Gransnet forums

Chat

Beyond belief

(81 Posts)
Luckygirl Mon 10-Feb-20 22:24:54

Many of you will know that I have just lost my husband and at the same time I am, for various reasons, selling my home and moving just a few miles down the road to where we formerly lived and where my husband is to be buried - and where all my friends are.

Buyers visited on Friday and Saturday, loved it, made a good offer. Now here is the unbelievable bit - while they were outside measuring the gateway (they have a vintage car) a man drew up in a car and told them not to buy the house and proceeded to regale them with lies about structural problems etc. I do not know who this man is and his statements are untrue.

I was gobsmacked!

I have talked with various people locally and it seems that when we bought the property 4 years ago a sale had just fallen through to a man who drastically reduced his offer at the 11th hour - the vendor told him to get on his bike, put the property straight back on the market and we bought it. I am told that this man was very angry that he got the push.

So I have to conclude that this is the man - and also that he is local. It feels really creepy to me, especially now that I am here on my own, that there is someone so unhinged and evil targeting my attempt to sell the property.

The estate agent is furious, and it looks as though the only way I can retain these buyers is by paying for a survey myself; understandably they do not want to expend money on a survey when they have already been led to believe that it might be unsatisfactory.

My finances are in bits at the moment: I have a final bill from the nursing home to pay (around £4k) ; my OH's pension has been frozen while they work out what I might get; his state pension has stopped; I have a funeral to pay for.......I am at a total loss as to what to do.

I am trying not to get angry about it as it will get me nowhere - but I truly did not need this bizarre twist of fate..

MawB Tue 11-Feb-20 09:45:26

Sorry Greymar that came out as the OPPOSITE of what I intended. I meant is good!
Please don’t anybody rush to contradict me, (flippin predictive text.)

dragonfly46 Tue 11-Feb-20 09:56:45

Lucky people never cease to amaze me. How vindictive this man must be especially knowing you have just lost your husband.

I am sure it will sort itself out but you really do not need the hassle.
As Maw says paying for a survey is not the answer. The buyers have to pay for their own.

25Avalon Tue 11-Feb-20 10:00:28

We have always had our own survey done when we have moved house so that we know exactly what we are getting in to. You could offer to pay for the survey if finds any major faults but otherwise they pay for it. Prospective buyer in your case may be angling for a price reduction after horrible man told untruths.
This is so so nasty for you especially after all you have been through.
How about speaking to someone at Citizen's Advice to find out if and what you can do about this hideous man. Just think though he is so eaten up with rage that he can't have enjoyed life for the past few years.

EthelJ Tue 11-Feb-20 10:05:39

Would it be possible just to ignore this strange incident and carry on. Leave the house on the market and if it happens again when possible buyers are there ask the man for proof. He is making unsubstantiated claims As a buyer if I loved the house I wouldn't be put off by a random strangers words. I would put an offer in then get my own survey done
It's very odd behavior.

MadeInYorkshire Tue 11-Feb-20 10:13:28

How very 'ODD' - as mentioned before, how did this man know that they were going to be there in the first place??

Either a set-up staged by the Estate Agent or the prospective buyers to get it cheaper IMO - either way, dodgy as hell1!

Ideally it is the purchasers that need to get the survey done so they know it is above board etc - but maybe you could offer to pay for it by taking it off the price if they subsequently purchase the property, OR get them to arrange it with who they want and you pay for it if possible so they know you haven't had a hand in it?

Not what you need at the moment Luckygirl, I am so sorry sad x

polnan Tue 11-Feb-20 10:13:49

sent you pm Luckygirl..

Nanny41 Tue 11-Feb-20 10:25:34

What a spiteful and vindictive man, what a dreadful thing to do.I hope things get sorted for you very soon.

Callistemon Tue 11-Feb-20 10:36:53

Oh dear, that is all you need at the moment!
I would have a word with your solicitor and would be suspicious of the estate agent's motives too. Is there another local one you could speak to - and did you get three valuations?
One local to us was suspected of dodgy dealings to bring down prices and thus sell at a reduced price to people he knew.

If anything further happens it would definitely be worth reporting it to the police.

