Gransnet forums

Chat

Modern Beds too High up to climb into.

(55 Posts)
JuliaM Fri 28-Feb-20 11:33:36

Does anyone else find that modern beds are far too high up to be able to comfortably climb into? Im not exactly a short person at 5ft 5ins, although l only have a 27inch inside leg measurement andsufferfrom Arthritis in my knee.
I have given up staying in places like the Premier inns, l either need to carry a small half step to get into bed which is not ideal, or end up sleeping on the bed settee which is designed for children and not very comfortable.
Looking around the bed stores, this trend for high up beds is a common one, my own bed base isa metal one and over 20yrs old, even with an extra deep mattress on it, it still manages to be at a reasonable height.

Callistemon Sat 29-Feb-20 10:04:04

I would probably trip over the footstool, grandtante!

Jaycee5 Sat 29-Feb-20 10:08:13

I bought a drawer divan which is too high and has a memory foam mattress which I am not keen on. It isn't that I can't get on it but I feel that I am climbing into it. I had a drawer divan before which wasn't as high.
It isn't really old enough to justify replacing it but if I came into money I would replace that and my dryer which is also too big (I bought it before the washer and didn't realise that it was the wrong size).

Alexa Sat 29-Feb-20 10:30:05

It could be a problem for me as osteoporosis has made me short. If it became a real problem I would saw the legs off.

HannahLoisLuke Sat 29-Feb-20 10:32:14

The Imea Malm bed is really low, 19" from top if mattress to the floor.
I'm 5'9" so it took some getting used to at first. I was setting up home after marriage breakdown and needed the cheapest bed I could find. That was the sturdiest, cheapest one. I've since changed the mattress for a better one and I'm perfectly happy with it. Had to buy a vacuum that would clean underneath it without having to take off the mattress and slats as the base is only 5" above the floor.

HannahLoisLuke Sat 29-Feb-20 10:32:43

IKEA not Imea.

rowanflower0 Sat 29-Feb-20 10:34:06

Low beds are a problem for me, since my stroke, they even sell 'risers' in disability shops for that purpose!

Barmeyoldbat Sat 29-Feb-20 10:35:29

I am 5ft 5in and have no problem with beds, also have a dodgy knees and back. In fact I love the Premier Inn beds I find them very comfortable. You need to find a different way of getting into bed

Bijou Sat 29-Feb-20 10:35:32

I have a half step then sit on the edge of the bed with bed clothes turned back then swing my legs over on to the bed and the shuffle into the middle of my double bed. Have to have high bed and chairs.

icanhandthemback Sat 29-Feb-20 11:23:26

My Mum complains about this all the time. She was 5' 1" and seems to get shorter all the time. She is now quite weak in her legs so sliding off the bed regularly causes falls and it is quite worrying. She went for the lowest adjustable bed she could find and she still struggles.

WOODMOUSE49 Sat 29-Feb-20 11:40:56

Me too grandMattie. I'm 6'1" and love my high back sofa and chair.

Have a low bed and cope like it. Until I had a hip replacement and hospital said it was too low. I moved into the spare room (higher) with DH of course for four weeks.

Purplepoppies Sat 29-Feb-20 12:23:18

My mum is having the same problem. We bought her www.argos.co.uk/product/5728552 this .

Joesoap Sat 29-Feb-20 15:52:19

I am 5´ 2" have a dodgy hip, have a high bed, but manage quite well I push the mattress down a bit, to sit on the bed, then I lie on my side then roll over,it takes time but it works, alas no more jumping into bed.

harrigran Sat 29-Feb-20 16:45:24

Most of the beds that we have looked at have storage compartments underneath and that makes them a little higher.
Since being really poorly I have adjusted the way I get into bed, sit on the edge and then lift legs up and lie back, least pull on the tummy muscles.

CarrieAnn Sat 29-Feb-20 19:05:35

I to struggle with the height of hotel beds,I can't physically reach the darn things as the bed is about 6 inches higher than my bum, I'm only 5'1.We don't go away now as I need to get up several times in the night and have to wake my other half to get me back in.

glammagran Sat 29-Feb-20 21:53:39

We bought an expensive dark wood sleigh bed from Laura Ashley with matching furniture a few years ago. It wasn’t until it was in situ that we realised it is actually quite a low bed compared with our previous bed now in the spare room. I much prefer a bed with some height.

chrissie13 Sat 29-Feb-20 22:07:56

I'm only 4'11" but I've never found high beds a problem.

Bathsheba Sat 29-Feb-20 22:34:00

My DH once measured the matress height of a brand new hotel bed and it was a whopping 36inches off the floor

Please tell me you’re joking - this really is too silly for words! I’ve stayed in a lot of hotels and I have never come across these high beds you speak of. They have always been in what I would call a normal height range - and I’m fairly short at 5’4”. Maybe I’ve just been lucky? hmm

glammanana Sat 29-Feb-20 22:53:07

Does anyone know where a fitted sheet with valance can be bought for a extra deep mattress and high bed ?
I have extra deep fitted sheets from Dunelm and JL but can't find sheets with attached valance trim,I know I could just buy the divan trim but the mattress is too heavy for me to lift every week to change a trim.

JuliaM Sat 29-Feb-20 23:24:19

No Bathsheba, I’m not joking, hence we had to go and buy the step to enable me to get into bed. The Hotel belonged to the Marstons chain, the bed was actually two singles zipped together to form a Double, so very little space down the side to allow for any real swinging into bed. We even asked at reception if they had any suggestions or provided steps to help guests into bed, but they didn’t. There wasn’t even the option to sleep on the lower level bed settee like there is in Premier inn rooms. I have never booked into a Disabled room, although l do have a Blue Badge and use a mobility scooter due to severe Arthritis in my knees and a back injury from my nursing days, l don’t need a raised toilet, but likewise l cannot climb up into a high sided bath, and request a room with a walk in shower where possible, so maybe a Disabled room may be the way to go if ever l decide to visit a hotel in the future, l just hope they don’t have plastic mattress covers on those beds though, my Husbands number one Pet hate!

Callistemon Sat 29-Feb-20 23:39:16

Julia we spent one night in a airport hotel belonging to a well-known chain and there was about 4 inches between the side of the bed and the wall! Of course, it had to be my side.

I had to shufty off in the middle of the night when I needed the loo then wriggle backwards back on again.

Callistemon Sat 29-Feb-20 23:40:56

glammanan I don't change the divan trim every week, I didn't realise that anyone would.

annep1 Sun 01-Mar-20 00:39:20

I didn't change my valance every week either. I changed it when it looked like it needed washed. Modern beds have nice bases- no need for a valance thankfully.

Phloembundle Sun 01-Mar-20 07:23:39

Myers do lower bed bases if you have divan. Don't know about other frames in general.

grannypiper Sun 01-Mar-20 07:43:54

I am 5'2'' with a dodgy knee,hip and back and i have never had a problem with high beds. Our bed is high as DH is very tall and has a bad hip and pelvis. If a bed is too low i cant get out of it without rolling out onto ny knees.

Rufus2 Sun 01-Mar-20 08:30:32

Evening All; Recently bought a hospital bed for home use.! Marvellous! King Size single, extra length, width and hand- held remote controller to raise/lower in horizontal position, raise head or feet independently. All part of my Govt. Senior's "package"! wink
What I need next to complete the "hospital" theme is a strap/handle to hang over the bed, but I'll need a structural engineer's inspection first to ensure I don't pull the ceiling down! shock
OoRoo