Gransnet forums

Chat

Why do men spit in public?

(90 Posts)
Willow10 Sun 16-Feb-20 13:38:54

I know there are a few males on GN so maybe they could answer, because it baffles me. Men spit everywhere - in the street, on the playing field etc. But I can't say I have ever witnessed women spitting. A man just walked past my window and spat on the pavement, which turned my stomach. Is there a good reason for it? hmm

Esspee Mon 17-Feb-20 00:54:28

Thank you @PamelaJ1. I had just assumed everyone was aware of the prevalence of spitting in China.
I wasn’t aware of it being done in this country any longer.

monk08 Mon 17-Feb-20 07:05:09

Often see fellow across the road do it he's a smoker with COPD its horrible yuk!

Oopsminty Mon 17-Feb-20 07:19:51

Can't say I've seen anyone spitting for years.

Awful habit

NfkDumpling Mon 17-Feb-20 07:26:46

We went to China and it was horrendously common. Again though, only men did it. It made me notice how common it had become here in the UK. Not in our local town though - I assume because someone who knew them might tell their mum.

Hetty58 Mon 17-Feb-20 08:47:22

It really turns my stomach too - makes me heave. I campaigned for the 'no spitting' rule at the college where I taught. The reasons I gave were to do with hygiene and TB awareness.

Should someone step in the spit (or put their bag on the ground) there's a (small but dangerous) possibility of infection when they then handle their shoes or bag (or put the bag on a table - another pet hate of mine).

The 'opposition' I received was complaints about 'It's our culture' from some ethnic minority students. I countered with the expectation that the local culture should be followed (just as I would be expected to do when abroad) and a new 'no spitting' rule was introduced on the campus.

Alexa Mon 17-Feb-20 09:17:58

I have not seen men spitting in the street since I was a child. MThe men of my family or otjher respectable people did not do tnhis even then, in the 1940s and 1930s.

A year or three ago a secondary schoolboy from one of the local schools, having just observed me and dog approaching, spat two paces in front of me and my dog. The large boy did not seem to be blind and I took this to be an intended insult to a dog. I stopped and crossed the road.

Spitting in the street is cultural .

Witzend Mon 17-Feb-20 09:49:26

I hate it, and it’s become much more prevalent.
I’m sure the fact that some footballers seem to think it’s OK to spit on the field has made too many people think it’s acceptable instead of disgusting.

I well remember my first visit abroad (France) at 14, seeing ‘No Spitting!’ signs on trains, and thinking they wouldn't be needed at home.
Maybe still not on trains, but elsewhere....

JacquiG Mon 17-Feb-20 10:44:58

Vile habit isn't it, with a huge risk of spreading disease. Thank you for making the connection with wearing outdoor shoes indoors - not a good idea.

Wasn't spitting banned at one time because TB was a risk? Local Councils can now raise by-laws to ban it. Contact your council?

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/10191922/Eric-Pickles-gives-communities-power-to-outlaw-spitting.html

Otherwise how about taking to court for littering?

Alliecat Mon 17-Feb-20 10:55:22

Yes I've seen it more and more in recent years but never remember seeing it when I was younger. I glare pointedly(!) and have remonstrated with the offenders a couple of times, which at least made me feel better. Probably not wise but I channel my inner old schoolteacher and it always seems to work.

Maxblank Mon 17-Feb-20 10:56:56

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Margs Mon 17-Feb-20 10:58:55

I live in Lancashire and I'm afraid spitting in public seems to be a much "cherished" trademark of the male gender in this part of the UK.

It's revolting, anti-social and very un-clever.

Cavemen!

Bellocchild Mon 17-Feb-20 11:00:26

Spitting in public places was illegal until 1990 in the UK, for fear of spreading diseases like TB. Fine of £5. Some areas have reintroduced the ban.

Mimibunz Mon 17-Feb-20 11:01:34

I saw a man spit in the street last week in Oxford. I’ve seen men do it everywhere all my life, except my husband who was taught to carry a handkerchief.

Hetty58 Mon 17-Feb-20 11:04:03

I wonder why they dispensed with the ban? Maybe because it wasn't enforced?

Pap67 Mon 17-Feb-20 11:04:28

I remember when heavily pregnant with my son, a gentleman spat right beside me, I vomited all over a shop window! My friend left me and I had to go into the shop and explain... I was mortified ??‍♀️ To this day it turns my stomach.

NemosMum Mon 17-Feb-20 11:09:03

Not sure if it's still in existence, but spitting was against the law, and people could be fined up to £60. I believe it was to prevent spread of TB. I did know a woman who spat - she was a Vietnamese refugee ('boat people'). I was a contact person for the family and I helped teach them English. I took the lady for a hospital appointment and she astounded me by spitting in the corridor. I didn't know where to put myself! She was equally astounded when I explained that spitting in public was against the law and not socially acceptable!

Teacheranne Mon 17-Feb-20 11:12:28

Margs, I live in Manchester and it's far too common here as well, a disgusting habit in my opinion! It does seem to be more prevalent in young men although not exclusively. What makes me feel really queasy is when they snort and hawk several times first before spitting!

Bluebird64 Mon 17-Feb-20 11:16:15

I expect even God in Heaven is scratching his head over this one! I detest the habit and can only think it's done by unintelligent men who were brought up by a dad who did it.

Alishka Mon 17-Feb-20 11:25:36

Years ago,OH and I were transferring to Europe for his work, and Lisbon was a possibility. The sight of immaculately dressed Portuguese ladies wearing vertiginous high heels gobbing in the streets hasn't left me!
In fact, the definition of a Portuguese breakfast being a cigarette, a coffee and a spit was commonly used by our friends.
I'm hoping that things have changed now, tho.

optimist Mon 17-Feb-20 11:57:05

I worked in a Primary school where many of the men used to spit on the floor, usually in the gym/assembly hall. Whilst I hated it I did assume it was "cultural". Eventually notices were put up in all languages saying "No Spitting".

Dee1012 Mon 17-Feb-20 12:15:35

I'm in the North East and see it regularly, not just from younger people either.
It's absolutely disgusting and I can't see any excuse for it....if you have to clear phlegm, spit it into a hanky, not all over the street!

lefthanded Mon 17-Feb-20 12:28:42

I’ve obviously led a sheltered life. I don’t recall ever seeing anybody spit in public - and I’ve certainly never done it myself. Perhaps we men are a bit more cultured here in Wales.

Nanny27 Mon 17-Feb-20 12:52:50

maxblank perhaps you would consider using a handkerchief when you are out. People still have to occasionally step into the gutter when crossing the road and certainly don’t want to tread in a glob of the contents of your phlegmatic chest .

Shortlegs Mon 17-Feb-20 12:53:18

As a child I remember signs in buses in Liverpool 'Please refrain from expectorating' Puzzled me as to the meaning, had to ask my mum to explain.

SueDonim Mon 17-Feb-20 12:53:55

So, Maxblank spitting is a health thing for you? What about the health of everyone else? hmm Use a tissue, like decent, civilised people do.