Try not to let this upset you, have you told your DD?
flowers

harrigran Tue 11-Feb-20 11:19:41

Oh dear this is all starting to sound very familiar. I am beginning to think that the estate agent is bending over backwards for buyers in the small market town where I am trying to sell.
First viewing people agree it is immaculate and energy efficient by the time they go back to the estate agent it has become a hovel that needs so much doing to it that they offer many thousands less than asking price which is already 15% less than market value.

Nannan2 Tue 11-Feb-20 11:27:43

I would not mention the man to the buyers,or why hes done this,because it might put them off anyway as they,like you,may be worried hes 'creepy' & may be fearful of what he may do next if they do buy it.hmm

Nannan2 Tue 11-Feb-20 11:30:44

Or as others say,it may be time to get a different estate agent in- what about that purple bricks on tv?

Hetty58 Tue 11-Feb-20 11:44:20

It's mainly Purple Bricks around here now. They ask market valuation prices (not inflated ones) so sales are fast but they charge far less (as a flat fee) so in the end you get similar results. Never use their slow in-house solicitors, though, get your own.

Delila Tue 11-Feb-20 12:12:45

Do you think it's possible it was some mindless idiot's idea of a prank?

Gingergirl Tue 11-Feb-20 12:13:22

In your situation, I would try to let that go...it takes up too much energy which I’m sure you won’t have right now....just be on the estate agents case to get another buyer if need be. Regarding your other finances, they are sadly, often in chaos after a close death and those people will have to wait to be paid-they will be used to it. Let the bills roll in for a bit if need be. If there really isn’t money to pay for a funeral, there are loans to be had if you enquire. Good luck. It will smooth out financially in the end I’m sure but maybe not in the straightforward way that we always hope for.

Missfoodlove Tue 11-Feb-20 12:28:35

I have re read your post and am now wondering if this is a ploy to get a free survey.
Did you actually see this person and hear him talking to your purchasers?
If not then I would be suspicious.
Having sold 13 houses I have an expression. “ buyers are often liars”.

Callistemon Tue 11-Feb-20 12:32:12

My advice would be not to pay for their survey, Luckygirl; you are buying a new-build so there will be no forward chain so less pressure.

Oldwoman70 Tue 11-Feb-20 12:35:09

In the past we knew of agents who would arrange for a property to be sold to a friend/relative at a reduced rate and then sell it on at a profit and split the proceeds.

I would also question how the man knew you were having a viewing, has it happened when others are viewing?

sodapop Tue 11-Feb-20 12:53:19

Yes definitely some questions need answering here Luckygirl sounds like someone along the line is trying to pull a fast one. Can you get one of your family to help you sort this out. It's not what you need right now is it. Don't be pressured into making a decision you may regret. Take care.

grandtanteJE65 Tue 11-Feb-20 13:42:05

Try if you can to find out who this man is and get a solicitor to write to him,

If it isn't possible do so, leave the estate agent to show other prospective buyers the house and station yourself outside the house with a camera, so you can take a photo of him and of his car's licence plate if he turns up again.

And please do talk to the bank and to your husband's executors, the funeral expenses can definitely be paid from his estate,

grandtanteJE65 Tue 11-Feb-20 13:42:30

to do so, sorry.

Babyshark Tue 11-Feb-20 14:28:22

If he was a previous potential buyer that dropped his offer at the last minute, is it possible he had a survey at the time, hence the drop in offer and he’s actually telling the truth? Just a thought.

SueDonim Tue 11-Feb-20 14:46:55

shock. That sounds horrible, whatever the explanation might be.

I hope your buyers proceed anyway, Luckygirl.

granbabies123 Tue 11-Feb-20 15:08:47

I would have a camera ready to take photos of him incase of re -visits. Take car reg too.
I'd like to know how he knew
A. It is for sale and
B. When buyers were viewing.
Something isn't right.
So sorry to hear of your loss. I hope all gets sorted in time.

merlotgran Tue 11-Feb-20 15:30:01

This must be so infuriating and worrying for you, Luckygirl

The next time you show somebody around or if the prospective buyers return make sure you have your mobile phone with you.

If the man in the car turns up again take a photo of him and his car - make sure you get the reg and tell him that if he harasses you further you will e-mail the car details to the police - then send him on his way.

I'd would then let the police know anyway.

merlotgran Tue 11-Feb-20 15:31:40

X post granbaby

I had to answer the phone before pressing post. grin