Gransnet forums

Chat

Distraught at Empty Nest

(30 Posts)
Candy6 Tue 11-Feb-20 10:10:24

Hello ladies I’m so glad I found this forum as I would really like some advice from someone who has been through what I am going through now. Basically, my lovely son left home last August to live some 250 miles away and I’m absolutely devastated. Just a bit of background, I have been through a lot with him as he has been ill for the last 15 years with a chronic condition. It’s been absolute hell but of course I’m pleased that he’s now well enough to start his life (at 28). He texts me every morning and FaceTimes every evening, but I just can’t get over my devastation that he’s no longer here. It’s causing me a lot of anxiety and panic attacks. I had a particularly bad night last night and can’t even think about him without breaking down. I also go through such a bad time when he comes home and goes back - it’s even got to the stage where I no longer look forward to him coming home as I know I will go through hell when he goes back. What is wrong with me? I’m so scared. I should really think myself lucky as I have my husband ( who I have a good relationship with) and my daughter and her family living less than 10 minutes away. But none of this matters as I want my son. I’m trying to get on with things and have a job interview this week but I can have a really good, busy day and then I come home and it all starts. I just hate the fact that it’s just me and my husband. I’m seeing a counsellor who is really good - she seems to think I’m suffering from a trauma response. I’m so sad and I just want to be happy and enjoy my life again. I hope someone can empathise with this and apologies for the long post.

endlessstrife Wed 12-Feb-20 16:58:42

It’s probably been harder for you because you’ve helped your son through his illness. You may need a bit more time than you would have if he’d left under more normal circumstances, but it will get better. They never stop being your children, and I’m sure you’ll have lots of good times ahead. Just give it time. All the best for your interview, hope it goes well?

V3ra Wed 12-Feb-20 20:02:27

Candy6 do you have a pet, if not do you think it might help to have one, maybe a rescue animal, as another focus for your caring nature?
As far as the daily texts etc go, I read that as something your son chooses to do rather than something he feels he has to do. It's a big thing for him to have overcome years of illness and leave home, and as much as it's a great success for all of you he must miss you and value your conversations.

JR007 Sun 25-Apr-21 02:23:59

I am currently going through the same process. My son is almost 200 miles away and I have loved having him home over lockdown. But when he goes back to his flat I feel sick inside, can’t sleep and cry a lot. I am so proud of the man he has become but feel so empty when he is not around to the
Point that it is effecting my life and work. And as you say when he visits I or I go over to see him am dreading the point when have to say good bye. I hope are finding things better

nanna8 Sun 25-Apr-21 03:09:54

It is hard though I did have a certain sense of relief when our last one left home. The one that really upset me was daughter number 3 who left very young to go and live with an older man in the uk. We felt she was making a huge mistake but she married him and eventually they came back to live in Australia. I still think it was a mistake and her life has been difficult to say the least but you can’t say anything. I wept over her though she will never know it.
All I can say is find lots of things to do and reach out to people be it voluntary groups, work, hobby groups or whatever. That works, believe me, though it is hard at first to make a move.