Gransnet forums

Chat

Favourite accents

(133 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Mon 17-Feb-20 20:58:44

I just love the brummie accent , I could listen to it all day, and the sexy french one

JuliaM Thu 20-Feb-20 21:33:32

I love the Derbyshire accent, especially around the rural areas around the Peak District, some of the old folks almost speak a language of their own, all very quaint and reminiscent of my Grandfather and the farming background he grew up in during Victorian times, along with the stone quarries and small mining towns and story’s of his adventures around these areas delivering produce from the farm via Horse and cart.

Juicylucy Thu 20-Feb-20 21:49:21

Geordie and scouse

Merelina Thu 20-Feb-20 23:22:29

My first holiday (I was three) was in Suffolk, I’ve been every year since - the accent is merging with estuary sadly - happily there are still some ‘little ole bhoys’ about who are a delight to hear. Of course it’s nostalgic as it takes me back to long lazy childhood summers.

drifter Thu 20-Feb-20 23:32:38

I was born a Geordie 1951 1 mile behind the angel of the north.lived in nottingham since i was 12 years old.still got the accent. Old say you can take the geordie out of the north east to countrys far and wide .but geordie land remains in there heart forever.its called Geordie Pride

Alexa Thu 20-Feb-20 23:46:08

Jeremy Paxman cannot pronounce a glottal stop and inserts an R between two vowels . Slovenly .

Flygirl Fri 21-Feb-20 00:15:13

Southern Irish accent for me.

Nicolaed Fri 21-Feb-20 00:46:40

Irish. Geordie. French. Each one makes my knees go quite weak!

Grandma2213 Fri 21-Feb-20 00:52:33

I love listening to accents but it is not as easy as saying Irish, Scottish, Welsh, Lancashire, Geordie, etc as there are quite distinct differences even within small areas. North Wales is quite different to South Wales and probably all stages between as I am not very familiar with mid Wales. If we have friends or relatives in particular areas we are more likely to be able to pinpoint the differences. I have great fun listening to actors trying to 'do' accents. I think maybe Cumbrian (any of them) is maybe one of the hardest. I grew up there and I can't do it!!

Laurensnan Fri 21-Feb-20 08:12:14

Definately Geordie for me too. Followed by Italian. ?

Gingster Fri 21-Feb-20 08:26:33

I love all accents apart from the Essex one. A mix of cockney and estuary. As soon as someone opens their mouth, you know they are from Essex. (I’m one of them) ??

Harris27 Fri 21-Feb-20 08:32:20

I have to be loyal as I am a Geordie no matter where I go as long as I hear a Geordie accent I’m home! Love an Irish accent though!

Rufus2 Fri 21-Feb-20 09:00:41

Geordie and scouse
Can't understand them, so no need to pay attention to what they are trying to say! grin

Loulelady Fri 21-Feb-20 09:13:20

Irish, French, Geordie, Italian.
Men with the above accents have a very unfair advantage!
Interestingly, Spanish friends say that they love the Irish accent too (when they speak Spanish).

Loulelady Fri 21-Feb-20 09:15:57

- and Jamaican.

netflixfan Fri 21-Feb-20 10:08:49

Hear Hear! Lilypops. The older and shall we say "posher", and educated Liverpudlians sound like Sir Paul Mcartney. That horrible spitting modern accent is put on.
I like all accents, especially Stoke, impossible to imitate.

BlueSky Fri 21-Feb-20 10:21:25

Surprised at how many like the Irish accent! It is charming!

IrishGrannyAnne Fri 21-Feb-20 13:09:39

Ah begorra lads, maybe I need a Spanish fella if they love my accent. Tho I don't like my spuds! Although Irish I think I have Scottish genes, all of my kids lived there a few years ago, 3 now and grandkids. I adore Scottish accents and music...'ye
cannae shove your granny off the bus'
smile

harrigran Fri 21-Feb-20 13:17:41

I am surprised that there has been no mention of a Wearside accent.
I think people just lump us together with Geordies but the accent is not the same.

ananimous Fri 21-Feb-20 13:34:22

The best accent I have ever heard was recently in France - a waiter spoke perfect french to me with an adorable Cornish lilt.

Poppyred Fri 21-Feb-20 13:35:35

Love a South Wales accent and Cockney - hate the Brummie and Lancashire - sounds as if they are a bit slow - Sorry!

3nanny6 Fri 21-Feb-20 14:48:42

Forgot to mention the Somerset accent you know Wurzel Gummidge and all that. Do they really speak with that farmer like accent it sounds so funny.

ananimous Fri 21-Feb-20 14:50:55

My plummy accent is actually sometimes a drawback.

Gingster Fri 21-Feb-20 18:21:24

Why do my posts keep disappearing

Callistemon Fri 21-Feb-20 18:24:21

That one posted, Ginster, did you do something different?

Callistemon Fri 21-Feb-20 18:24:56

3nanny6 that is rather rude
What's your accent?