs (only babies) love me. But children love even abusive , useless parents and some spouses stay with violent partners. I can say I am none of those! My daughter who has just had a miscarriage and is in a really bad place , says I always say the right thing and know what to say to help. Does that count?

Jillybird Mon 10-Feb-20 11:43:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Oopsadaisy3 Mon 10-Feb-20 11:44:07

Friends and family say I’m a good cook, they clear their plates and then come back for more, so that the extra I made for the next days disappears. But DD2 is great at cooking and experimental, I’m just basic stuff
However, I am very, very good at getting screaming babies to sleep, anyone’s not just my families! Many grateful plane and train passengers will back me up.

grannie7 Mon 10-Feb-20 11:51:16

my only talent is for making trifles.
when my family are coming I always get a text saying don’t forget to make some trifles.
The some being so they can take them home lol.
My GC still comes in the front door straight down the hall into the kitchen to have a nose in the fridge and eat any trifle they find.They are all grown up now with their own homes but still
raid my fridge before they come and say hello as they did when small and when at school we looked after them before and after school.
They all treat our home as their own which suits us as we are glad they are so relaxed and comfortable at their Grannie and Gramps’s
They do I hasten to add find more to eat in my fridge besides Trifle.lol

Bbbface Mon 10-Feb-20 11:51:27

* My daughter who has just had a miscarriage and is in a really bad place , says I always say the right thing and know what to say to help. Does that count?*

Hell yes!

grannie7 Mon 10-Feb-20 11:55:54

Bbbface
Extremely good talent your daughter will be very glad.
Some people seem to say the most awful things in this situation thinking they are helping.
Hope your daughter recovers soon very sad time for you all ❤️

schnackie Mon 10-Feb-20 12:05:55

Like Phloembundle I was a nurse and found that empathy was my skill. I used to get very cross that I wasn't quick enough with tech equipment, to work in intensive care, but I was able to be provide both practical and empathetic care to hospice patients.

Marydoll Mon 10-Feb-20 12:13:26

I too can reverse well into a tight space.
The other day, I was reversing into our tight driveway, trying not to clip DHs car, when the postman called over, That was an amazing bit of driving........especially for a woman!!!!

NannyG123 Mon 10-Feb-20 12:16:21

Listening, I'm told I'm a good listener.

Maxblank Mon 10-Feb-20 12:20:38

Singing.
I can sing, and I don't mean drunken kareoke, I mean sing properly. I've.performed at church concerts, and special occasions, I was in the school choir, and several choirs n groups.

I'm also pretty nifty at DIY!

@teetime
You have a special gift, but you just don't realise it, cos you do it all the time without thinking about it.

You may not even realise it cos you were too busy looking for something different, but you have at least one.

Ask a really good friend, and they'll tell you, your special ability.

What did you do for a.living?

DanniRae Mon 10-Feb-20 12:21:59

This is a lovely thread - thanks Teetime!

Bbbface Mon 10-Feb-20 12:28:16

@ grannie7

Not me. I was quoting a previous poster

sodapop Mon 10-Feb-20 12:31:27

Bet I can make chocolate disappear more quickly than you Hert2Hart & Jillybird grin

I'm good at organising and getting people to do things. I can have an event sorted whilst others are still thinking about it. I do wish I had continued to learn piano, I had lessons when I was young but couldn't be bothered to practice. I have always regretted that.

Fennel Mon 10-Feb-20 12:47:53

Teetime I believe 100% in that theory of each person having a 'gift'.The hard part is to find out what it is. Then exploit as much as possible. The replies up to now have shown this.
At my advanced age I've been told that I have a gift for cheering people up? Hard to believe but I have to try.
I don't want to be a Pollyanna, but maybe there are worse things.

GrandmaJan Mon 10-Feb-20 12:52:20

My son lives in Scotland about 250 miles away from me and he always says on a Sunday all he can think about is my Sunday dinners and how he misses them. He also loves my home made chestnut and apricot stuffing and says it’s the best he’s ever tasted. Not sure if this counts as a special gift. I’m just being a mum really.

PernillaVanilla Mon 10-Feb-20 12:54:33

My father could park large cars in tiny spaces - he would sometimes attract an audience.My mother had the uncanny gift of being able to tell exactly how old someone was. I'm still waiting to find out what mine is.

4allweknow Mon 10-Feb-20 13:04:49

My special talent must be not bothering about not having a special talent!

JeannieB44 Mon 10-Feb-20 13:08:11

I would say mine is sewing. It is a skill I have been lucky enough to inherit. My Nan started to teach me when I was 9, I am now in my 60s. Being an odd shape I can make clothes for myself and I make my living altering clothes for others. I feel have been very fortunate.

Musicgirl Mon 10-Feb-20 13:29:11

I am a musician and my children have inherited the talent. I play and teach piano, violin and viola and feel so blessed to be able to work in the field l love most.

Theoddbird Mon 10-Feb-20 13:30:31

I discovered when in my 40s that I could sculpt. I had always looked longingly at clay when at school but never got to use it. At an art class in my 40s I saw them using clay in the next room... I enrolled the next term. This is something I produced.