Gransnet forums

Chat

Who loves a clothes catologue?

(21 Posts)
DanniRae Wed 04-Mar-20 13:10:10

When I returned from shopping earlier I had plans to do some housework - and then have my lunch and relax.
BUT noooooooo! What happened?
Well there on the mat as I opened the front door ^was a catologue from a clothes company that I really like. Every other thought left my brain - I picked it up, walked into my living to my favourite chair and was lost in a world of beautiful summer clothes........grin
I haven't ordered anything yet but I sure had fun looking through it. Yes, I LOVE a catologue.
Am I alone?

DanniRae Wed 04-Mar-20 13:11:58

I should of put "living room"!! blush

SirChenjin Wed 04-Mar-20 13:14:14

No, you're not alone - I love a clothes catalogue too! I used to go through my mum's Kay's Catalogue with my sister when we were younger and spend hours choosing clothes from the women's section that we'd take if we were going holiday as grown ups. I have to confess I still do similar with my lovely Boden catalogue grin

CherryCezzy Wed 04-Mar-20 13:53:05

I remember the Kay's catalogue and loved doing a very similar thing to you SirChenjin, only I was a teenager when I was doing that and I always created my fantasy christmas list. I still love a catalogue.

Yiayia4 Wed 04-Mar-20 14:26:30

Yes love a catalogue,
my favourite being Joe Brown,love the quirky retro styles and just bought a dress for a wedding in June,very pleased with it.

Nico97 Wed 04-Mar-20 14:52:52

Aah...Empire Stores - now there's a catalogue to remember from way back in the day. Loved trawling through this catalogue when growing up, my Mum used to run "a club" and used the commission to pay for little treats smile

ninathenana Wed 04-Mar-20 15:08:04

I've just picked one up off the mat too and am looking forward to perusing.
I have more willpower though smile I will save mine for afternoon tea time.

Sussexborn Wed 04-Mar-20 15:19:53

Most of my clothes growing up came from my older cousin who was brought up by our grandmother. Frumpy to say the least. My gran was against her children marrying and failed but my cousin didn’t stand a chance.

I can well remember two brand new dresses bought presumably for a holiday in Ireland. I was actually allowed to choose them myself. One was pretty standard and the other was a white twist dress with multi coloured stripes on the flared skirt.

Two tops delivered this morning.

timetogo2016 Wed 04-Mar-20 15:20:27

I loved catalogue shopping.
Kays/Great universal/John Mills were the ones i shopped with.
It was in the 70`s/80`s when I couldn`t afford to just go and buy outright.
I would spend ages looking through them and ordering what took my fancy.
I earned a good commission too which I would build up.
Today it`s Sainsburys nectar points I had over £100 before Christmas happy days.

TrendyNannie6 Wed 04-Mar-20 15:26:13

I used to love the Kay’s catalogue and the freeman’s one which had an outlet not far from where I lived, I’ve never stopped loving looking at clothes, Haven’t received a catologue through my door for quite a few months now, wonder why

kittylester Wed 04-Mar-20 15:38:52

I used to love all the catalogues when I was young but also loved the Next Directory.

Now I love Kettlewell, Seasalt, Woolovers, Moshulu and Lakeland!:grin

annep1 Wed 04-Mar-20 15:43:26

When I was young I had to buy from catalogues and pay in instalments as my mum got most of my pay. It was so exciting when I got home to a parcel waiting.
Nowadays I like just looking through catalogues especially those with expensive clothes that I couldn't afford. I often send for a catalogue just for the fun of perusing it.

BlueSky Wed 04-Mar-20 16:26:13

I used to when younger and strap for cash. Thank goodness we could buy clothes by instalments! Now I just browse the web for anything.

loopyloo Wed 04-Mar-20 17:27:07

For me it's gardening catalogues. I must not order any more roses.......

Alishka Wed 04-Mar-20 17:45:36

A neighbour of my mum's ran the Grattan catalogue - anyone remember that one?
The excitement when a new one came out, and more excitement when our ordered clothes arrived!

callgirl1 Wed 04-Mar-20 22:16:07

My mother ran Grattan`s many years ago, all through my childhood, and my eldest daughter ran the Littlewoods catalogue. Nowadays, my favourite one to peruse, and sometimes order from, is Damart, especially when they have good offers on.

JackyB Thu 05-Mar-20 07:19:57

When a catalogue arrives, I grab a pad of sticky notes and sit down with it, bookmarking pages with things that take my fancy.

Then I read through again and leave only one or two in, as I've changed my mind about most of the items (wrong price, material, or some detail I don't like)

A few days later I'll go through again and end up removing all the stickers and throwing the catalogue away!

annep1 Thu 05-Mar-20 08:47:01

Good idea JackyB

bikergran Thu 05-Mar-20 08:52:46

I remember my first catalogue think it was John Mores.

I would browse though the dresses etc and order what I thought looked good, only to find when it come and I tried it on I looked like a bag of spuds that had been dragged through a hedge. hmm

But what I did love was the free gifts one was a hand blender which I had for years, the other a little round bbq on 3 legs.
Oh how we used that little bbq for around 10 years, it lasted for ever. smile

Calendargirl Thu 05-Mar-20 09:08:22

And all these catalogues end up recycled hopefully. How many trees are we chopping down to indulge a few minutes of window shopping?

polyester57 Thu 05-Mar-20 09:24:24

I spent many happy hours as a child playing with models cut out of clothing catalogues and rooms cut from Good Homes, a make-believe world of beautiful people living in beautiful homes.