Gransnet forums

Chat

Cinema visit - yes or no?(another Covid-19 related thread-sorry)

(83 Posts)
MotherHubbard Tue 03-Mar-20 09:20:17

I just wonder what other Grans think about going to the cinema at the moment? I am supposed to be going on Wednesday but after listening to a rather scary debate on Covid-19 last night I am feeling a bit apprehensive about it. My husband, who has cancer, thinks I am being ridiculous which has made me feel like I’m overreacting as does the friend we are meeting there who is over eighty and herself suffers from numerous medical conditions including asthma. I know we are highly unlikely to come into contact with the virus as there have been no cases in our area yet but I think cinemas are ideal places to spread germs so am interested in what others are doing - I’m usually quite easy going about things.

Maxblank Tue 03-Mar-20 11:38:50

For god's sake, exactly how old do.you want to live to?

Go to the bloody cinema and stop being so bloody daft. If you're THAT concerned wear a face mask (not that it actually helps that much).

Even during the war we went to the cinema, but now you're worried about being old n dying! ?

Stop the stupidness and go out and have fun.

What will be, will be, whether you prepare for it or not.

hapgran Tue 03-Mar-20 11:47:08

39 cases in uk so surely risk low at the mo...

Madwoman11 Tue 03-Mar-20 11:48:04

Cancer patients especially those having chemotherapy have to be vigilant in avoiding any virus or such as their immune system is compromised.
It's a matter of common sense, and also a personal choice. I personally would err on caution based on what you have said

DoraMarr Tue 03-Mar-20 11:59:26

Go, the risk in the UK is very low at the moment. This virus could be around for a while, and current virologists modelling suggests it will peak in three to four months, but no- one knows what that peak may be. At the moment it is contained. Are you going to self- isolate for that long? It’s important to remember that 99% of people who catch it will recover.

Dorsetcupcake61 Tue 03-Mar-20 12:04:36

I think it's so difficult at the moment. Online news are full of panic inducing headlines for articles that contain very little new information. I do however feel that there is a contradiction between it's a virus most people will shake off and the intense disinfection seen in areas it's been found!
I'm 58 and a type 2 diabetic. I still work and dont drive so use public transport.
I feel all I can do is be aware. Wash hands . Dont touch face. Use pen to press buttons on lifts/ATMs. I work with older people in a nursing home who are probably more at risk from me!
There are no confirmed cases in Dorset but I think for a while I will avoid crowds/cinemas/restaurants etc though.

Coconut Tue 03-Mar-20 12:06:02

Last month I bought tickets to see a show on Thursday night for a friends birthday. We are going to a Thai restaurant first and have made the decision to just go ahead with our plans.

Kryptonite Tue 03-Mar-20 12:06:26

Perhaps look at some online reviews and see if you think it's worth the bother anyway. They've not been all that impressive. But much more importantly, please don't let your husband risk his health going into peopled areas at the moment, it's just not worth it (been in this situation myself). Have you got Netflix or Amazon Prime? Plenty to watch on there. Perhaps order some DVDs. Lots of Austen out there if that's your special interest. Why not create a 'cinema at home experience' for the two of you!

GoldenAge Tue 03-Mar-20 12:10:49

None of us has any immunity to COVID-19. Those of us over 60, 70, and 80 are cumulatively more vulnerable than others. Those people with compromised immunity and that includes cancer patients, are also more vulnerable. We have no way of knowing who may be carrying the virus and one particular case only emerged with symptoms 30+ after contact with someone who had it. You need to work out for yourselves whether you would go to the cinema or the theatre - or in my case, take a tube. Maybe if I lived out in the sticks somewhere I would remain blaze about the whole thing, but living in London presents a whole different situation and I would definitely not be in a cinema or theatre at the moment.

sodapop Tue 03-Mar-20 12:11:10

I would go to the afternoon showing where its less busy MotherHubbard however I would be more concerned about your eighty year old friend with asthma, probably not a good idea for her.

MotherHubbard Tue 03-Mar-20 12:30:43

Thanks for all the replies Grans(apart from Maxblank’s amusing but unhelpful contribution, someone having a bad day maybe?). Will probably go, but as suggested to an afternoon showing which will probably be less busy. Have a day trip out to York on Thursday which I’m not too concerned about- I suppose it’s a case of keep calm and carry on ?

vampirequeen Tue 03-Mar-20 12:33:31

Don't put your life on hold for something that may or may not happen. If you're going to catch the bug then you will at some point whether you try to avoid it or not.

JackyB Tue 03-Mar-20 12:38:17

I had an afternoon to kill yesterday in Cambridge and went to see the David Copper field film (hilarious!)

There were 4 of us spread over the huge screening room.

I'm more worried that my flight home on Sunday will be cancelled.

harrigran Tue 03-Mar-20 12:46:43

DH with cancer and I have a lowered immune system we tend to give cinemas a miss these days.
I think it is up to each individual as to what they avoid, I certainly give people who are coughing and sneezing a two metre gap.
We all have to shop so I sanitise my hands as soon as I get back in the car, shopping trolleys are never nice.

