Gransnet forums

Chat

im a traveller, you are a tourist

(131 Posts)
petunia Wed 26-Feb-20 10:43:09

Headlines today, Prince Harry, flying in from Canada to host a conference on sustainable travel and ways for ordinary travellers to offset the damage that travel does. errrr

This is just the tip of the iceberg though. How often does some celeb preach that the lower orders should change their behaviour while the celeb continues to do the very thing that is causing the damage.

Anniebach Tue 03-Mar-20 22:09:12

William and Kate went to Ireland today for a 3 day official visit,
Megan flies in tomorrow, cameras are leaving Ireland to get
back for the junior family member . Good timing Megs

maddyone Tue 03-Mar-20 18:23:03

I think that’s sad too eazybee, he will have no family on either side, except Meghan’s mother, and since I heard that she’s been advising H+M I’ve lost respect for her.

eazybee Tue 03-Mar-20 17:20:53

I am saddened by the fact that Archie will probably grow up without knowing either side of his family; no grandparents, aunts, uncles or cousins in Britain or America.

NotSpaghetti Tue 03-Mar-20 17:07:56

No, I think you are right Jane about not seeing much of the baby but I expect they would like to see more of Prince Harry. Great-grandchildren are another step down the line and though no doubt you love them it surely is a little further removed.

I expect someone who has great-grandchildren will be able to enlighten us?

Jane10 Tue 03-Mar-20 16:55:02

I don't imagine they'd expect to see that baby for more than a formal visit. I don't see the Queen and Philip as very hands on great grandparents somehow. Or Charles for that matter. Tracey Ullman has infected the way I think about Camilla and her babysitting approach!

GeorgyGirl Tue 03-Mar-20 16:42:35

I feel so sorry for the Queen and Prince philip not being able to spend real time with Archie, It is so selfish of Harry and Meghan to keep him away from them and also his cousins. Such a shame and they are behaving so disrespectful towards the Queen.

eazybee Sat 29-Feb-20 12:27:31

Looking at it a different way, ordinary people taken hostage were murdered because the Government refused to pay a hostage. H & M protest that they want to be private people, are doing no public duties after March, therefore they should take fiscal responsibility for their own security. Harry can't help being the Queen's grandson, but he has very deliberately turned his back on being a working member of the royal family, with its attendant security, therefore he has to accept the consequences.

Calendargirl Sat 29-Feb-20 10:58:02

Yes, it’s one thing the tax payer paying for the security of the royals when they are living in this country and carrying out royal duties. It’s quite another when they are pretty much living abroad, and not working for the monarchy in any shape or form.
I’m sure they still need security as close relatives of the monarch, but need to dip into their own coffers to fund it.
This must all be a real headache for the Queen, Charles and William as they won’t want their own lifestyles brought into disrepute with the ongoing antics of H&M.

Anniebach Sat 29-Feb-20 10:53:26

Beatrice and Eugenie are also the Queens grandchildren, they
don’t carry out royal duties and we don’t pay for their security,

The Sussex pair are greedy, selfish, demanding and puffed up
with self importance.

SirChenjin Sat 29-Feb-20 10:45:50

grin maddyone. You’re spot on though - they’ve chosen to live a ‘quiet life’ in Canada, let them pay for their lifestyle choices as the rest of us do.

maddyone Sat 29-Feb-20 10:40:49

I’m sure that’s true, but it doesn’t stop H+M paying for the cost of it. As I have a professional pension aswell as a state pension, I still pay income tax, as do many pensioners, and we all pay 20% VAT on almost everything we buy. I don’t want to support H+ M through my taxes, to live an elongated holiday whilst moving regularly around the world, often on private jets, to give interviews and talks to wealthy people, earning themselves millions as they do. They are a complete joke with their constant whinging and whining and whilst I have no jurisdiction over how my taxes are spent, I’m beginning to resent this obscene amount of money being spent on them.
I used to be moderately supportive of the monarchy, but I’m beginning to wonder about it because of all this. It’s turning me off monarchy as a system, because the privileges can so easily be abused it seems.
I wish they’d go away and and live a private life with their multi million pound fortune, which is what they said they wanted.
Yours sincerely, Disgruntled of Gransnet.
Aka Maddyone/Maddy

Anniebach Sat 29-Feb-20 09:22:53

I spoke to someone , now retired, who was part of the Met
Security team, he said the same.

As the security team for the Sussex couple have to work in
Canada they fly home regularly so we pay for this too.

NotSpaghetti Sat 29-Feb-20 08:24:24

I heard a very experienced security guard on the radio yesterday. I think she said she was ex-police.

