Gransnet forums

Chat

It would seem that I have a new disorder.

(48 Posts)
phoenix Sat 22-Feb-20 15:48:14

Hello all, and good wishes.

Long standing members (please do sit down) may remember that a few years ago I "came out" as suffering from Philpotts Syndrome.

It was heartening to hear from so many fellow sufferers, but sad that as yet there seems to be no cure. sad We are all still destined to stand in our kitchens, looking at a variety of dishes or plastic containers, and a quantity of food with absolutely no idea of which one to use.

Sadly, I have had to acknowledge that I now suffer from "Isthatenoughitis".

It has been coming on for some time, but I became acutely aware of it in the run up to Christmas, when I found myself perusing the frozen turkeys, although of course it can come on in any food department, or indeed, even your own kitchen.

It was yesterday when I finally accepted that I had a problem. ?

A lamb hotpot was planned for Sunday. No problem with selecting the quantity of carrots, onions or potatoes. (Any excess can be used for other meals). But it was when I was at the meat counter that the syndrome kicked in.

One of the prepared packs of shoulder fillet should have been enough, but would it? What if Mr P finished his meal less than satisfied? shock What if I did?

So, of course I added another pack to my trolley blush

I'm now prepping the hotpot, and of course there's enough meat for at least 4 people.

I do the same thing when making lentil and bacon soup. Weigh the lentils, think "that doesn't look enough" so bung in a bit more, then because it's too thick, add another can of tomatoes and more stock and end up with enough damn soup to feed a harvest supper!

Are there any other sufferers out there? Please tell me I'm not the only one!

V3ra Sat 22-Feb-20 17:36:43

I dream of leftovers to freeze!
In this house with a husband and resident adult son it's a case of wheredotheyputitall? ?
Even worse when the rest visit and I think I've cooked enough for the aforementioned army: leftoversyou'llbelucky ?
The only leftovers are when my husband cooks and puts twice as much food on my plate as I want or need. Still, that's a free lunch the next day ?

Gaunt47 Sat 22-Feb-20 17:44:28

luckygirl I'm a sufferer of a similar mental condition, known as: isitworthbuyingthatitus. The symptoms are dithering in front of supermarket shelves, coming home with half empty shopping bags, opening the food cupboard and discovering vital ingredients are missing. Very sad sad

SalsaQueen Sat 22-Feb-20 17:47:43

Me too. I cook for about 6 people, although there are only 3 of us living here. I can't help but do huge dinners for my son and husband, and although our freezer is always full, I keep buying more food!

52bright Sat 22-Feb-20 18:24:36

I know where you are coming from Pheonix. I suffer from thiswillneverbeenoughitis when any visitors are coming. 4 coming for dinner? Cook at least enough for 8. Buffet for 15? Cook/buy in at least enough for 30. Fortunately not much goes to waste between sending some home with people, feed some to the dog and freezing some but why oh why do I do it? I always vow that 'this time' I will cater differently but I never learn. This disease of thiswillneverbeenoughitis is closely linked to fearofundercatering syndrum. Both are hereditary conditions sadly inherited from my mother. Do have several glasses of wine everybody wine wine wine I
knew you were coming and bought a caseful grin

Auntieflo Sat 22-Feb-20 18:30:39

Phoenix, you've only bloomingoneanddoneitagainitis.
Made me laugh on a miserable afternoon.
Now I suffer from the whereistherightlidforthecontaineritis?
Several of these takeaway, very useful plastic reusable pots, in the cupboard. I have even resorted to writing on pot and lid, A,B,C etc, but there is often a surfeit of A's and no matching lid! Why? Where do they go?
Pleasetellmetheanswer, on a postcard will do nicely.

Jane43 Sat 22-Feb-20 18:48:40

I have a similar condition ‘Ican’twastethisitis’ so I just can’t throw away a chicken carcass and have to make it into soup or stock so I end up having chicken soup for lunch several times a week and a lot of chicken stock in the freezer. DH has ‘thisisabargainitis’ and consequently we have about 20 cartons of long life oat milk in the pantry, thankfully it will keep for at least six months. We also have a lot of reduced items in the freezer that he has spotted when shopping. We also have several tubs of Benecol spread in the freezer and multiple bottles of his favourite red wine bought when Sainsburys have their 25% off 6 bottles or more offer. We have just got through a lot of toilet rolls bought when we thought there might be a shortage due to a no deal Brexit and we have a lot of frozen vegetables in the freezer, bought for the same reason. Thankfully we don’t go shopping at times when a lot of supermarket items are reduced otherwise it could be much more of a problem for us.

