Gransnet forums

Chat

Songs from Primary School

(299 Posts)
BradfordLass73 Sat 22-Feb-20 19:26:21

I've just been reminded of a song, originally heard on 'Listen with Mother', called 'Horniman and Sir' about feet.

Horniman and Sir, here we go together, Horniman and Sir, never mind the weather
I'm sure many will remember it.

That led me on to favourite songs from my first days at school:
At Eastertime the lillies fair and lovely flowers grow everywhere, at Eastetime, at Eastertime, how glad the world at Eastertime
Sadly, I can find no more word to that one.

Then: Sing a song of Maytime, sing a song of Spring.....

The chorus went:
Maytime, playtime, God has given the Maytime
Thank him for his gifts of love and sing a song of Spring

Both written by Frederick A. Jackson, whose school songs were popular in the 50's.

Do you remember these songs and what were your favourite songs when you were little?

Harris27 Sat 22-Feb-20 21:47:45

Yes lemon grove I still sing this at nursery every day with my kiddies.

Harris27 Sat 22-Feb-20 21:49:29

I remember singing hymns in the assembly like morning has broken. And all things bright and beautiful.

BlueSapphire Sat 22-Feb-20 21:55:09

Bradfordlass -
At Eastertime the angels said,
That Christ is risen from the dead!
At Eastertime, at Eastertime,
How glad the world at Eastertime!

BlueSapphire Sat 22-Feb-20 21:59:54

Sing a song of Maytime, sing a song of spring,
Flowers are in their beauty,
Birds are on the wing.
Maytime, Maytime, oh the happy Maytime....

And I can't remember the last line!

BlueSapphire Sat 22-Feb-20 22:07:39

Another one, not from my chilldhood, but one I used to teach my infants in the 70s.

Little lambs in the fields at play,
Little birds singing songs all day,
Little flowers among the grass,
Tell us spring is here at last.

I still sing that one when I see the first lambs in the fields.

MamaCaz Sat 22-Feb-20 22:10:02

Buffybee
Can anyone remember, Green Grow the Rushed O?

I don't know that from school, but on long car journeys my dad (who had a Catholic upbringing, though I didn't know that until I was an adult!) would sing it very enthusiastically and get us children joining in. Happy memories smile

The big ship sails on the Ally Ally Oh takes me back to infant school - we must have sung many songs at that school, but that is the only one I remember.

Chewbacca Sat 22-Feb-20 22:12:58

My 3 year DGS came home from nursery singing "If You're Happy and You Know It Clap Your Hands" the other day! That took me back many years!

farview Sat 22-Feb-20 22:14:19

Oh how emotional is this...I remember vividly..Marianina ..eyes filling up now...and vaguely one about a tree I think "..and the green grass grew all around around,around etc" ..and of course beautiful hymns(Catholic primary school)...and Yellow Bird..up high in banana tree...

BlueSapphire Sat 22-Feb-20 22:18:43

Oh goodness, I'm on a roll now!

Down came the raindrops on a cloudy day,
Wetting all the pavements, washing dirt away.
Waking little brown buds, thirsty seeds as well,
Right into the blades of grass the tiny raindrops fell.

Pitter patter, pitter patter, this is how they came,
Pitter patter, pitter patter, let us do the same
Pitter patter, down to earth they fell,

And again I can't remember the last line!

Chewbacca Sat 22-Feb-20 22:19:20

I listened to Marianina on the YouTube link farview and I was filling up with tears too. The children sounded so lovely, just as I remembered from my school days.

mrswoo Sat 22-Feb-20 22:21:53

i remember singing Soldier, Soldier will you marry me with your musket, fife and drum. The last verse went something like “ oh no pretty maid I cannot marry you as I have a wife of my own”
Also we used to sing Early One Morning, about a maiden
singing in the valley below.
And Marianna too of course.
Happy days, I used to love singing but have the most dreadful singing voice and was once sent out of the room as the teacher thought I was deliberately singing off key.

MiniMoon Sat 22-Feb-20 22:35:26

For Buffybee,
^The keeper did a shooting go,
And under his arm he carried a bow,
All for to shoot at a merry little doe,
Among the leaves so green oh.

To my hey down down
To my hoe down down,
Hey down, how down
Derry Derry down,
Among the leaves so green oh^.

I could go on as I remember it all!
I remember singing Blow the wind Southerly in a schools choir competition at the Carlisle musical festival when I was in the junior school choir.

