Gransnet forums

Chat

Caroline Flack Dead

(343 Posts)
tickingbird Sat 15-Feb-20 17:49:38

I have just read this online and I’m very shocked. I can’t say I know much about her but watched Love Island last year. I know she’s been charged with assaulting her boyfriend but he was standing by her.

I just think it’s very sad.

TerriBull Sun 16-Feb-20 09:08:29

I'm very sorry she took her own life. I read about the "lamp throwing debacle", only her and her partner can know what happened, allegedly there was a lot of blood after the incident and although he denies he was assaulted, he was, I believe, treated in hospital in the aftermath. Controversy does surround her and previous problematic relationships and she appeared to live her life on the edge. Nevertheless if it had been the other way round, and it was a male celebrity accused of assaulting his female partner, would there be such an outpouring of what we have now come to expect in such circumstances tedious "Twitter grief".

Once again I am sorry that she took this decision and for her family.

Galaxy Sun 16-Feb-20 09:11:00

I think it would be helpful to separate the issue from the person if you know what I mean. Its important to talk about domestic violence, or drink driving, or surrogacy. Perhaps it's the personalisation that is the issue.

Sparkling Sun 16-Feb-20 09:12:03

She was beautiful on Strictly, never watched any of her other shows, not my thing. Totally against the concept of Love Island and such programmes, but my grandchildren love and watch them. It's a fantasy world they are chasing.
My sincere condolences to her family and her friends, it is heartbreaking for a beautiful talented woman to be so broken.
God bless her.

suziewoozie Sun 16-Feb-20 09:13:27

TerriBull good post. Paramedics were called to the scene btw Of course any suicide is sad. But the coverage of this is beyond acceptable. It’s the lead story on BH fgs and still going string 14 minutes later.

suziewoozie Sun 16-Feb-20 09:13:46

Strong

suziewoozie Sun 16-Feb-20 09:14:39

I think that’s a tall order Galaxy

suziewoozie Sun 16-Feb-20 09:18:13

Sparkling I really think it’s harmful for young ( and not so young) people to watch programmes like Love Island. There’s much more healthy fantasy and dreams to be chasing. It is an utterly utterly vile programme based on the dehumanisation and objectification of people.

Yehbutnobut Sun 16-Feb-20 09:28:22

This is tragic.

Iam64 Sun 16-Feb-20 09:37:26

I suppose I shouldn't comment about Love Island as it isn't something I'd choose to watch. Have you watched it sooziewoozie? Your comment about it being an utterly vile programme fit with my prejudice about these kind of shows. However, last time my hair was cut, the young women (all around early 30's) were talking about LI and clearly enjoying it lots. These are an interesting group of young entrepreneurs, some of them I've know from high school age. They work hard, are supportive of each other, love their families, are building successful businesses so -a group to like and admire. I haven't changed my view of programmes like Love Island, I don't like reality tv anyway. It all seems designed to humiliate and entertain in a base way.
There!

Urmstongran Sun 16-Feb-20 10:01:10

Being ‘PC’ here for a moment.....

Why do we still say someone ‘committed’ suicide? It’s no longer a ‘crime’ as it was in the past. Has ‘taken their own life’ is surely more appropriate?

oldgimmer1 Sun 16-Feb-20 10:07:39

urmstongran I understand that the current term is "completed suicide" not "committed".

Harris27 Sun 16-Feb-20 10:10:48

It’s just a sad world interesting reading some of the comment. I feel I read comments with good advice on gransnet the not so nice ones I ignore. I don’t really do the political threads on here and enjoy gransnet as I feel it helps me through some tough times especially when my mum died and the coomme

Harris27 Sun 16-Feb-20 10:11:47

Sorry that went without me pressing it! Yes as I was saying you have helped me and I will continue to read the threads and ignore the not so nice ones.

Buttonjugs Sun 16-Feb-20 10:14:05

My son and I loved her. We have watched her on everything since Bo Selecta except for Love Island. We watched her recording a game show with Vernon Kay. I haven’t been this upset about a celebrity death since Princess Diana. I am going to miss her unique laugh and bubbly personality. Social media has a lot to answer to.

suziewoozie Sun 16-Feb-20 10:19:30

Yes Iam I have watched it once as I try to keep up with popular culture to see where it’s heading. My lovely hairdresser watches it - none of that makes it acceptable does it ? Or take away responsibility from producers and presenters for what they put on our screens. And damage as I’m sure you know can be slow burning and invidious.

