Gransnet forums

Chat

The Waitrose shopper's guide to poor people's supermarkets

(43 Posts)
merlotgran Mon 17-Feb-20 20:49:04

This made me chuckle

lemongrove Tue 18-Feb-20 20:51:24

The Home Counties are the regions surrounding London.

It was just a bit of fun.....Not meant to be taken seriously by anyone, and ‘sending up’ a stereotypical Waitrose shopper, and there really are some.?

merlotgran Tue 18-Feb-20 20:58:24

Thank you, lemon. It was just meant to be a bit of fun and I resisted putting "light hearted" in the thread title because once upon a time Gransnetters were able to recognise humour where it was intended without having it spelled out.

Goodness knows why food banks had to be throw into the mix. confused

lemongrove Tue 18-Feb-20 21:06:31

Because they are thrown into every other conversation these days Merlot from food prices to climate change.

gillybob Tue 18-Feb-20 21:38:36

Being a deprived town , We don’t have a Waitrose anywhere near us and I have her set foot in one . We do however have a very good Aldi and an excellent Lidl .

merlotgran Tue 18-Feb-20 21:50:12

I rarely shop in Waitrose. We have a small but very good Aldi which is opposite Sainsbury's so I save 30% on my shopping then nip across the road for the gluten free stuff I can't get in Aldi.

What's not to like?

gillybob Tue 18-Feb-20 21:56:01

We don’t have a Sainsbury’s here either .

Common as muck we are. Asda, Morrison’s, Aldi and Lidl . All the poor peoples supermarkets . grin

Who cares ? A packet of mince and a few onions are the same wherever you shop .

merlotgran Tue 18-Feb-20 22:06:18

Absolutely right!

I've never been in Morrison's because there isn't one around here but my sis-in-law doesn't shop anywhere else.

#worthafortune grin

Callistemon Tue 18-Feb-20 22:13:20

I park my cheap old car in Waitrose Oopsadaisy! wink

That's after I've been to Lidl. However, Lidl doesn't sell a couple of items that Cook likes to prepare for us so Waitrose it is.

trisher Tue 18-Feb-20 22:16:44

Waitrose do give you free coffee if you bring your own cup. You don't get that in Aldi. Mind you if you buy very much you've paid for it really!
I though the article was quite funny.

merlotgran Tue 18-Feb-20 22:22:46

I do love plonking my Waitrose bottle carriers in the Aldi packing area. I think I've had them about five years now.

Good job they were built to last. grin

Callistemon Tue 18-Feb-20 22:25:43

Unfortunately, the only way to get to Lidl at the moment is by canoe
sad

Callistemon Tue 18-Feb-20 22:27:29

We've got Waitrose bags, they're great because they don't cave in when you pack the shopping. We use them everywhere

Dec46 Tue 18-Feb-20 22:32:01

Many years ago my lovely neighbours in Lancashire gave me some pears from tree in their garden in a Harrods bag I was impressed by that,shallow as I am!

merlotgran Tue 18-Feb-20 22:39:27

When DS was about twelve he went on a school trip to London and somehow ended up in Harrods. All he could afford with his pocket money was some chalk for his snooker cue but he insisted on asking for a carrier bag. grin

SueDonim Wed 19-Feb-20 00:13:58

We used to visit Harrods and buy a newspaper, requesting a plastic bag to put it in. The bags lasted for years and years and years! grin

TwiceAsNice Wed 19-Feb-20 08:06:30

I presume you posted some sore of link/video Merlot. Unfortunately I can’t see it on my phone

Pittcity Wed 19-Feb-20 08:27:23

There is rumour of a Lidl being built directly opposite Waitrose here.... I think it is a trend to get the best of both worlds.