Gransnet forums

Chat

Beyond belief

(81 Posts)
Luckygirl Mon 10-Feb-20 22:24:54

Many of you will know that I have just lost my husband and at the same time I am, for various reasons, selling my home and moving just a few miles down the road to where we formerly lived and where my husband is to be buried - and where all my friends are.

Buyers visited on Friday and Saturday, loved it, made a good offer. Now here is the unbelievable bit - while they were outside measuring the gateway (they have a vintage car) a man drew up in a car and told them not to buy the house and proceeded to regale them with lies about structural problems etc. I do not know who this man is and his statements are untrue.

I was gobsmacked!

I have talked with various people locally and it seems that when we bought the property 4 years ago a sale had just fallen through to a man who drastically reduced his offer at the 11th hour - the vendor told him to get on his bike, put the property straight back on the market and we bought it. I am told that this man was very angry that he got the push.

So I have to conclude that this is the man - and also that he is local. It feels really creepy to me, especially now that I am here on my own, that there is someone so unhinged and evil targeting my attempt to sell the property.

The estate agent is furious, and it looks as though the only way I can retain these buyers is by paying for a survey myself; understandably they do not want to expend money on a survey when they have already been led to believe that it might be unsatisfactory.

My finances are in bits at the moment: I have a final bill from the nursing home to pay (around £4k) ; my OH's pension has been frozen while they work out what I might get; his state pension has stopped; I have a funeral to pay for.......I am at a total loss as to what to do.

I am trying not to get angry about it as it will get me nowhere - but I truly did not need this bizarre twist of fate..

AllotmentLil Tue 11-Feb-20 22:27:44

I agree with Callistemon. I’m so sorry you’re having all this worry on top of everything else. flowers

Eloethan Tue 11-Feb-20 23:55:57

This man has surely made statements that were intended to - and which could - affect your financial standing. In the event that he could be identified, I wonder if it would be possible to get a solicitor to send him a letter warning him that you will consider suing for damages if he continues to make false statements. You could then show the letter to any prospective purchasers, should a similar incident occur. It may not be legally possible or advisable but it might be worth speaking to a solicitor about it.

I also agree that disclosing the survey report you obtained when you bought the house might be useful, provided it was a full structural report.

Txquiltz Wed 12-Feb-20 07:07:42

You might try a bit of subterfuge. Arrange a "look alike" scenario, preferably on a weekend. Have friends put on a performance of measuring, etc. as if they are perspective buyers. Don't use familiar neighbors,etc. If Mr. Evil shows up again, assign someone to get his license plate number, and if possible, follow from a distance to see where he lives. Then notify your local police and a solicitor about tortous interference.

Iam64 Wed 12-Feb-20 08:03:27

What a terrible thing to do, horrible for you. Can't add to the advice here, yes, solicitor and police x

Hetty58 Wed 12-Feb-20 08:12:40

Luckygirl, I'm glad to hear that you won't be messed about. You're being very sensible. Stay strong.

I'm hopping mad with whoever is trying to take advantage at such a traumatic time.

It's just not worth tracking down or confronting the mystery chap as you have quite enough to deal with atm.