Gransnet forums

Chat

Divorced.Remarried.o r still with your first love

(83 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Tue 11-Feb-20 08:23:19

Having a conversation with some friends last week, we were discussing how many of us have been divorced, we are four friends in our fifties and sixties, all four of us have remarried, one friend on her third marriage, not one of us could think of any other friends that were still with their first loves,

anna7 Tue 11-Feb-20 21:51:11

Married at 19 and still going strong 44 years later. Some friends are divorced but most are not. Funnily enough, those friends (and family) who are still married to their first husbands tend to be the couples who married very young.

SalsaQueen Tue 11-Feb-20 21:32:10

I met my husband in 1978, when I was 18, he was 19. We've been married 40 years this May.

Urmstongran Tue 11-Feb-20 21:28:45

First love.
I was 16y and he was 19y. Married at 20y in 1974.
He had long hair and sideburns.
Platform shoes.
When the fashion changed we were the same height! 5’8”.
?
46y married this year.
He is witty and makes me laugh.
My mum used to say ‘he could make a cat laugh’.
Makes me smile when I think of her saying that.
I can’t believe how old we look to one another now.
I used to be under 9st.
There’s 50% more to appreciate these days!
They say opposites attract. I think that’s true. Yin & yang.

Maggymay Tue 11-Feb-20 21:03:06

DH was my first love met when I was 16 and he was 17, we will celebrate our Golden wedding anniversary next year.

NanaandGrampy Tue 11-Feb-20 20:22:57

I married at 19 and we are still going well 44 years later.

Witzend Tue 11-Feb-20 20:15:54

@Monica, in the 1970s I was an ‘elderly primigravida’ too, first baby at 28, married at 25.
We’d first met when I was 19 though.
45th anniversary last year.
He’s not a bad old bugger - I’m hanging on to him!

Dancinjay Tue 11-Feb-20 19:53:33

Married at 17 and still together, I'll be 65 this year. We've had our ups and downs, but on the whole not bad .... Wouldn't change him smile

JuliaM Tue 11-Feb-20 19:44:46

Married at 19 to escape an unhappy situation at home, far too soon and to the first man who asked. I have three children with him, but he was a serial cheat and womaniser, we divorced 10 years later. We split up in the July, by Halloween l had met my second husband, by Christmas we were engaged, and the following February we were Married. All my friends and family thought l was crazy, but we are now still together 34years and two more Daughters later, and have had a very happy life.

NanKate Tue 11-Feb-20 19:36:34

Not my first love. I was warned by my parents not to marry my DH but we’ve proved them all wrong and coming up for 49 years this October. ?

janeainsworth Tue 11-Feb-20 19:28:34

Not my first boyfriend, but celebrating our Golden Wedding this year smile

Grandmaof2 Tue 11-Feb-20 19:19:31

Been going through divorce for nearly 2 years now. Be glad when its finally over, was with him for 12 years. Just want to get on with my life and move on to better things as its been at a standstill for the past 5 years since we split

Scentia Tue 11-Feb-20 18:46:51

Still with my first love, in fact my first kiss was from him too. I have never kissed another man properly or slept with another man. 30 years married and counting

rafichagran Tue 11-Feb-20 18:46:34

Married Divorced, in long term relationship with my now partner. We will not marry.

Curlywhirly Tue 11-Feb-20 18:43:48

Met DH when we were both 16, married at 20. First son born 9 years later, followed 3 years later by second son. Only one of our group of friends is divorced, all the others have been married 40 years and over. We have had our ups and downs - we are very different personalities and can drive each other mad - but we have the same beliefs and do have lots in common. He's been my rock, and the first person our children turn to with any problems (well, that's practical problems; any emotional problems, then it's me they ring!).

Cherrytree59 Tue 11-Feb-20 18:35:04

Love at first sight ?
39 years in October.
2 children.
3 grandchildren

Hoping to follow in my both sets of grandparents in a long happy marriages ?

chrissyh Tue 11-Feb-20 18:34:19

I married my first love and we celebrate our Golden Wedding in April. We were both just 22. MOnica remarked on how young a lot of us were, which I think was because not many couples lived together before they were married. I was married for 10 years before having our first baby (my choice) which was certainly right for us. I love him even more now than I did then.

Lins1066 Tue 11-Feb-20 18:33:14

Married my first love when I was 22 and he was 26, that was in 1977. We married in church and are still happily married, 43 years in July. Two children, one is married - just, about to be divorced. Parents in law were married for 71 years, they died last year. We have had ups and downs over the years and latterly illness, we have survived. He has always been my best friend, apart from loving him, I like him - not his smelly socks though. ?
Nearly all our friends are still married, one of DH's cousins divorced and remarried years ago, second marriage was very happy until she sadly passed away.

BBbevan Tue 11-Feb-20 18:14:55

55 years and counting .Met DH at art school. ❤️❤️

M0nica Tue 11-Feb-20 18:05:30

Reading how young so many of you were when you married reminds me of how young people did get married in the 1960s and 70s. I married at 24 and had my first child at 28 and was considered an 'elderly' prima gravida.

How things have changed DS married at 31, his wife was 34, her first marriage as well and she had her first child when she was 37 and the medical authorities didn't bat an eyelid. She was, after all, under 40.

Sara65 Tue 11-Feb-20 17:59:06

Quite a few of our friends have divorced, but usually after a couple of years or so, in our circle second marriages seems to do better.

callgirl1 Tue 11-Feb-20 17:54:59

Not my first love. We married in 1963 when I was 20 and he was 19. We were married for just over 53 years when he died over 3 years ago. Don`t want to marry again. Out of our 5 children, 4 have been married, 3 have divorced and married again.

Roses Tue 11-Feb-20 13:41:57

Met my DH at sixteen married him when I was twenty one .
We had two wonderful children who were still young when DH became really ill .I nursed him for fourteen years , and he died twenty years ago.
I have never wanted another relationship as I couldn't cope with being a carer again as it really took its toll on me

glammanana Tue 11-Feb-20 13:33:23

I married young at 19 and divorced by 22 such a huge mistake but we stayed friendly over the years,remarried my lovely husband when I was 26 and sadly he has recently died after 44yrs of marriage he was my rock and a wonderful man in everything he did for me and our family.

Nortsat46 Tue 11-Feb-20 13:30:04

With my partner for 44 years, he was my first ‘proper’ boyfriend.
We got married in 2014, post my diagnosis of uterine cancer.

Our lives are not ‘picture perfect’ but we’re still happy. ?

crazyH Tue 11-Feb-20 13:21:49

Divorced.....congratulations to all those who have long marriages - well done !!!