Debs551964 Tue 03-Mar-20 12:51:57

VERY IMPORTANT......
Hand sanitisers MUST be AT LEAST 60% Alcohol based. This was advise given to me by my local pharmacist. I have a compromised immune system.

DoraMarr Tue 03-Mar-20 12:57:54

This is a useful summary of Johnson’s press conference with two experts:
www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/mar/03/coronavirus-live-updates-china-latest-news-us-australia-deaths-markets-italy-iran-update-cases-italy-south-korea-japan

It was reassuring to see Johnson deferring to Prof Whitty and Sir Patrick Vallance. I thought he showed good leadership (and I am not usually a fan.) Contrast with Trump’s presser on the Coronavirus yesterday, where he didn’t seem to understand the difference between a vaccine and a cure, and where he had to be corrected on some points.

rowanflower0 Tue 03-Mar-20 12:58:08

I think that the chances of encountering someone with the virus are very low at the moment - and WILL be going to my U3A annual dinner on Thursday, with 132 others, but think that we must be prepared to adapt our behavior as circumstances change, as they almost certainly will within a few weeks.

NannyG123 Tue 03-Mar-20 14:19:40

I went to the theatre on Saturday. Just made sure I washed my hands more. And put my sleeve over my hand when touching handles. But I think we just have to be more careful, not paranoid. Go to the cinema MotherHubbard, and enjoy thr film

25Avalon Tue 03-Mar-20 15:03:26

If you go I don't think you are going to enjoy it as you are already apprehensive. We can all whistle in the dark and take what precautions we can but at the end of the day the risk of serious illness and even death to people over 60, over 70 and over 80 and anyone with poor health if they should catch coronavirus is high. You may not think it is in your area but it is popping up everywhere. Some employers are telling their workers not to travel to meetings in London unless they are unavoidable.
You must decide what the risks are where you are and act accordingly. But please also consider everyone else where you are.

Petalpop Tue 03-Mar-20 15:07:26

Telegraph on line say 51 confirmed cases now. My husband has bad asthma and even with a common cold finds it hard to breath so myself I would not risk it. I thought our town would be ok for a while but a visitor to offices here has been confirmed positive and thankfully my daughter in law is out of that office on maternity leave. You just never know. I see that people that have died in Italy have been 63 and upwards, I don't want my spouse to make the numbers up here. You have to make your own choices and if your husband is ok with it then go.

craftyone Tue 03-Mar-20 15:08:19

10 feet range for a sneeze, some people sneeze and only then take their hankie out, afterwards. How many rows behind is that? Washing hands will not prevent covid in that case, just breathing is enough to become infected from a sneeze

Phoebes Tue 03-Mar-20 15:26:43

I remember the swine flu outbreak about 10 years ago. I don’t think there was such widespread doom and gloom about it. In fact, our daughter caught it right at the end of her college term and had to stay in her college room alone until she got better. We wanted to bring her home, but she stuck it out. We did go and visit her though and didn’t think about the possible outcome if we caught it. We didn’t and eventually she was well enough to come home.
By all account, the Coronavirus is milder than the swine flu. I’m a bit worried about it, being elderly and asthmatic and just recovering from a nasty chest infection, but it’s impossible to live like a hermit, so, apart from avoiding crowded places, we are just carrying on as normal unless we get advice to the contrary. What else can you do?

HurdyGurdy Tue 03-Mar-20 16:17:49

The issue I have is that if everyone stays at home, the impact on businesses is going to be catastrophic. They are already predicting a recession because of this virus, and it's not just a UK recession.

I understand that those who are in a higher risk category are going to be more cautious, but I think we need to put it all into perspective - under 100 cases in the entire country. And none fatal that I am aware of.

Personally, I would go. But I've always had the view that our time on earth is already decided at the moment of our birth, and if it's your time to go - go you will.

So you may avoid a trip to a theatre, or a party, or cinema, whatever, to keep youself safe from Corona, but could choke on a biscuit at home, or trip downstairs.

grandtanteJE65 Tue 03-Mar-20 16:19:36

I wouldn't go. It makes no sense to say there are no cases in your area as the virus spreads before people manifest symptoms.

I feel you have enough ill health to cope with your husband's cancer. He probably feels you need to get out and enjoy yourself, which is fair enough, but I wouldn't run the risk in your place.

DoraMarr Tue 03-Mar-20 16:43:21

There are 51 confirmed cases in the UK. The total population is 67,770,309. If you take precautions, like washing your hands, you will probably be fine, especially if you don’t live in an area where there have been confirmed cases. We all face common viruses every day. Don’t forget, where the Coronavirus has been most prevalent, in China and Italy, not everyone who has been in contact with it has caught it. I think we need to keep a sense of proportion.

GrannySomerset Tue 03-Mar-20 16:46:26

Spare a thought for all the businesses which will suffer and collapse if we all decide not to go anywhere or do anything. I think this virus will make 2008 look positively trouble-free if it really does last for months, and as for the effect on our mental health if we are all confined to home .......