ReadyMeals Sun 16-Feb-20 10:20:27

Very sad and tragic. I never watched her shows as it's not my sort of thing but I am aware how much loved she was by many viewers as well as her family and friends.

Separately however, I also think the CPS had done no wrong. Firstly they could not know how near the edge she was - no one did not even the friend who was staying with her.

The police policy changed some time ago in response to women withdrawing their allegations under pressure from the abuser, or even just because they were blinded by love. Now the police charge if they can see physical evidence even if the original accuser tries to withdraw the claim.

Then the next policy change was because it came to light that many men were also abused by women, so they changed their handling of it to make it fairer.

In fact Caroline probably didn't need to fear the outcome since once it was before the court the judge would have had a chance to take into account her mental state and assess how genuinely her boyfriend wanted to give her another chance, and would probably either have thrown it out entirely or given a conditional discharge telling her to have some therapy.

Sadly she couldn't await the outcome sad

Pattie47 Sun 16-Feb-20 10:25:33

Maybe its time we tackled our press ....they can destroy lives by their constant "celebrity" rubbish & lies they print in the newspapers. We seem to be one of the worst countries for our tabloid press gossip. Ladies I suggest we stop buying these newspapers.

Jishere Sun 16-Feb-20 10:32:44

Love island is a mindless programme which is staged and most of the contestants are thrown into the limelight and grab their fame to make their money. Teaching all youngsters that fame equals getting easy money or silly money.
What is deeply sad this is the fourth death attached to the show and with poor Caroline it seems a complete mess. Never been arrested before, her career in tatters and unable to speak to her boyfriend, the one person this started with.
One thing that strikes me is Ant/Dec last year got all the support for his drink driving case whereas Caroline has been hung out to dry.

RosesAreRed21 Sun 16-Feb-20 10:34:56

Really sad. Her poor family and friends I just hope the media leave them alone to grieve in private

Phoebes Sun 16-Feb-20 10:41:26

I feel so sorry about all this. I expect she thought her career was in ruins and that there was no way forward, even if she was let off with a caution. This has devastated her poor boyfriend, too and he wasn’t allowed to be in touch with her when he was the one person who could have helped. She had a good network of family and friends who loved her, so she must have been a good, if fragile, person. I hope she didn’t read all the comments on social media as this would have made her even more fragile. I can’t understand the people who post vile things, but nobody has to read them.

Esspee Sun 16-Feb-20 10:41:52

It is sad when anybody takes their own life without a compelling reason, especially when they have so much life left to live.
However, I had never seen nor heard of this person until this week but as the newspapers are full of the story I must assume I am just out of touch.

Anniebach Sun 16-Feb-20 10:42:43

Ant/Dec were criticised on this forum ,

suziewoozie Sun 16-Feb-20 10:45:52

Yes Jis women always suffer disproportionately more. Just look at the level of abuse hurled at women politicians compared with male politicians- and it’s always much more personal and threatening. Look at the Yvette Cooper case last week and poor Diane Abbot and Anna Soubrey. And then Gina Millar. And GN reflects this.Look at the TB thread. I wonder how many people expressing sympathy for CF have sympathy for our females in our political life or do they ‘ask for it’ in a way that a celebrety TV presenter doesn’t ? Piers Morgan is on top form joining in Twitter grief for CF. He gets plenty of support on here but a few weeks ago was tweeting in an almostTrumpian obsessed fashion against MM. My post is not ‘whataboutery’ it’s about how women in the public eye suffer far more than men. But the hypocrisy in this particular case is truly breathtaking.

suziewoozie Sun 16-Feb-20 10:47:51

Phoebes none of us know the dynamics of their relationship but I think there’s plenty of evidence that the person someone most wants to see in a case like this might well be the last person they should see.

MawB Sun 16-Feb-20 10:50:08

Who is TB?