Gransnet forums

Chat

Your favourite tips that you would like to pass on

(36 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Mon 24-Feb-20 09:43:27

Having run out of spectacle wipes yesterday, I decided to use washing detergent, well impressed if I say so myself

dizzyblonde Tue 25-Feb-20 07:43:36

My children tell me that my mantra growing up was ‘ treat other people as you would like to be treated’, at least they listened to something I said!
My advice to new parents was, at night be available but boring, no films or tv when feeding them, I had a low light and a pile of Agatha Christie’s and only changed them when dirty.

BradfordLass73 Tue 25-Feb-20 04:11:41

If you do have difficuty getting the top off a jar, before putting it back on, cover the top with clingfilm and then the lid.

Chewbacca Mon 24-Feb-20 23:55:33

Life's too short to iron anything.

BradfordLass73 Mon 24-Feb-20 23:22:22

I don't often clean my own toilet, I have someone to do that for me but the idea of putting a brush back into its holder with gunge on sounds revolting.
The brush and the container are cleaned along with the rest of thet bathroom.

Tips:

Put a disposable nappy into a hanging basket between the shell and the soil. It will hold water (as do those gel pearls).

When hammering a nail into plaster, put the nail through a strip of cardboard first, that will hold it and you don't hit your fingers.

If you use sipper-top water bottles, bleach or use sterilising tablets/powder to clean them every 2 days in warm weather. Tap water can be made sweet by putting it into a jug (cover with a clean cloth) and letting the chemicals evaporate.

Never buy stainless steel clothes pegs from 'Innovations' - they burn you in hot weather smile

A tight lid on a jar can be loosened by dribbling hottish water over it first.

Always rinse the bowl in which you've beaten eggs, in cold water immediately afterwards.

Stains in vases and other narrow recptacles can be removed by putting dry rice into the bottom with a little washing up liquid and warm water. Or vinegar and bicar, or bleach if you use it. Swirl round and use the handle of a wooden spoon for really stubborn marks.

Wooden spoons should be sterilised every week, they harbour lots of bacteria.

If you use a PC and keyboard. When everything is turned off, clean the latter by holding it upside down and tapping firmly onto a cloth. The keys and between them can be cleaned with a damp but not wet cotton bud dipped in methylated spirtis, or nail remover.

If you lack space in the kitchen as I do and need to stack pans one inside the other, use a piece of kitchen paper between each pan, especially the non-stick ones. Always put non-stick pans to soak before wiping with a cloth and then rinsing. As they get less non-stick, use a no-scratch scourer on stubborn food.

Invest in bowls or dishes with big handles so anything cooked in the microwave does not have to be lifted out precariously with an oven glove or cloth. Food can then be decanted into a serving dish.

DanniRae Mon 24-Feb-20 16:12:47

My grandmother {mother to 9} apparently used to say "Don't put it down.....put it away!"

My mum used to say "Least said, soonest mended!"

I say "What goes around comes around!"

And more important than all this wisdom - buy a toilet brush that grips a pad of paper, impregnated with toilet cleaner.
When the toilet is cleaned, press a button and the paper pad goes down the toilet. Sorry can't remember who makes this wonderful product grin

DoraMarr Mon 24-Feb-20 16:07:56

There are very few things in life you have to do.

Greymar Mon 24-Feb-20 16:05:20

Lordy, life changing loo brushes, clean spectacles, life in the fast lane here.

My tip would be, in a world where you can be anything ,be a stuffed penguin.

Daddima Mon 24-Feb-20 16:00:23

If you’re annoyed by something, ask yourself if it will matter in five years. If it won’t, let it go.

Calendargirl Mon 24-Feb-20 14:59:45

I stand my toilet brush in its container, in bleach solution.

melp1 Mon 24-Feb-20 14:51:19

Not sure about JackB's comment on no toilet brush, what if a visitor uses your toilet and needs to use a brush how embarassing for them.
I always clean the toilet with the brush then leave it in the bowl to soak while I clean the rest of the bathroom, then I return it to its pot.

Missfoodlove Mon 24-Feb-20 13:33:00

Soda pop,
I’ve searched many years for the life changing toilet brush!!
The search for the life changing dress continues!

sodapop Mon 24-Feb-20 12:15:26

I agree Buffybee no should mean no, not maybe.

That toilet brush looks interesting Missfoodlove who would think we could wax lyrical about such a thing.

Nortsat46 Mon 24-Feb-20 12:10:28

Let go of anger and small slights.

Don’t make a mountain out of a molehill.

If you can’t say something nice, don’t say anything.

Live and let live.

Be kind.

?

Missfoodlove Mon 24-Feb-20 12:09:27

Ohmother, I only discovered that recently!
Also the arrow by the petrol pump symbol on my dashboard display would have saved me a lot of hassle....if only I had known!

Buffybee Mon 24-Feb-20 12:01:22

Advise from my Grandma when I had my first child:

When you say no, mean no.
Never tell a lie.
Never break a promise.

Ohmother Mon 24-Feb-20 11:53:48

My mum’s were

Never a lender or borrower be
And
A dog that will fetch will carry. ?

Ohmother Mon 24-Feb-20 11:52:08

A regular one on here. When you buy kitchen foil or cling film and open it, push the ends of the box in and there are perforated tabs to hold on to the roll whilst you pull the material.

TrendyNannie6 Mon 24-Feb-20 11:49:57

That’s a great tip Hellsbelles

Hellsbelles Mon 24-Feb-20 10:52:18

For people that do use wipes, store them face down , that way you always get the wettest one.

Missfoodlove Mon 24-Feb-20 10:41:18

I always disliked loo brushes until I found this one from Joseph Joseph.....almost life changing!

TrendyNannie6 Mon 24-Feb-20 10:24:27

I use disposable gloves and toilet cleaner with cloth or scourer and clean that way and flush, never ever had a problem,

JackyB Mon 24-Feb-20 10:21:01

I don't like them either. I just grab a handful of toilet paper and rub skid marks away then flush. Afterward I wash my hands (or more usually, gloves) thoroughly. The water in the loo is the same as the water you drink so I don't see a problem.

A toilet brush, once used, sits there with the gunge in it, dripping water into its holder or on to the floor, depending on its design.

Lucca Mon 24-Feb-20 10:13:35

Can’t believe I’m going to mention this...but if toilet brushes are a no no please could you say what the alternative is......

Merelina Mon 24-Feb-20 10:07:51

My father used to say ‘Never lend a person more than you would be prepared to give them’

My mother’s tip was ‘once something’s said it can never be unsaid, however much you apologise.’

Missfoodlove Mon 24-Feb-20 10:06:55

Most child safety caps on tablets are now reversible.
The reverse side opens as a normal cap. Great if you’re arthritic.