Gransnet forums

Chat

I have decided to enjoy myself.......

(149 Posts)
AGAA4 Tue 03-Mar-20 15:38:51

As I am in a high risk group for Covid19 and it appears to be spreading, I have decided I am going to enjoy myself. Not putting myself at risk and taking advice on hand washing etc I will do things I want to do.
So far I have had a pleasant lunch with friends, a long walk in the countryside and have not said no to cakes and chocolate! not very adventurous I know. What would other GNs do while we wait for this virus to hopefully pass?

AGAA4 Wed 04-Mar-20 15:56:52

Thanks for all the posts. Glad nobody is getting caught up in this media frenzy. If we took too much notice of the news we would all be afraid to go out anywhere there were other people!

Grandma2213 Thu 05-Mar-20 04:10:08

Pretty much normal here too though am delighted that DGC are washing their hands properly rather than sticking fingers quickly under the tap. I don't see how anti bacterial hand wipes/lotion will help seeing as it's a virus.

I also have extra food in as DC and DGC often turn up and need to be fed. Sorry but I always have extra toilet rolls, soap powder, soap etc in as I tend to buy them when on offer and stockpile.

Although I am in a high risk group (old) like many others I am more concerned about family than me, two DC are self employed and of course young DGC are mixing with others in schools and clubs where there is close physical contact.

harrigran Thu 05-Mar-20 08:04:59

When we went shopping yesterday we used wipes to clean the trolley handle, probably a good idea during cough and cold season anyway.
My only worry would be if the company that provides my medical equipment had to close, would I get supplies that are delivered straight to my home.

JenniferEccles Thu 05-Mar-20 09:52:56

All this extra hand washing has made my hands very dry.
I wondered if shops would be short of hand cream but there were plenty of bottles in the supermarket.

SueH49 Thu 05-Mar-20 10:19:08

Dogs can actually contract Corona virus =- it has been around for years and some owners regularly vaccinate their dogs. however, it is a different strain.

mumagain Thu 05-Mar-20 10:25:09

High risk as well still working , at hospital today with a load of other high riskers have to use bus and train - life goes on !!!!

Kartush Thu 05-Mar-20 10:28:39

We are just doing what we always do, no major changes. Funniest thing though, people here are panic buying toilet paper. We went to do our usual grocery shop today and not a roll to be found in any of the three supermarkets. Evidently people are terrified of running out of loo roll......and baked beans.

Nannan2 Thu 05-Mar-20 10:28:45

My family say im always stock piling as im always overbuying??

Nona4ever Thu 05-Mar-20 10:29:39

I live in Haslemere - apparently one of the epicentres of the virus. I’m afraid I’m rather using it as an excuse to hunker down and go nowhere - not because of fear of contact but because of the bloody awful weather.

Stella14 Thu 05-Mar-20 10:30:08

This morning the Chief Medical Officer stated that we have moved from the containment stage to the delay stage. He also said that older adults and those with relevant pre-existing health conditions, should engage in a form of social isolation until it’s over. Hubby and I are taking that seriously. As the spring arrives we will work in and enjoy our garden, take lovely walk in the woods and by the sea with our dogs and avoid public spaces. It is, after all, only for a few months.

Nannan2 Thu 05-Mar-20 10:30:25

I already have enough loo roll to last 6mnths!(bought extra last year,by mistake,thinking id run out??

Marjgran Thu 05-Mar-20 10:36:25

Surprised by the posters putting the anxiety down to “media frenzy”. May depend on what you read! My children have many doctors in their peer group, and the briefings medics are getting are scary. Being partly disabled, with one adult child who gets very unwell if ill, I am apprehensive, and I have bought a few extra supplies - painkillers, loo rolls, tissues, long life milk, pasta and sauce etc

Theoddbird Thu 05-Mar-20 10:37:17

There are no cases where I live. I do have a wedding to go to at end of month. People from all over plus a night in a hotel. I am slightly concerned. Will not shake hands with new people. My hands together as if praying and a nod of head...a style of greeting I love. Maybe we should all adopt it.

Tillybelle Thu 05-Mar-20 10:39:33

Just washing hands a lot - although I always do because of my medical background and currently living with dogs! Keeping an ear out for any updates about what we should do. Not stockpiling!! No need to change my social life it's pretty isolated already! So life is pretty much as usual I'd say. I'm also in a high risk group yet for some reason I feel very calm about this.

Good luck Grans and Grandpas. I think our generation will approach this with more equanimity than most. A kind of been there done that attitude!