Regarding personal security she thought they should continue to have police protection. This is because private security is not allowed to carry weapons in the UK or Canada or quite a number of other countries.
Another reason she gave was that private security also has no "intelligence" sources regarding potential threats and no ability to "keep an eye on" known people who may be a threat as these are all police and governmental knowledge. Only police have certain investigative powers behind the scenes.

The reason the whole scenario is different to a close protection team for a celebrity, she says, is because like it or not, Harry will always be the Queen's grandson. As such he is also in a position where terrorists and international criminals may be interested in him.

She thinks we will have to go on paying for it.

Callistemon Fri 28-Feb-20 23:31:47

Probably merlotgran.

I hope they don't bring back the virus from their trips!

merlotgran Fri 28-Feb-20 23:29:50

If Coronavirus grounds everyone, Callistemon, they might understand what it's like not to be able to afford to go on one holiday a year let alone frequent trips abroad but I wonder if instead of rejoicing that there will be less air pollution, they'll complain about withdrawal symptoms. grin

Callistemon Fri 28-Feb-20 23:18:53

Some Greta supporters are bemoaning the fact that they could not be at her rally today because they are still on their holidays abroad. sad

Shizam Fri 28-Feb-20 23:17:02

Whole dynamic of climate change and air travel is against the poor and pro the wealthy. They can keep pointlessly flying around planet on business class for conferences and meetings they could skype. But you ‘little’ people must feel guilty for your charter trip to Spain or wherever once a year.

Anniebach Fri 28-Feb-20 19:38:56

There should be public outrage but if there was he would
start using his mother’s death and some will still see the child at the funeral not the arrogant, spoilt man child

TwiceAsNice Fri 28-Feb-20 18:20:58

I’ll see you behind the sofa in a minute, purely for the Bara Brith you understand , although it’s a close call between that and the Welsh cakes for a Welsh exile!

I haven’t actually flown for some years, gone on holiday by car, ferry, and coach, not sure if that’s better or not to be honest. I do resent entitled people telling me what I should and shouldn’t do, when they don’t follow the same rules. Cake and eat it comes to mind!

eazybee Fri 28-Feb-20 15:53:21

I was curious about who carried his luggage, unless it was all crammed into his backpack, which explains his dishevelled appearance.
I certainly resent the thought of paying goodness knows much for their security, ranging from £1 to £20 million (?); if they want to live private lives then they must shoulder responsibility for their safety, same as we do.
They really have not thought this through. He has no concept of supporting himself, let alone an extravagant wife, and child. and she thinks he is a cash cow, (if a male can be that). Are the American public so gullible that they will continue paying for the privilege of watching a not very bright man with limited experience and achievements telling them how to live their lives?
If this is H & M bashing, so be it.

SirChenjin Fri 28-Feb-20 15:39:19

Well said maddyone

merlotgran Fri 28-Feb-20 15:26:07

Well said, maddyone. We have quite enough to worry about as it is. They can easily afford their own security.

Harry has never lived in the real world he seems to crave. He really is dim if he thinks there will be no work or expense involved and you don't just sit back and watch the millions roll in as they do when you're a Royal.

Meghan knows that and that's why she married him. The problem is she wasn't prepared for the restrictions on her life that come with all the privileges.

I hope there is real outrage if we're expected to carry on paying for their security.

maddyone Fri 28-Feb-20 14:44:58

I hope he garners a few as possible on this theme because I take exception to being told what to do by Harry/Meghan, given their enormous carbon footprint re their flights, private jets, and now even taking a complete First Class train carriage for himself and his minders. Not to mention wanting all his/their security costs met by us now Canada has refused to pay post March 31st. If he can’t walk the walk, he shouldn’t talk the talk. He said he wants to live a private life like us mere mortals, then let him go off and live a quiet life with reduced air travel, no private jets, no being paid millions to give a talk about his mother to a group of millionaires, no use of millionaires private villas for free, no booking entire First Class train compartments, and if he wants security, let him and her pay for it out of their estimated 35 million fortune.
There are people in need in this country, people who’ve been flooded out, homeless people, people who have to wait for hospital treatment, people with a whole range of needs, lets spend our taxes on them., not on an entitled and spoilt man child, who thinks he can have just what he wants without doing anything for it.

SirChenjin Fri 28-Feb-20 11:41:27

No I wouldn’t be impressed at all - I’d presume it was set up to assuage the guilt of the air miles collectors.

eazybee Fri 28-Feb-20 09:08:00

Seriously, would you be impressed by this eco-friendly travel firm because Call-Me-Harry endorsed it?

I wonder how much they are paying, as they will be, in a discreetly hidden way, and how many future engagements he can garner through his rapidly dwindling prestige.