Gransnet forums

Chat

Wolf whistling, ok. Or offensive. Thoughts!

(254 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Tue 18-Feb-20 22:03:01

What do gransnetters think of this

BlueBelle Tue 18-Feb-20 22:05:52

Used to love getting wolf whistled I miss it now I’m an old gal

Dec46 Tue 18-Feb-20 22:14:06

Very offensive because I don't get any wolf whistles now!

Actually i can't remember hearing any wolf whistles to anyone for years.Are they making a come back?

TrendyNannie6 Tue 18-Feb-20 22:20:58

Haha . Your post made me giggle Dec46 very offensive because I don’t get any wolf whistles now

LullyDully Tue 18-Feb-20 22:21:21

I am glad this doesn't seem to happen any more. I saw a young girl walk past a building site near me, she was able to pass without any catcalls.
On my way to school as a girl I used to hate passing workmen as they always said something. I used to hate it so much. I never saw it as a compliment.

Curlywhirly Tue 18-Feb-20 22:23:04

Oh, I don't know - they're pretty harmless, well to me they are. Hasn't happened to me for years!

BlueSky Tue 18-Feb-20 22:24:12

Chance would be a fine thing! grin

Galaxy Tue 18-Feb-20 22:25:46

It's never a compliment.

eazybee Tue 18-Feb-20 22:27:25

My mother said, at my first wolf whistle: the time to worry is when you don't get any.
I believe it is deemed offensive nowadays!

Oopsminty Tue 18-Feb-20 22:28:06

I used to wolf whistle back if they were good looking

Curlywhirly Tue 18-Feb-20 22:29:38

Oopsminty ???

Doodledog Tue 18-Feb-20 22:46:33

It's never a compliment.

I agree. I think it is demeaning and objectifying. Basically it is someone saying 'I want to have sex with you', and saying it when you are going about your business and have not asked for attention.

It can be humiliating and potentially threatening, and it is demeaning to women, as is the idea that we should be concerned when it stops. We are worth more than our attractiveness to men.

Before anyone accuses me of being po-faced, I see nothing wrong at all with mutual flirting, consensual sex between adults, or people doing whatever they like in the bedroom. It is when such attention comes unbidden that I object.

JuliaM Tue 18-Feb-20 22:48:19

Wolf Whistling and shouting offensive banter after females was a disciplinary offence on sites run by a large national Building contractor just before my husband retired, as was making suggestive remarks to other staff, whether in jest or not. Some of the young lads were really bad with it, and often included foul language, needless to say a few ended their career even before it started, it was classed as Sexual Harassment offences and a reason for dismissal on company policy.

BlueBelle Tue 18-Feb-20 22:55:44

I think a wolf whistle is very innocent I would never justify offensive remarks but a wolf whistle was certainly deemed a complement by us
I can’t see what’s offensive about it a wolf whistle never meant ‘
‘ I want to have sex with you’ it simple meant ‘you’re looking good’ blimey no wonder everyone so dour these days

Chewbacca Tue 18-Feb-20 23:00:01

I'd pay someone to wolf whistle at me these days. And I promise I wouldn't be offended.

Dec46 Tue 18-Feb-20 23:08:35

Agree BlueBelle,"back in the day",boys wolf whistling knew they had no chance of getting sex no matter how hard their whistle was.

Doodledog Tue 18-Feb-20 23:11:31

blimey no wonder everyone so dour these days
I wondered how long it would take for a comment like that - I even pre-empted it in my post grin. I promise you that I am not remotely dour - I enjoy a laugh as much as the next woman.

If you see it as a compliment, fine. But lots of women really don't, so why should they be subjected to it? Nobody is asked if they want to be objectified, are they? There is no consent involved, which is why I think it is offensive.

Opal Tue 18-Feb-20 23:18:38

A wolf whistle used to be just a bit of innocent banter, it made my day if I got one! I just took it to mean "wow, looking good!" It's all so serious now, and offence is taken at the smallest thing. The kids I grew up with enjoyed a bit of banter and flirting, and we all knew where to draw the line. Political correctness has killed off the fun and the humour that I used to enjoy in my youth.

Summerlove Tue 18-Feb-20 23:20:13

I always found them horrible.

Made me so uncomfortable.

blondenana Tue 18-Feb-20 23:21:48

Nothing wrong with a wolf whistle,i got a few, but catcalling is different,
I wouldn't or didn't find it offensive

Summerlove Tue 18-Feb-20 23:22:43

Political correctness has killed off the fun and the humour that I used to enjoy in my youth.

Why do you think this happened?

It doesn’t happen in a vacuum.

Obviously it was upsetting to more people than not to become something distasteful.

I always find these comments so interesting. As though a few people enjoying what they consider to be a joke is far more important than those that were being hurt. Then they lay blame at those hurt by saying they are too PC, and soft and should get over it.

Chewbacca Tue 18-Feb-20 23:30:14

Did you ever get any wolf whistles Summerlove?

Summerlove Tue 18-Feb-20 23:33:41

I said upthread I did chewbacca. Are you questioning everyone else who disliked them if they actually got them?

Opal Tue 18-Feb-20 23:35:33

For me, it was just a joke Summerlove, there was nothing to feel "hurt" about. That was my experience, I'm not going to apologise for enjoying life!

Chewbacca Tue 18-Feb-20 23:40:40

Not at all summerlove, I just hadn't seen your earlier post, that's all. #touchy