Gransnet forums

Chat

Is there a special song that brings back happy memories?

(77 Posts)
DanniRae Tue 25-Feb-20 11:18:48

I just heard mine on the radio grin
Back in February 1984 I was pregnant. I was already lucky to have 2 daughters and when I went to have a very thorough scan (because of family medical problems) they said do you want to know what it is? Of course I did! "Well it's a boy" they said. I was so excited I nearly fell off of the bed. BUT my husband had said all along that he didn't want to know what we were having ...... so I had to keep it myself........right until August. So what is 'my song' - Of course it is "Let's hear it for the BOY" by Deniece Williams.
My son is now 35 and every time I hear this song I am back in 1984 and remember what a happy time it was for all of us smile

jaylucy Wed 26-Feb-20 10:40:02

Oh gosh! This has made me remember more !
She " by Charles Aznavour and "Laughter in the Rain" by Neil Sedaka,remind me of one of my first boyfriends, and the summer before I started my first job. Oh he (the boyfriend) was so gorgeous - we split up over a misunderstanding but I have often wondered where he is now!
"The Air that I Breathe " by the Hollies - first kiss
"What a Wonderful World" by Louis Armstrong - my dad always used to sing along with it and anything by Perry Como
"Lady" by Kenny Rogers - it was our first dance at our wedding and even though we are no longer together, for a while, he was my "knight in shining armour" and he loved me.

Saggi Wed 26-Feb-20 10:40:26

My mum ....she wasn’t a sentimental woman.... never once remember her saying to any of us “ I love you”.... don’t think any of us missed it.... there was six of us , with me as youngest.....But she had a rocking chair, and quite often she would take me on her knee and sing ‘Que Sera,Sera ‘ to me. I thought it was our special song, and knew at the time she loved me. Since learnt she sang same song to all of us, one after the other, it doesn’t matter .... it’s still my favourite song. And I used to sing it to my two. Don’t know if they remember as I had/have an awful voice.... my mother didn’t!!

paddyanne Wed 26-Feb-20 10:54:59

Perfect by Fairground Attraction ,the wee nurse who specialed my premature son sung it constantly the whole 10 and a bit weeks he spent in special care .I only have to hear it and I'm back with bleeps and tubes and a 2 and a half pounder in an incubator.I've been an Eddi Reader fan ever since .

wolfie1 Wed 26-Feb-20 11:02:37

Band of Gold by Freda Payne. It was number 1 in charts the day we married, 26th September 1970.
The saddest one is Set Fire to the Rain by Adele. It's not the words to it but it was playing at the time I was told that my sister had died. Now I can't listen to it without a tear in my eye.

Sweetpea60 Wed 26-Feb-20 11:17:52

Songs that bring back memories for me are dancing queen by abba spent so many happy hours dancing the night away to this one .Also maggie may by rod stewart .

NannyC1 Wed 26-Feb-20 11:23:29

Catch a falling g Star.Perry Como from when I was very young. Every time You Go Away by Paul Young. I was pregnant at the time my husband sang it with his band, and I was travelling back to UK to see my family.

Yangste1007 Wed 26-Feb-20 11:30:53

Couldn't choose one as all these have special meaning so:-

Genesis - Follow You Follow Me 1978 (my absolute favourite, if you haven't heard it, listen)
Lou Reed - Perfect Day
Leonard Cohen - Dance Me to the End of Love
Roberta Flack - The First Time I Ever Saw Your Face

Annaram1 Wed 26-Feb-20 11:31:46

At my son's wedding I wore a red dress to the dance afterwards. The band played "Lady in red" and now hearing it I always think of that lovely occasion, so long ago.

