Gransnet forums

Chat

Got to thinking just now - can we be kind about posters❓

(504 Posts)
Urmstongran Sun 16-Feb-20 22:30:25

With all this about meanness nowadays on social media how about a little experiment.

I’ve posted.

Can the next person up look at the post above them (about me, to start with) and try to say something nice about the one before? We do ALL have good qualities I’m certain......

It might make for an uplifting thread?

If you can’t (or don’t ‘know’ the poster above to you) leave it and wait. Come back later when you recognise a poster’s style.

Off we go. I’m waiting (in trepidation ha!)
?

Dottygran59 Mon 17-Feb-20 08:47:26

Granniesunite - what a fantastic username!! I too am more of a lurker (reader) than a poster, and agree with you that I have learned so much from being on Gransnet. Perhaps you and I should resolve to post as well? Let others get to know us as we have got to know them (without them even knowing). What a beautiful, uplifting thread for a miserable Monday. Thank you Urmstongran for starting it

supergirlsnan Mon 17-Feb-20 08:47:51

I rarely post but read every day. I find most posters very wise but love the ones who display a good sense of humour/fun.

Curlywhirly Mon 17-Feb-20 08:56:54

Dottygran59 I'm relatively new to GN, but like you, I now feel as though I know some of the regular posters, even though I've never met them (more's the pity!). Like Supernansgirl I love the sense of humour of some of the regulars, they really brighten my day.

dragonfly46 Mon 17-Feb-20 09:02:42

What a lovely thread urmston it has encouraged many of the quiet grans to post. Let’s hope we hear more from them now!

Urmstongran Mon 17-Feb-20 09:05:08

Indeed dragonfly that would be lovely.
Hello all you newbies!

Where are we up to now then?

GrannyGravy13 Mon 17-Feb-20 09:06:24

dragonfly46 I always enjoy your posts, you come over as a very kind lady.

Kindness and politeness cost nothing, let's hope there is more of it on GN from now on.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 17-Feb-20 09:07:28

Urmstongran thank you for this thread flowers

Pantglas2 Mon 17-Feb-20 09:10:29

And you Grannygravy13 are a pleasure to read with your common sense approach to life! And yes I agree that Urmstongran has excelled herself with this thread

Wheniwasyourage Mon 17-Feb-20 09:22:07

Pantglas2, you have often posted things which I wish I had said myself, but you put them better and more succinctly, so it's just as well you did it!

Teetime Mon 17-Feb-20 09:51:34

wheniwasyourage it was kind of you to give someone else credit for her postings but it sounds to me like you have a good deal of insight yourself so I would be pleased to hear more from you. flowers

Charleygirl5 Mon 17-Feb-20 10:01:05

Teetime perhaps I have been asleep but I have not seen many of your posts recently. I have always enjoyed them and this thread makes a refreshing change.

Welcome to the lurkers- you may find the courage to post more if you know you will not get your head bitten off.

Daisyboots Mon 17-Feb-20 10:01:22

Teetime when I first joined I realised what your hobby or is it a passion is. I have always liked your sense of humour

Urmstongran Mon 17-Feb-20 10:05:10

Share the hobby Daisyboots? You have piqued our curiosity there.
?

kittylester Mon 17-Feb-20 10:07:03

Daisyboots is obviously a very perceptive poster. I hope it in the spirit of things to say that for some reason your user name reminds me of Lonny Donegan's famous song and that brightens my day.sunshine

GrannyGravy13 Mon 17-Feb-20 10:11:04

kittylester another poster who brightens my day smile

Charleygirl5 Mon 17-Feb-20 10:18:55

kittylester's days are so busy I am always pleased I am usually sitting down with a cup of coffee when reading what she does in one day. I am positively bone idle in comparison!

curvygran950 Mon 17-Feb-20 10:37:01

I have returned to gransnet after a break and so I consider myself a newbie . Granniesunite- what a lovely post and I, too enjoy reading and joining in (occasionally) with the chats. This is such a different and well meaning thread -hooray !

sodapop Mon 17-Feb-20 11:05:19

At least you are not invisible Maw as sadly I seem to be. ?

BlueSky Mon 17-Feb-20 11:07:40

Charleygirl when I see your name I think of that cheerful sixties musical!
Curvygran such a voluptuous name! Lovely lighthearted thread! smile

BlueSky Mon 17-Feb-20 11:09:30

Oh no Sodapop how can you be invisible with such a bubbly name!

Marydoll Mon 17-Feb-20 11:09:54

Sodapop, you are not. I always notice your name and subsequently read your posts, one of the nice grans! Also I like your user name, makes me think of an American diner in the fifties. I wish I could change mine!

kittylester Mon 17-Feb-20 11:10:53

Marydoll dont you dare!

Charleygirl5 Mon 17-Feb-20 11:13:25

Bluesky I never thought of that when I was thinking about a username. It is the name of a cat no longer with me and I wanted my sex to be identified hence the girl stuck on the end.
I did enjoy that song.

MawB Mon 17-Feb-20 11:16:46

Oh sodapop your name is so bubbly and cheerful and you have the personality to match!
Being invisible might have its advantages, being “damned with faint praise” was alas hardly in the spirit of “random acts of kindness” !
Kittylester I know I can count on you for clear, humane opinions and sensible advice, and I do get a giggle at the references to the frozen leg of lamb and the Idiot.
May they come together!

sodapop Mon 17-Feb-20 11:20:49

Thank you both, that was your random act of kindness today. I am ever the optimist, Don't change your name Marydoll we look for your posts.