Teacheranne Thu 05-Mar-20 10:41:17

People are also buying bottles water, my local shop has sold out. Any idea why? I can't imagine our water supply being affected but am I missing something? They have also run out of paracetamol which does concern me as I rely on a monthly prescription of 200 tablets for pain control. I heard on the news last night that most generic paracetamol comes from India and they have supply problems due to the virus. I hope my chemist has a good stock pile.

Nannan2 Thu 05-Mar-20 10:41:26

I worry about my GC in school,and my own 2 youngest boys (21& almost 17) in university& college- because most of them have a medical problem/health condition of some sort or another,and young 'uns arent renowned for extra cleanliness usually.My 21yr old wont use hand sanitiser gel either as he doesnt like how it feels,it feels too 'sticky' & hes got issues with certain textures.??

NannyG123 Thu 05-Mar-20 10:45:40

I'm low risk, and carrying on as normal. Just washing my hands more and for longer. And yesterday found myself singing God save the queen( in my head.). ?

CarlyD7 Thu 05-Mar-20 10:48:35

I've definitely had "something" this week - dry cough and temperature, and just not feeling right BUT I just took high doses of vitamin C (10g) every day (a great anti-bacterial and anti-viral agent) and used 2 drops of iodine in water as a gargle. The next day the cough was gone. Still don't feel back to normal, so am continuing with Vitamin C. Staying at home for the moment as don't want to infect anyone-else (with whatever it is). I DO think that the media are in a feeding frenzy over this and not in a helpful way.

grandmaz Thu 05-Mar-20 10:50:04

I so admire all of you Gransnetters who are not letting this take over their lives. I'm unfortunately a really anxious person, always have been and I am terrified. I live alone, I have asthma and a heart rhythm disorder and its taken me five weeks just now to get over another viral chest infection - still breathless, still exhausted. Not helped because the fear of this has me waking at between 0300 and 0400 all knotted up with anxiety and very tearful. I don't know what to do to moderate my over reaction. I've had pneumonia on several occasions and each time its been a hospital admission. My adult children keep telling me not to believe all the media stuff but there must be some truth in it. I have cancelled my holiday in May, to Majorca, stopped my voluntary work and choir for the time being. I'm still needed for after school childcare though, so I need to get a grip and get on with it . Just wish it was as easy as having a stern word with myself...I'll frighten myself to death at this rate. sad

Smileless2012 Thu 05-Mar-20 10:55:03

grandmazflowers do try not to work yourself up into a frenzy. It sounds as if you've taken some sensible precautions and I hope doing so gives you some peace of mind.

HannahLoisLuke Thu 05-Mar-20 10:56:14

I'm high risk too, compromised immune system due to steroids, lung problems, pre diabetic and old!

I'm doing normal day to day stuff, but I have ducked out of my weekly quiz night at the pub and wondering whether to cut my Tai Chi class for a while, all that deep breathing!
Would like to go to the cinema to see Emma but am dithering.
When out I wear gloves and wash my hands on return as well as numerous other times throughout the day. Getting through a lot if hand cream to counteract the drying effect.

Laurensnan Thu 05-Mar-20 10:58:19

44Mapleleaf I agree with all of what you've said. I think the media are having a field day ...like they did with swine flu and SARS etc. The time to worry was the AIDS fear in the 1980's when that first appeared. 98% death rate with no idea how it was spreading. Now that was panic! Thankfully they found the way it was spread and now have treatment to save people with it. I read someone that the Corona virus has already started to mutate become less harmful. It's an extra flu to be concerned about which we don't need but I hate that the media make a frenzy about it. Those that worry a lot will find this so hard and it's not fair for the media to do it.

Matelda Thu 05-Mar-20 10:59:58

There was a scared about water supplies the last time around - was it swine flu? Apparently the entire water supply is dependent on a small number of key workers and if they are sick then supplies may be affected. Probably that bottleneck has been fixed now. I had fifty litres stored in every nook and cranny round the house, until I finally poured it down the drain for fear of it being affected by the plastic in the bottles. Some of us definitely overthink these things!

Harmonygranny Thu 05-Mar-20 11:01:18

Yes3 Nanny6. My thought was that bringing elderly BY A staff out of retirement is totally impractical. They might soon be needing care for the virus themselves!

mrsjonesy Thu 05-Mar-20 11:05:34

We have just booked theatre tickets for a matinee through one of those deals websites. Really looking forward to it. Its next week and we'll just pop in and out of town and wear gloves.