Gransnet forums

Chat

BBC presenters!

(83 Posts)
Oldwoman70 Fri 28-Feb-20 07:33:57

Listening to local radio this morning two presenters were talking about various news items. The first one mentioned that scientists had discovered there had been a "big bang" thousands of light years away from us

2nd presenter: well you know what happened after the first big bang

1st presenter: what?

2nd presenter: it wiped out the dinosaurs!!!!!!!!!!

I wish I could say she was joking but based on her previous comments I'm afraid she wasn't.

Alexa Fri 13-Mar-20 10:20:18

I know what you mean, Varian. I am Scottish by birth and rearing so I can do glottal stops nay bother. The "pause" is actually a partly inhibited glottal stop.

varian Thu 12-Mar-20 20:38:05

glottal, not global

varian Thu 12-Mar-20 20:37:31

I would call that a pause, not a glottal stop.

A global stop would be saying bu-err instead of butter.

Alexa Wed 11-Mar-20 23:05:05

Varian, I prefer the glottal stop for keeping e.g. 'Samba' separated from 'and rumba'. There is no such dance as a sambar.

varian Tue 10-Mar-20 17:38:21

Alexa I don't think the glottal stop has any place in good pronunciation. Do you?

FindingNemo15 Mon 09-Mar-20 16:40:51

I mainly listen to LBC, especially Sheila F. and Steve Allen who is very tongue in cheek. Used to watch Eggheads (just heard that Dave from Manchester has died), but now watch the Chase as we find Bradley very natural.

Alexa Mon 09-Mar-20 15:58:40

Varian: "Why put an 'r' in where there isn't one?" Some people such as TV presenters who ought to know better are unable to pronounce the glottal stop.

Callistemon Sat 07-Mar-20 15:35:24

Yes, felice!

The more you say it though, the odder and more wrong it sounds even if it's right.

Riverwalk Sat 07-Mar-20 15:21:30

I too heard that arky-pelargo!

It jumped out at me and thought I was hearing things but she then repeated it grin

I can only assume she's never actually heard it pronounced before - can't think why the producer didn't correct her!

felice Sat 07-Mar-20 15:10:02

Arki-pel-ago.

varian Sat 07-Mar-20 12:53:49

Why put an 'r' in where there isn't one?

Callistemon Sat 07-Mar-20 12:25:00

Sorry, I did put pellar but pronounced as peller rather than emphasising the ar, not as in 'hard'

Iyswim

Callistemon Sat 07-Mar-20 12:22:29

But perhaps I'm not posh
grin

Sparklefizz Sat 07-Mar-20 12:20:20

I always thought it was pronounced Arcky - PEL- a - go

Callistemon Sat 07-Mar-20 12:20:06

I pronounce it

Ark i (short i) pellar go
With the emphasis on the pell

MerylStreep Sat 07-Mar-20 12:08:55

Have I been pronouncing the word Archipelago wrong. I don't think so but a person on From our own correspondent has pronounced it Archy- pel- largo. Not just once, but twice.
Are there 2 ways of pronouncing the word?

annodomini Thu 05-Mar-20 19:32:40

I have tutored a number of students from years 9 - 11, in English Lang and Lit. Whenever I mention an episode in English or World history, I always get blank looks. They seem to learn all about World War 2 in secondary school and in primary school, they do a series of 'topics' - eg Egypt, Rome, The Vikings. They rarely know the context of these topics, within a time-line. I loved History when I was at school and appreciated that it was a continuum which doesn't seem to get through to these youngsters.

varian Thu 05-Mar-20 19:15:39

It was, but was derailed by an ultra right wing brexiter trying to score silly points.

Lucca Thu 05-Mar-20 18:40:17

Nope.still don’t get it, I thought it was thread about irritating presenters/ignorant celebrities.

varian Thu 05-Mar-20 18:39:01

That's coming from a Tory- Jeremy Paxman, like most of the BBC political staff he is so brexitty right wing that he sees everyone else as "leftie remainers".

The BBC, because it is based in London, has become socially liberal - most staff would, for instance have supported equal marriage.

However the people who matter in the political content have always been right wing, and in the last four years extremely pro-brexit.

The Brexit Broadcasting Corporation has a lot to answer for.

MerylStreep Thu 05-Mar-20 16:15:13

A quote from Jeramy Paxman.
if you asked me what the politics of most people at the BBC are I should say most people voted to remain most people were Labour/Liberal Democrats with a small i

Lucca Thu 05-Mar-20 15:56:57

What has politics got to do with quiz show /magazine presenters ?

varian Thu 05-Mar-20 13:15:56

Who are all these "Leftie Remainers" who work for the Brexit Broadcasting Corporation?

Are you talking about Laura Kuenssberg, Andrew Neil, Nick Robinson, John Humphries, Jeremy Paxman etc?

MerylStreep Thu 05-Mar-20 11:57:47

Quizqueen ? I got it and I would imagine other posters did.

Lucca Thu 05-Mar-20 11:53:10

? I genuinely do not understand what you mean Quizqueen