Gransnet forums

Chat

Favourite accents

(133 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Mon 17-Feb-20 20:58:44

I just love the brummie accent , I could listen to it all day, and the sexy french one

Nicolaed Fri 21-Feb-20 00:46:40

Irish. Geordie. French. Each one makes my knees go quite weak!

Flygirl Fri 21-Feb-20 00:15:13

Southern Irish accent for me.

Alexa Thu 20-Feb-20 23:46:08

Jeremy Paxman cannot pronounce a glottal stop and inserts an R between two vowels . Slovenly .

drifter Thu 20-Feb-20 23:32:38

I was born a Geordie 1951 1 mile behind the angel of the north.lived in nottingham since i was 12 years old.still got the accent. Old say you can take the geordie out of the north east to countrys far and wide .but geordie land remains in there heart forever.its called Geordie Pride

Merelina Thu 20-Feb-20 23:22:29

My first holiday (I was three) was in Suffolk, I’ve been every year since - the accent is merging with estuary sadly - happily there are still some ‘little ole bhoys’ about who are a delight to hear. Of course it’s nostalgic as it takes me back to long lazy childhood summers.

Juicylucy Thu 20-Feb-20 21:49:21

Geordie and scouse

JuliaM Thu 20-Feb-20 21:33:32

I love the Derbyshire accent, especially around the rural areas around the Peak District, some of the old folks almost speak a language of their own, all very quaint and reminiscent of my Grandfather and the farming background he grew up in during Victorian times, along with the stone quarries and small mining towns and story’s of his adventures around these areas delivering produce from the farm via Horse and cart.

jillyJo Thu 20-Feb-20 21:14:26

Definitely the Welsh accent! It is beautiful.

grannyrebel7 Thu 20-Feb-20 19:14:47

I love the US deep south accent. I also loved the cut glass English accent that was spoken on Downton Abbey.

Camelotclub Thu 20-Feb-20 18:20:57

Irish and Scottish. Midlands is not that nice, sorry!

Froglady Thu 20-Feb-20 17:16:30

I love a Welsh voice as I find it so musical and lilting. I also love a Yorkshire accent.

garnet25 Thu 20-Feb-20 16:56:35

Born in Birmingham spoke Brummie at school but RP at home. Now I've only to hear the accent to go all week at the knees.

tabi88 Thu 20-Feb-20 15:55:45

It’s got to be cockney for me a lovely Danny Dyer geezer type

pen50 Thu 20-Feb-20 15:55:14

I speak RP but the Bloke is a deep-voiced Geordie and I love hearing him speak.

Tedd1 Thu 20-Feb-20 15:54:31

Liverpool for me (I'm Scottish)!

Baloothefitz Thu 20-Feb-20 15:21:12

Southern Irish for me ,family ties & Italian too.

Greciangirl Thu 20-Feb-20 14:43:00

Oh yes, another is northern Irish.
Sorry Llamedos13.

Greciangirl Thu 20-Feb-20 14:41:32

I can rarely understand Scottish, Geordie or Brummie accents.
If they are on T,V, then it’s even worse.

Anyone one else find it difficult to understand various accents.?

Llamedos13 Thu 20-Feb-20 14:32:20

Gillybob, I love the geordie accent, it’s so warm and friendly sounding. I hate my belfast accent but Canadians all tell me they could listen to it all day! (My hubby might disagree on that)

georgia101 Thu 20-Feb-20 14:24:47

I like a lot of accents and can't make up my mind because I like the one I'm listening to at the time the best, lol. The London accent is the one I don't like much because it's so nasal.

BoBo53 Thu 20-Feb-20 14:02:43

I’m a brummie who has lived in Yorkshire and Derbyshire for nearly 50 years. I can still hear my West Midlands accent in certain words and when I had to record an answer phone message. I absolutely hate it!

HannahLoisLuke Thu 20-Feb-20 14:00:43

I too love the southern Irish accent and the French.
I always find the Australian accent and their way of describing things highly entertaining too.

3nanny6 Thu 20-Feb-20 13:48:07

Favourite accents for me ; I like to hear real London cockneys
talk and also like the to hear the rhyming cockney slang Being born in London but not a true cockney myself and cousins would still talk the rhyming slang but it would be a clip around the ear from mum if she heard us and she would be telling us to speak properly.
Love the brogue of the Northern Ireland accent.
Like the Geordie accent (Away the lads) sorry cannot help myself.
Lile the Welsh accent (the deep one that they sound like they come from the valleys)
Also I do like the strong Jamaican accent and like to hear them talk patois which I now understand some of it.
Sorry but that Essex accent drives me mad I hate it.

Bluebird64 Thu 20-Feb-20 13:19:22

Any Scottish accent is fine by me, and if accompanied by a kilt and bagpipes, so much the better!

Madmaggie Thu 20-Feb-20 13:05:18

The soft lilting irish, welsh, soft scottish - which are very soothing. And the kiwi which holds happy memories. I was asked to make tannoy
announcements when I worked (the building will close in X minutes etc etc) because
apparently my lancashire accent
with good diction came across
well with the students, clear but
friendly.