Curlywhirly Sat 22-Feb-20 18:51:52

Auntyflo I think the missing lids are in another dimension together with the missing socks, a pen that works, my numerous potato peelers, bobbles for my hair and the babies dummies, which all seem to mysteriously disappear in my house on a regular basis.

Speaking of itis's, what about the very upsetting IhaveafreezerfulloffoodthatIneveruse,keepitforjustincaseitis? If we ever have food shortages, then I'm your man (well woman), freezer (and I have 2, God knows why) full, cupboards full, pantry full. All welcome if we should suffer a famine/ice age/plague.

Septimia Sat 22-Feb-20 18:58:54

I think I probably suffer from most of the aforementioned afflictions.

However, possibly the most serious problem that I have is DHpreparesenoughforthewholevillageitis.

kittylester Sat 22-Feb-20 19:13:46

Oh Phoenix you've made me laugh, as usual!!

I suffer from iveforgittenidonthavesevenpeopletofeeditis!! Consequently, I suffer also from myfreezerisfulltobustingitis.

It's a dreadful affliction!

GrannyLaine Sat 22-Feb-20 19:19:26

My DD1 has always been a sufferer Phoenix. Great hospitality skills but #neverknowinglyundercatered
It drives her husband nuts.

NfkDumpling Sat 22-Feb-20 19:22:04

I used to have Philpotts Syndrome with resulting frozen Whatthehellisthisitus. But now we have a rook visiting our bird table who has very wide ranging tastes. Tomorrow he’ll be having a small portion of chicken and rice. He may even leave some for his jackdaw friends. I’m cured - nearly.

Callistemon Sat 22-Feb-20 19:44:02

I tend to have Overspillpotts syndrome.
Hence the need for an oven liner.

Urmstongran Sat 22-Feb-20 20:53:40

Oh I’m with you Norts - a woman after my own heart! Mashed potatoes with butter and warm milk. The food of the gods indeed.

I peel the potatoes and then always a couple extra ‘for me’. I could eat a plate of them alone and be joyous.

A side of sprouts with butter and white pepper and I’d be in heaven.

farview Sat 22-Feb-20 21:14:29

....have a freezer drawer full of old houmus pots now filled with mashed potatoes...always cook too much...margarine cartons filled with chilli...freezer bags full of soup...my thing is ...icantbloodycalculateproperly.. ...

phoenix Sat 22-Feb-20 22:03:47

Thank you all for the responses!

So good to hear that I am not suffering alone, and that there are new syndromes/ conditions that we should all be aware of!

Nortsat46 Sat 22-Feb-20 22:18:06

Urmston you might need a/nother glass of something nice, with all those mashed potatoes ...

Grandmafrench Sun 23-Feb-20 20:55:18

Think you all need a good holiday to break these dreadful habits. A couple of weeks somewhere new and going "cold turkey" should bring about a cure. However, be aware, there is often a high risk of contracting Musttakelotsaclothesjustincase Syndrome. Whilst rarely fatal, it can later lead to NowIhavetore-ironallthislotweneverwore Affliction which, again, may involve much time standing in your kitchen and, well, complaining!

Hetty58 Sun 23-Feb-20 21:52:13

Luckygirl, I find the packs or portions for two are just right for little old me. What you need are bigger plates, that's all!

Hetty58 Sun 23-Feb-20 22:06:00

having just eaten two Gu valentines edition zillionaires cheesecakes (bought by chubby friend - as now reduced - then given to me as her guilt set in).

My guilt is entirely due to having fallen off the vegan waggon, (not wishing to ever waste good food) and nothing to do with the portion size. Those little glass pots are truly tiny!

EllanVannin Sun 23-Feb-20 22:27:18

All the time----and there's only me !! Ohcrumbsivedoneitagain----it's an affliction. No wonder there's lumps on my thumb joints---it's caused with the weight of my plateful, it would easily do two people.

Wait until I mix the batter tomorrow for pancakes on Tuesday!
I'll be eating them until they come out of my ears. Batteritis.

Kittye Sun 23-Feb-20 22:36:14

All I can say is “ glad it’s not just me “ ?

Callistemon Sun 23-Feb-20 22:45:29

Buymorejustincaseitis - lemons in this case.
And yes, we already had a bagful in the fridge
So yes, indeed, I too feel batteritis and justonemorepancakeitis coming on.