Mamma66 Wed 26-Feb-20 11:32:56

My lovely Mum had a wide and eclectic taste in music. If there was a piece of music she liked she would play it over and over again. I remember when Andrea Bocelli’s ‘Time to say goodbye’ came out, she loved it and must have played it 20 times a day for weeks. We had the Italian version at her funeral as I don’t think we could have coped with the English version. Still cried buckets. Now with the passage of time it brings back happier memories. As does ‘Ca plaine pour moi’ by Plastique Bertrand, I can still see Mum dancing her heart out in the kitchen to it. Happy days, what I wouldn’t give just to have an hour with her ❤️❤️❤️

Oopsminty Wed 26-Feb-20 11:36:31

Leonard Cohen - Dance Me to the End of Love

Amazing song

Willynilly Wed 26-Feb-20 11:36:48

Gold by Spandau Ballet. My DH during his last days would sit in his recliner, our 2 yr old DGD on his knee and they would ‘sing’ along to this as it belted out in the radio.
Be my love by Mario Lanza. Always reminds me of my dad who would try and match Mario’s singing talents.

sarahellenwhitney Wed 26-Feb-20 11:58:59

A hit in the 70's was the Carpenters 'Close to you ' Later came a Shirley Bassey hit 'Never, never ,never.'I was given
discs of these by a special person in my life at that time. I no longer have the discs but thankful for u tube where not only can I listen but watch these great artists and shed a few tears remembering 'what was, but never to be'.

Grannytwoshoes Wed 26-Feb-20 12:01:52

Hi Phoebes..thank you so much for your kind words. I felt she was sending me a message. It was 2008 a long time ago. But I never stop thinking of her and National Express help. Next time you see one have a look and think of your kind post. As I will think of your words when I see a coach.. something to cheer us at this rather bleak time x

missdeke Wed 26-Feb-20 12:07:43

All I really wanna do by the Byrds, Takes me back to the 60s, long blonde hair blowing in the wind, on the back of my boyfriend's motorbike. ( helmets were not compulsory
then).

Coconut Wed 26-Feb-20 12:08:10

Many songs over the years but just a few are ..... My eldest DS used to sing “ Chanson d’amour” at the top of his voice as soon as he could talk !
“isn’t SHE lovely” was playing as son no:2 was born, reminding me I’d have to have to go thro this all again to try for a girl !
GC loved James Bond films, and all used to sing “underneath the mango tree” together.
GS who lived with me and DD, every morning we used to dance round the kitchen and sing “how do you like your eggs in the morning” ... special memories.

kittylester Wed 26-Feb-20 12:10:05

lavederzen I love 'Your Song' as it is 'our' song.

Alexa Wed 26-Feb-20 12:24:44

Up wi' auld Hawick,

O the Borders the queen

Let fraternity roam

Ilka teri between

For lads leal and true

And lasses braw and fair.

There's nay a toon amang then a'

Can wi' oor toon compare.

Phloembundle Wed 26-Feb-20 12:35:50

Anything by America. They remind me of carefree, sunny weekends, taking off in the car to see some friends. The cassette player would be in the back seat of the car, which would get so hot that America would start to sound drunk. We would have to switch it off to cool it, then start over again.

Bridie22 Wed 26-Feb-20 13:17:21

Thank you for the days by Kirstie Mc Coll

Lilyflower Wed 26-Feb-20 13:29:02

'The Shadow of Your Smile' from the film 'The Sandpiper' has a haunting melody that always put a shiver down my spine. Likewise Dusty Springfield's 'If You Go Away'. 'The Windmills of Your Mind' is another such haunting song.

I have learned something about myself with this exercise. I had no idea I was so affected by melancholy tunes and lyrics.

Allsaints55 Wed 26-Feb-20 13:29:39

When Will I see You Again . The Three Degrees . I’ve loved it since I was 16 with my head full of love and romance . I played the 45 single over and over then in 1974 . And I had it played at my 60th . We still feel like the songs taking us all bAck to that time . I hate to say it but it must be played at my funeral . My poor sons feeling sad and wondering why such a strange song ?x

ananimous Wed 26-Feb-20 13:31:26

www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaVADOr8bQQ

ananimous Wed 26-Feb-20 13:39:09

Edmund Hockridge - Some Enchanted Evening

Kim19 Wed 26-Feb-20 13:52:32

Johnny Mathis - The Twelfth of Never and Nat King Cole - The very thought of you. They do it for me every time.

Coughdrop Wed 26-Feb-20 13:58:42

Mine and my husband's songs are "It's Getting Better" by Mama Cass and "The First Time ever I saw Your Face" by Roberta Flack. 2 songs that remind me of my 1st boyfriend are "Always on my Mind" Elvis Presley and "All the Time" by Johnny Mathis. Music has the power to transport us straight back doesn't it.