Gransnet forums

Chat

I didn't say a word.

(34 Posts)
travelsafar Fri 21-Feb-20 13:45:39

OUr 12yr old grandson has been staying this week. Today he was up early as being collected by amother family member for the day and night before going home tomorrow. He wanted to shower so i sorted the water temperature for him and left it to him. After he came out of the bathroom i went in about 15mins later to get my ablutions completed. I had to chuckle to myself. The shower curtain was dry, bathtowel still neatly folded on the side, no water anywhere on the floor and the bar of soap bone dry. All he had done was stick his head under the shower and washed his hair so he could re gel it. He had sprayed body spray on himself to make a nice smell too. There was no smell of toothpaste either or blobs of paste in the sink which i usually find when he has brushed his teeth. I just kept it to myself and thought
back to when we thought we had got away with something and how our parents probably knew, It really made me laugh later when told DH. smile

chrissyh Sat 22-Feb-20 15:09:09

I used to make my son go straight into the shower after football when he was about 10. All he did was sit in the shower tray with the water running, and warm up -there certainly wasn't any soap involved. When he came out he still had dirty knees so he had to go back in to wash.

Jillybird Sat 22-Feb-20 15:14:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PamGeo Sat 22-Feb-20 15:22:12

Oh Jilly, I remember my son being the same, I could hide money under the soap.

Hetty58 Sat 22-Feb-20 15:24:19

I've had the kids here this week and I really nag about tooth brushing and hair combing. Showering is suggested but remains optional as a couple of days being dirty won't do them any harm.

Bijou Sat 22-Feb-20 17:00:04

When I was a child in the 1920s and 30s although we lived in a new modern house we only had a bath and hair wash once a week with bar soap. Hair was dried in front of the one coal fire. Underclothes were changed once a week and outer garments less frequently.
When I was in the WAAF during the war I was in a private billet with a wash basin and jug of cold water. Had to break the ice to wash. I then had to cycle three miles to headquarters in order to get something to eat.
When starting caravanning in the 1950s sites only had toilets or Elsan disposal points.
I well remember when all the toiletries first came on to the market.
For the sake of the environment I have now gone back to bar soap but couldn’t do without my daily shower and frequent clothes wash.

Grandmama Sat 22-Feb-20 20:50:56

My father used to call me 'Crocketts the Dry Cleaners'! Flannel just as dry when I came out of the bathroom as when I went it. Then in my very early teens I stayed over with a school friend and I was stunned at how thoroughly she washed. A revelation. Turned my ablutions through 180 degrees!

JaneyG Sat 22-Feb-20 21:01:52

I couldn’t understand why my teenage son took so long in the shower, years later he told me he used to run the shower, lean against the wall and go to sleep ?

Shropshirelass Fri 28-Feb-20 09:35:32

My son spent hours in the shower, setting off the smoke alarms with all the steam and propellants from his Lynx deodorant, he used a can every week and he was only 12!