Gransnet forums

Chat

im a traveller, you are a tourist

(130 Posts)
petunia Wed 26-Feb-20 10:43:09

Headlines today, Prince Harry, flying in from Canada to host a conference on sustainable travel and ways for ordinary travellers to offset the damage that travel does. errrr

This is just the tip of the iceberg though. How often does some celeb preach that the lower orders should change their behaviour while the celeb continues to do the very thing that is causing the damage.

Jane10 Wed 26-Feb-20 10:47:33

There's a photo of him arriving at Waverley Station last night for his conference appearance. At least he took the train to Edinburgh. May be he rowed across from Canada?

vampirequeen Wed 26-Feb-20 11:02:18

How do you suggest he crosses the Atlantic if not by flying?

Jane10 Wed 26-Feb-20 11:26:46

Did he need to appear at all?

Septimia Wed 26-Feb-20 11:32:08

He could have Skyped....

pinkquartz Wed 26-Feb-20 11:41:29

Well if the coronavirus keeps going a lot of travel will have to stop.
Perhaps it is Nature's Way of telling us to stop the rampant travelling?

Sussexborn Wed 26-Feb-20 11:42:48

Couldn’t he have used some kind of live link satellite camera?

It would be setting an example and a significant step forward. When OH took over a private hire chauffeur co I was amazed how many people spend so much of their life travelling. They fly out to one country and fly back from a totally different part of the world.

Most are quite excited initially but that wears off quite quickly when they wake up in the morning and can’t remember what country they are in. Most had young families which can’t have been easy for the partner or the children.

annsixty Wed 26-Feb-20 12:00:14

It said on google news that Harry flew in on a private jet.
Do as I say and not as I do springs to mind.
I wonder if he will stay until the commitments that he and Meghan have here in March or if he will fly back and then return with her.

sodapop Wed 26-Feb-20 12:01:26

I wondered that too Sussexborn did he really have to be there in person. The same goes for all the leaders jetting off to exotic locations for their conferences.

Yehbutnobut Wed 26-Feb-20 12:14:43

When the British public turn on you they don’t do it in half measures, do they?

merlotgran Wed 26-Feb-20 12:22:26

I think we are surreptitiously being told to 'suck it up.' If they want to jet here and there they'll just do it and claim 'carbon offsetting' - whatever that really is.

I wonder if Meghan will bring Archie with her so his great grandparents will be able to see him?

Philip probably won't have many more chances.

petunia Wed 26-Feb-20 12:34:00

I don't think I was particularly blaming Prince Harry, more the rich and famous jetting here there and everywhere. As it happened id just read an article about him and it sparked the thought.

We have an amazing high tech world, surely most of this conference stuff could be online-video conferencing, Skype etc.
In this instance, had Prince Harry declined a trip across the ocean and set up a video conference, how wonderful that would have been. What a fabulous example.

annsixty Wed 26-Feb-20 12:37:19

Latest news ” just call me Harry” flew on a commercial flight and travelled by train from London.

What can we believe from journalists?

merlotgran Wed 26-Feb-20 12:41:08

He's here for some engagements over the next two days, petunia. Meghan isn't due to be here until March 5th but as that's only a week away you'd have thought they could have travelled together. hmm

Jane10 Wed 26-Feb-20 12:47:19

I wonder if she's coming. Who cares if she turns up or not!

Sussexborn Wed 26-Feb-20 12:48:34

The more people use the available technology the better it will become. The cost of these conferences must be phenomenal.

SirChenjin Wed 26-Feb-20 13:11:28

I agree with everyone who says he should have Skyped (or similar) into the event.

If people like Harry want to affect change then they need to set an example. There needs to be a complete culture change in the way we view flying from meeting to meeting - it shouldn’t be seen as something that says ‘I have an important job that needs me to be in far flung places’. The technology is there, it’s time to use it.

Calendargirl Wed 26-Feb-20 14:13:55

This conference is perhaps just one reason why he’s here.
He could still be meeting family and officials hammering out further details of his and Meghan’s future.
I expect there’s still stuff to be sorted.

merlotgran Wed 26-Feb-20 14:16:37

I don't see why Meghan couldn't have travelled with him which would save tax payers' money in terms of security.

If they're going to do things separately we're paying for double the security detail.

allium Wed 26-Feb-20 14:29:04

They won't stop jetting in and out and away for the 5/6 exotic holidays a year any time soon ✈️????

SueDonim Wed 26-Feb-20 14:30:57

I was castigated here on GN last week for taking an annual (more like once every two years, in fact) flight to the US to see my family. I was pretty much told to suck it up and accept that I should no longer see my son and his family.

Let’s see the ‘influencers’ making changes to their lifestyle before condemning ordinary folk like my family.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 26-Feb-20 15:17:01

We spent our working life looking forward to visiting places in the world that we hadn't visited with our children.

Until these so called climate influencers stop flying here there and everywhere preaching to us what we should do We shall enjoy our retirement as we wish.

(My tin hat is on and I am hiding behind the sofa)

SueDonim Wed 26-Feb-20 15:43:30

Can I join you behind the sofa, GrannyGravy? I’ll bring my colander to wear! grin

GrannyGravy13 Wed 26-Feb-20 15:48:52

SueDonim it’s a big sofa and you are most welcome wink

pinkquartz Wed 26-Feb-20 15:59:13

if the virus keeps going then the travel will stop