At the end of the summer term we always sang, Lord dismiss us with thy blessing,
it always brought a tear to my eye.

youtu.be/nNFqsbwY2Es

storynanny Sat 22-Feb-20 22:37:56

Yes you are right, lots of those mentioned are from time and tune and various other broadcasts. Especially Marianina! I can remember sitting on the PE benches singing them.
I have a vivid memory of hearing my all time favourite hymn for the first time. At infant school probably about 1961/2 a man with a guitar came and taught us a “ new” song.
“Thank you for giving us this morning” I was fascinated by how each verse went up by another semitone.
I’ve taught this song and told that story to every class I ever taught.

Grandmafrench Sat 22-Feb-20 22:38:37

My own GM used to have a china mug which played Widdecombe Faire. I knew all the words and we sang this in my class sometimes.

BlueSapphire - Think the last two lines are
Pitter patter pitter patter children though we be
Giver of the gentle rain we give our thanks to Thee.

Jacq10 - Shouldn't imagine Camptown Races or Shenandoah would be considered "suitable" for school classes now. !!?
It's sad to think that our happy memories of many of the traditional songs and even nursery rhymes will survive beyond our grandchildren.

MiniMoon Sat 22-Feb-20 22:42:25

On singing it through again to myself I think I've written it down wrong.
Theres a bit about Jacky boy, master, sing you well, very well in it somewhere.

storynanny Sat 22-Feb-20 22:42:35

Oops, remembered it wrong it’s Thank you for waking me this morning” and it was written in 1964 so later than I thought.

mancgirl Sat 22-Feb-20 22:51:46

Why have these songs stuck with me all these years when I can't remember what I did 2 days ago?! When a Knight won his Spurs and Jerusalem were primary school choir songs. A keeper did a shooting go, Green grow the leaves among the Hawthorne trees and Blow the man down. There was a nonsense song something like - There was a man who had a horse -a-lum, down in Deva- rarum, or something like that. My brothers used to sing As I was going to Stawberry Fair, trifle, trifle come and get an eyeful! Loved singing all these school songssmile

mancgirl Sat 22-Feb-20 22:54:08

Gillybob loved those songs too. Lord of all Hopefulness was a favourite.

trisher Sat 22-Feb-20 23:01:15

I always sang "The Big ship sails" when. my GCs were in the bath. They thought it hilarious.

The big ship sails through the illey alley oh
The illey alley oh
The illey alley oh
The big ship sails through the illey alley oh
On the first day of September.

The captain says it'll never never do
never never do etc

The big ship sinks to the bottom of the sea
The bottom of the sea etc

We all sink to the bottom of the sea
etc
It used to be a game going under the arms of two children in verse one, pretending to be captain in verse 2 , the sinking ship in 3 and all finishing up on the floor in 4

Songs changed in the 60s and 70s when we started singing new songs in schools like Ralph Mctell's 'Streets of London' which became 'Streets of Our Town'

GrannySomerset Sat 22-Feb-20 23:03:19

As well as singing hymns with proper words and good tunes we had the Cecil Sharpe song book full of excellent settings of folk songs from all over the British Isles. At home, an ancient copy of the News Chronicle Sing Book provided us with much entertainment, although DD when very young could be reduced to tears by the opening bars of Tit Willow - “it’s SO sad”. We sang in the car, in the bath, and anywhere else. DD still fits in choral singing despite a very busy life, and I still sing (not very well) with the church choir and another group. Lots of evidence to suggest how good music, and especially singing, is for us.

annep1 Sat 22-Feb-20 23:03:52

Lovely thread Bradfordlass. Will add something in the morning.

Maggiemaybe Sat 22-Feb-20 23:14:11

A North country maid up to London had strayed
Although with her nature it did not agree
So she wept and she sighed and bitterly she cried
"Oh, I wish once again in the North I could be."

For the oak and the ash and the bonny ivy tree
They flourish at home in the North country

While sadly I roam I regret my dear home
Where the lads and young lasses are making the hay
Where the birds sweetly sing, and the merry bells do ring
And the maidens and meadows are pleasant and gay

For the oak and the ash and the bonny ivy tree
They flourish at home in the North country

No doubt if I please, I could marry with ease
Where maidens are fair, many lovers will come
But the man that I wed must be North country bred
And carry me back to my own country

Maggiemaybe Sat 22-Feb-20 23:14:36

This is a lovely thread.

Maggiemaybe Sat 22-Feb-20 23:23:48

DH and I have just given a rousing rendition of Green Grow the Rushes Oh, followed by the Camptown Races. You’ve all missed a treat. grin He’s 5 years older than me, so they must have got full value from those song sheets. I don’t remember the cross-eyed cook, though, and he does. And only I remember Dance to your Daddy, which was probably just for our area.

storynanny Sat 22-Feb-20 23:31:03

Mhairis wedding! Another of my favourites